Used 1999 Pontiac Montana Minivan Consumer Reviews

Used Montana for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

worth decreases too fast

kim Pettus, 03/16/2004

Overall satisfied, jsut ready for a change

Don"t buy it!!! Unreliable

hflood, 07/02/2006

I have owned this car since 2002 and it has had muliple problems. Last year the engine went out at only 70,000 miles. It has been sitting for a year now. TOTAL LEMON!!!

Buy a different van

PatS, 07/17/2004

This minivan is nice to look at but it pretty much ends there. I had to put a new transmission in it at 90k kms and just blew the second tranny 100k kms later. Wipers run into each other, intake manifold leaked, seat fabric is subpar and is starting to deteriorate, back door latch and key lock no longer work and the body has already shown signs of rust. Front bumper lost all its paint within the first 3 months of ownership. Airbag light comes on when it feels like it. All in all this was a very expensive dissapointment.

So far-so good

Shangshang, 07/22/2004

This is the first review of our (new to us) 1999 Pontiac Montana. We have a huge extended family and a total of 5 so far in ours. We are a softball/ baseball family as well and travel to tournaments. I will report our findings both good and bad as this seems to be a very solid van. By the way I am 6'2" @ 235lbs and I FIT IN THIS VAN! Woo-hoo..

Pretty to start

Driving Dad, 07/27/2004

We bought this new and enjoyed it greatly. This was our 2nd choice, the honda van was not available at a reasonable price. The initial ride, power and economy were as promised. The dealership offered the car at a reasonable price fully optioned. Now with 130,000 miles it is long in the tooth and not aging gracefully. Even with careful maintainance there are too many nickle and dime problems. Warrenty repairs: trip computer, radio, seatbelts, power door, power window. Non Warrenty repairs: Intake gasket at 70k (900.00 repair avoided using 2.00 can of stop leak , still holding at 130k), c/v joint, a/c compressor, air shocks, brake calipers & rotors.

Wish they made them past 2004

Wart, 07/26/2004

Wish they wouldn't stop making these.

What were they thinking?

S. Brooks, 11/08/2004

From the beginning, we thought we were purchasing the best mini-van on the market in looks, reliability, and performance. Okay, we got the looks but what were they thinking with the realiability adn performance? We have been back to the dealership several times. No, we didn't purchase the extended warranty on the used vehicle but who would have thought we would need to with an American made vehicle? Where's the American pride? We've had numerous inconvenient problems such as power windows not working, electronic sliding door opening while going down the road, gas gauge not working, cup holders breaking easily, directional not working, coolant problems -- so far over $2,000 in costs plus!

engineered to fail

leefan32, 12/31/2004

Owned it for 3 years now and everything I heard would fail did. I even changed the tranny fluid and antifreeze when I bought it at 20000 miles (32000km) but this year the tranny was revving high before changing gears and failed, then 3 months later there is a slight smell of antifreeze when the engine is warm and we find out the intake gasket is leaking - this is all before hitting 50000 miles (80000km). I know 4 other people who have similar vans and have had the same things changed. I bought the vehicle with really low miles so i wouldn't have to buy the ext warranty MISTAKE! if you get suckered into buying this do youself a favour get the ext warranty cause you will need it!

Love the room...watch out for manifold

Cold Weather Guy, 02/19/2005

Bought this van when we started having a family...it's a perfect family vehicle. The EXT offers seating for 8 AND room for cargo. Have used it like a truck (with seats out) and of course as the family vanster on extended trips... have really been pleased with everything - except chronic problems with the intake manifold gasket. Original plastic part couldn't be torqued properly... extreme temp changes in northern climates led to expansion/contraction which caused leaks. Replaced manifold gasket at 47,000 and again at 66,000 mi (thankfully before antifreeze could gum up engine). GM has re-engineered the part (and assure this chronic problem has been fixed)... the second repair GM paid 80%.)

what I think of my Pontiac Montana

Harold Bryant, 03/07/2005

I bought the vehicle new. It has 51000 miles on it. Tires are about a year old. I'm 76 years old and am wanting a new one like it. It has an extended warranty good until august of this year.

12345...6