Used 1999 Pontiac Montana Minivan Consumer Reviews

Used Montana for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

nice van - poor quality

Randy P, 03/24/2005

I have owned the Montana for about 4 years. I purchased it used with 40K miles. I like the ride, the comfort and the features. I do not like the poor quality and the continual repairs. Engine gasket leak, fuel gauge went out requiring replacement of whole fuel system at hundreds of dollars. Even a simple brake job is expensive because the rotors have to be replaced the first time because they were built with no room to turn them even once. Electrical problems with water leakage into lights caused the whole system to act up costing hundreds to diagnose and fix.... etc etc etc.

Repairs plus Repairs

Kevin M., 09/02/2005

Just lost the tranny the other day with only 62,000 miles and most of the miles on the vehicle are highway miles. The heating system has been a disappointment from day one. Power Window and Door Locks have been more problems that what they are worth. Over $800 were spent on trying to diagnose why the service engine light was on, only to have it come on again and have the dealer say a valve is going out in the transmission, but it won't hurt to drive it - right? The van was religiously serviced but apparently the American quality just isn't there. I have a problem when you pay over $25,000 for a new vehichle and it has major system failures only after 62,000 miles.

8 years ... $0 in repairs

pjk, 09/05/2006

Knock on wood. So far our "99" Pontiac Montana has been just about flawless and has not cost us one red cent in repairs so far. We bought it new and are very pleased with this Van. We had some minor problems that were fixed when taking it in for inspections at not cost to us. We had a minor leak in the rear hatch.. one of the seat switches was replaced which we really didn't know was bad and the sliding door was recalled to have it recalibrated the door has never failed. The van still looks like new and still has it's original exhaust. We get a easy 25 mpg on the road. We will be buying a new vehicle next year... we will most likely buy another GM v

Watch your wallet

marauder, 04/04/2007

We have replaced the following since purchasing new in 1999: head gasket at 75K followed by 3.4L V6 engine at 125K. Intake manifold gasket failure is the likely culprit. Not through yet. Engine trouble light continues to display with replacement engine. CD player quit working at 30K. Pontiac Customer Service offered no goodwill assistance. Total cost of major repairs so far = $6K. Driving excitement = zero.

An excellent Mini Van

Dave10541, 04/19/2003

Since 9/11 we have been very aprehensive about flying as a family, so we have been driving everywhere. Two years ago we drove from NY to FL. During this 24 hour drive we well all very comfortable and delighted with the performance of the Montana. Since then we have gone back to FL, driven to MI, & MA a few times. The Van is more comfortable to drive than my family sedan. I am very happy with the product and intend to by another.

Satisfied Buyer

Saundra Lockhart, 07/15/2007

I bought my 99 Montana new as a demo. I bought the extended warranty bumper to bumper for 100,000 miles. I did have transmission problems at 95,000 miles but the repairs were covered under the warranty. That was the only major repair. Now it has 145,000 miles and I still drive it every day. Most of the miles are city driving, but I also make cross country trips every year. Now I am giving this Montana to my son who starts college this fall. I will buy a new car.

None better

Pontiac, 08/09/2007

We bought our Montana new and have had very good luck with it. We just got back from another trip to NY and got 28 mpg.. very good for a 4,000 lb safe vehicle. We get approx 30,000 on a set of average tires and 30,000 miles on brake pads, unlike stories I hear from other vans. The body looks like new. The galvanized body panels are the best, they resist rust better than any other metal. The original stainless steel exhaust will last much longer. It's still in great shape. The interior does not show wear after all this time. The best interior material we ever had. Our Montana has moved, hauled and transported many kids and material. We will be buying another Pontiac.

Love My Van

B C Harvey, 11/14/2007

I purchased this van and immediately was impressed with the comfort since I have 4 major disabilities with my lower back. Secondly, it was fun to drive and felt like a solid (no rattles)automobile. Being a 7 passenger is handy at times as I live in Sr. housing and often transport my friends to and from their appointments. And, they are also impressed with the can and the comfort.

montana review

mkeehender, 03/26/2003

The vehicle is veratile with good seating. The quality is poor and GM's response has been poor. They failed to replace a transmission solenoid that failed at 31,000 and 72000 miles respectively the second time it failed. The water pump and manifold seal failed at 58,000. The digital displays have intermittant failures. The 3.4 liter engine is not as good as previously offered 3.8 liter engines.

Good van, w/ problems

mdmom, 06/17/2003

It has run really well - handles great. BUT, the lcd in radio and fuel gauge do not work. Plastic radio buttons wore off - looks really bad. It's been a pretty good van, wish these little problems hadn't arisen b/c it takes away the pleasant experience we've had w/ van.

12345...6