Used 1999 Pontiac Montana Minivan Consumer Reviews

Used Montana for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

Love it /HATE it

Number One, 05/18/2002

We bought this new and had it dealer maintained regularly since new. First 2 years OK, then PROBLEMS. Electrical, electrical, cooling system, intake gasket, etc... We love the van when it works but became more and more afraid of what would break next. Sounds like a fairly common problem - check the messages on some of the other boards. We took a hit on our trade but dumped it to buy a NON-GM minivan. Sad and too bad - GM we must part ways. Previous Pontiac was not much better - I guess now we learned. CANNOT recommend this van unless you want to just sit in it without driving anywhere.

Junker

michigan, 05/21/2002

Purchased new in 10/98 and traded 5/2002. It was loaded and we used it for travel. Had 65,000 primarily highway miles when traded. Had to have a new transmission at 48,000 miles and continual power door problems for 2 years. I had intended to keep but got tired of electical problems eg drivers power window and power door, shaking, bouncy ride. Glad to get rid of it. Always had it serviced at the dealership and they were good.

Good buy but dealer is less than helpful

Maria M, 06/03/2002

The van is great! We're having problems with the dealer not wanting to correct a brake problem we found when we bought it. Otherwise we like the van :)

I'm not a minivan owner, am I?...

R Schmidt, 06/13/2002

Never in my wildest dreams could I imagine someone as cool and as hip as ME would ever buy a minivan, but I've got to admit, this has been a great vehicle. From vacations to baseball tournaments, the Montana has handled all that I've thrown at it and has performed admirably. I get about 26 mph, which is crucial when you dive as much as I do. After 118,000 miles, you would expect SOMETHING to want to fall of the vehicle, but the most I've had to do to it is replace the master cylinder. One con: it does not handle well in icy conditions (I couldn't write a completely glowing review!!!).

A Great Visit to Montana

John Fielding, 07/19/2002

After steering clear of General Motors vans, in 1999 we purchased the newly designed Montana. We have been so pleased that we just traded it for the 2002 model. We drive other vans for rental or the ones owned by our children. The Montana has the best interior room and handling. We have had no problems in 44,000 miles. We believe it is a top quality vehicle.

the pontiac montana

smiley, 09/06/2002

we were in a car accident and my two children were not hurt. The rear end that was hit at about 35 mph was damaged and was almost totalled but we all walked away from the crash with very minial injuries.

Wont get fooled again

mv, 10/19/2002

Bought my 1999 Montana new in 99 and since then have had to repair/replace the entertainment system , power door , and transmission and the vehicle doesnt have 45000 miles on it. Was hoping to drive it into the ground (10 years or more) but I dont believe gm builds anything of that quality any more. My previous vehicle (a new 94 gmc jimmy) had an engine which seized at 60k under warranty but the dealer couldnt fix the engine properly and I had to dump that gm headache too. Until gm starts building with a little quality in mind I wouldnt consider their products . If you want a minivan spend a few $ more and buy a Honda like I'm going to have to .

Very Pleased with the Montana

BEEBOZ, 01/04/2003

First minivan and I was quite surprised at how well it has done. Power from the 3400 engine is outstanding. Seats are comfortable and easy to remove. Gas mileage is exceptional (19/24). Great family truckster.

Montana

foster, 01/09/2003

The electrical functions of this car were always a concern to us. Also the interior parts of the car that are made up of plastic cracked or broke and needed to be replaced.

5 years old and no out of pocket repairs

Garch, 07/31/2003

We bought our 7 passenger Transport with the Montana package 10/98 for family vacations. We have had no unexpected repairs, but it has been recalled twice. We maintain it by the book. After 3 trips from the midwest to Orlando and numerous 1000 mile, or more, trips we are still confident in the van. We just used an Expedition for a trip with 8 people to San Antonio. It was a surprise that the Pontiac has more driver, passenger and cargo room than the SUV (not to mention 7 mpg better economy and half the insurance costs). We will either replace the present Minivan with another or perhaps a Yukon XL. But will not even consider the cramped Expedition.

12345...6