Used 2001 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Oldsmobile Alero

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

A great all-around car
By W. Tersch

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Alero certified used five years ago, and it remains a beautiful and practical car inside and out. Low mileage Oldsmobile are one of the best bargains out there and have served several friends well too. I replaced a power steering pump and a ventilation resistor under warranty, and a small screw cover fell off, but other than that, smooth sailing for daily driving and road trips after 70k miles. This car handles Chicago winters well with its wide tires, front wheel drive, traction control, and ABS. Still in love with it!

The torquey 3.4 L provides responsive power and up to 32 MPG for this relatively lightweight car, and the leather interior with sun & sound package is excellent. Great 8-speaker audio. The folding seats have allowed me to transport two bikes and three people inside the car.

Front cup holder is a bit tight; rear cup holder is chintzy but effective.

Nice Investment
By Drew Anderson

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Alero brand new, and loved it. I got it fully loaded so it makes the car a lot nicer. The only thing that's ever gone wrong for me was the Trans and I had a clogged cat. I replaced the Trans and just put a straight pipe over the cat so it's all good. Still love this car and everything i got with it.

Really loved the Premium Sound System, and the Moon Roof. I also enjoyed the leather seats and the Handling.

The 3300 transmission series for starters, and I don't like the closed trans pan. Makes everything harder!

Merry Christmas! I keep my dash board...
By JC

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Lights on all year long! My car is paid for and has been for some time. This is a good thing because it costs so much to keep it running! Wheel hubs, bearings, brakes, $$tires. I would tell anyone who asks not to buy an Alero, it is a complete lemon. I bought this car brand new, I have taken it to the Oldsmobile dealer for repair and no one can seem to fix my car. My dashboard lights are back on two weeks after it is "fixed." anti-lock, service vehicle soon, service engine soon, trac off always on!

It looks good.

Nice Car
By Pete

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my Alero since 2001 and it had 37 miles on it. It has been a great car overall with very few issues other than the standard that any 7 year old car needs. It has been a good family car, commuting car and its fun to use the V6 to get up and go when needed. Gas mileage has averaged in the high twenties and even by todays V6 standards that still seems good to me.

As you accelerate the volume on the radio automatically turns up slightly to compensate

The one improvement that stands out is that the defogger switch is picky, sometimes it works and sometimes you only know its working when the ice starts to melt.

No more GM cars!
By Luke

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car used at about 60,000 miles and have put on another 60,000 driving to school/work. Driving and fuel efficiency aren't bad (although there's a big difference between winter and summer MPGs), but maintenance is a constant headache. I was actually vindicated to read on some of these other reviews about problems I've had: the leaky gasket issue, wheel bearings, starters, etc. Overall a sub-par vehicle which was obviously designed to last about 70-80 thousand miles and then be thrown away. Next car: something dependable like a Toyota or Honda - if my Alero is still worth anything at trade in when I can finally pay off the loan, that is.

Decent engine power, can be driven quite fast and still in control. Nice premium rims. Nice stereo features ( especially the "song info" feature). Beyond the flash, however, basically it's a husk of what a quality car should be. Dealers do notice this and take advantage by overpricing it, too.

Too late now - Oldsmobile's gone! If you own an Alero or are considering buying one, though, I'd suggest you improve your car to something better and more reliable.