Used 2000 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used Alero for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...7

Pros
Cons

pass on it

jim williams, 04/13/2004

Numerous problems with wheel bearings, brakes, wheel sensors, and turn signal switches. In the shop every week. True story-went to trade it at a local GM dealer. He said, "no offense but I cant take it on trade, those things are junk."

Trouble free vehicle

jqxwl, 06/09/2004

I purchased this vehicle on 6/18/2000. Besides regular services, I have never brought it to car garage! And it is still in great shape! Very stable and reliable!

great car for my family

alleng, 07/04/2004

I have really enjoyed this car. Has performed well for what I needed. If you are a traveler, probably not the best option, but does well for teenagers and small families. I've had one brake problem. No other major issues. Gas milleage is great!

So near and yet so far

rdeschene, 07/10/2004

My wife and I both love this car - torquey V6, good handling and steering, about 30mpg(US) hwy, very comfortable front seats, good visibility, nice styling with the rear spoiler, decent price as a 1yr old car. What has been disappointing are the mechanical failures which I KNOW GM knows how to prevent -- I didn't have any of these problems with my previous Corsica. At 107,000km we have replaced both front bearings, the fuel tank sender, the interior fan resistor and the button on the auto shifter TWICE. I am quite certain GM knows how to make front bearings that don't wearout in 100,000km. There's no excuse for it and it makes me hesitant to buy GM next time.

Decent value.

alerodriver, 08/11/2004

Bought in 2000... no problems after they recalled the brakes in 02 (they had to replace pads twice). Trunk a little small but no other problems. Great commuter. I replaced the fuel filter at 60k and oil changes is all. I added an aftermarked spoiler (the same one that is on the 6 cyl) to my base model for 300$, improves the looks greatly. Would buy again in the same situation.

I agree

chairmanfat, 11/14/2004

All the same problems: brake rotors that are worthless, a recall on the turn signal problem, and a rapid depreciation but I like the car. Weird. When I think of the crap I could have bought for same money ( I went in with a budget and stuck to it) I really like the car. I won't buy from GM again though. The last American car I owned was in 1984. There just isn't any excuse for the problems they have with this car. They must do it on purpose, seriously. They can't be this stupid.

Worst Car I Have Ever Owned!

nick, 03/13/2005

This looked like a really nice car. The first year changed that! Constant brake problems, transmisson problems, and broken interior switches. After about 4 years and 80,000 miles all sorts of things went wrong! I replaced alternator, starter, fuel pump, wheel bearings, and the ignition system( because a cheaply made plastic cover cracked and fried the whole system!) Olsmobile would look for any reason not to honor the warranty and were constantly difficult to deal with! I can see why they went out of business. It is too bad, I paid a lot of money for a very poorly made car and I will never buy American again! It is really too bad!

Wish I hadn't

Unhappy, 10/14/2005

I bought an Oldsmobile Alero because of it's easy handling. I wish I hadn't. Luckily some of the problems have been covered under the warranty, but now that's up and I might as well have a car payment with the money I spend on the thing. I've replaced the rotors, brakes, cruise control and much more. The interior is falling apart with the upolstery sundamaging very very easily. I wouldn't recommend this car to anyone at all.

Like the car, but not the problems

Lynette, 03/21/2003

I liked how it looked(sort of like a Mustang).The first year I had my gear shift break. I did have problems with my turn signal. It wouldn't work, unless I hit the hazzard lights and then turn the hazzard lights off quickly. ROTOR problems...it eats them up! I found out that it is actually a design problem that I think GM should have a recall on. The tires are not rotating straight, but at an angle, like a shimmy....they need to shim the rotors to fix the problem...but of course you'll have to pay for it! The tires will cost you about $500. It's hard to tell when the AC light is on in the day time. The dash is peeling on the driver's side.

3 Year Update from 11/09/03 Post

us_blueskirt, 10/02/2006

The milage and performance has dramatically decreased over the last year! The only real issue outside of that was a problem with the flasher system, which was fixed by a factory recall on the assembly. I can't really complain about the performance...It's got just over 165,000 miles on it. The performance didn't waiver until it hit around 120,000 miles, but it's been downhill since then. I keep up with all 'scheduled' maintenance and it seems to work for this car. It is very reliable...I still take long trips on a regular basis!

12345...7