Used 2001 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Oldsmobile Alero

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

You wonder why GM is in trouble!
By whitealleycat

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The 2001 Oldsmobile Alero is a piece of junk. I had more problems than you can imagine with it, far too many to list. The windows were scratched from the power windows, electrical problems, wheel bearing, brakes (x3), ABS sensors, you name it. This car was a money pit. When I tried to sell it, it was worth nothing. I basically gave it away and the poor kid who bought it, broke down after two hours of owning it. What a nightmare. Avoid this car or any GM product. They don't stand behind there name. When your warranty runs out, your screwed. I'm looking at a Subaru now. I swear I got 300 kms out of a tank of gas.

The Alero had great pep and really handled nicely. It was a great car to drive fast, but you paid for it at the pumps.

Stop building them...oh they did. Good, now crush the rest and recycle the metal and build some reliable cars. GM has a lot to learn. At least Chrysler figuered it out.

Good Car
By Rick

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Alero, I did have some brake issues at first, but GM replaced the brakes and rotors and I have not had any problems since. I have over 70,000 miles and love the 2.4L engine. I just replaced the original tires. Overall this is a good car.

The looks and sound system.

Give it better cup holders.

fun but not reliable
By a

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Nice ride, very quick 6 cyl, got new rack and pinion, bad starting noise and hesitation, new power steering pump, new e-brake, new speakers and ignition parts many times. Very good sounding speakers. New alternator. New head gasket. No more american for me. Don't look in the future to see Aleros go 200k miles.

Acceleration, traction control, handling, design, speakers.

Rotors, ignition, reliability in general. Make a car that'll outlive a Honda without the rust.

2001 Oldsmobile Alero
By Blcofee

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The only problems I have had with my 2001 Oldsmobile Alero are with the intake manifold. My Alero had 31,000 when I purchased and at around 41,000 miles the intake manifold went bad. It was just by the grace on of God that my car was still under warranty! I enjyed driving this car when I first boight it, and I still do. It does have many large blind spots though.

The sound system and gas mileage.

Improve the rear coffee holder, it keeps coming off so it is of little or no use to me! The alloy rims cost entirely too much!

Typical GM Quality
By GMCustomerNoMore

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The one thing I can count on with the Alero is that I'll have to spend $600 every year to replace a wheel speed sensor. The brake rotors warp, it has hard starting, it needed a head gasket replacement, it has shaky side mirrors, it has a terrible front cup holder design, and now it has an intermittent power window problem with the driver's door. These problems have all piled up to ensure that my next car will not be from GM. At least my car is stylish (okay, for 2001 maybe), fun to drive, peppy, and has never left me stranded at the side of the road (knock on wood). I don't know why GM insists on using replacement wheel speed sensors with the same defect as the original, and why they can't make the 3.4L start like every other car -- only 2-3 seconds of cranking!

The seats are comfortable, exterior design is attractive, gauges are well laid-out, and I like the automatic headlamps.

Ha ha, little too late for this one -- properly desgned/built wheel speed sensors and brake rotors. Acknowlegement from GM that the starting issues are abnormal...