Used 2000 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used Alero for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...7

Pros
Cons

Do your research before purchasing

Craftina, 08/20/2003

We bought this car when it was already a year old with about 36K miles on it. About 2 months after we got it, the radio has this problem where it won't stay programmed. We have to turn it on every single time we turn the car on. The dealership didn't know why it was doing that, so it never got fixed. It just left my familystranded on the high way after the fule pump went out in the middle of Alabama (we lived in NC. That among various other repairs needed that I don't have room for. Just do your research.

Alero

Konrad Romero, 09/17/2003

I have owned the car for almost 3 years and I have to commute 100 miles a day. The car has been great. I do all of my service to the vehicle. The performance and reliability is all there. I have to count on this car daily. I have not had any major mechanical flaws. The only problem was the passenger’s window regulator went out on the vehicle about 60,000 miles. Currently I have 87,000 miles on the car. I highly recommend changing the fuel filter frequently about every 20,000 miles. The car is close to being stock; I have a K&N air filter and Bosch 4 prong platinum plugs which made a difference in performance and fuel economy. I am very pleased with this car.

Several problems ruin a nice car

c34j46, 09/19/2003

The rotors made by GM are junk and should have been recalled but GM refused to recall the part. My new brand new rotors and pads were pulsating after only 3500 miles. My turn signals would not work at least once a week and then magically start to work again so the switch needs to be replaced. Rear stabilzer bars had to be replaced to stop the annoying squeak the car would make after even the smallest bumps in the road. I'm looking to buy some aftermarket rotors which hopefully will last more than 3500 miles. I think the brakes on my ten speed bicycle would have stopped the car more efficiently than the junk GM puts on the car.

No More Olds

FootballMom, 10/06/2003

The worst car I have ever owned. The brakes are a continual problem. The gear shift button has been replaced. The cruise control is broken. The rear door upholstery is peeling up. And last but not least, the dash board is peeling. The Olds dealer says it was caused by the sun and will cost $1200 to repair and my car is only worth $3500. GM Customer service says since my car has 90,000+ miles on it, they will not do anything about it. I told them my 94 Toyota Camry and my 97 Jeep Cherokee had no such problems and I will never purchase another GM product.

Its been good to me!

chridan, 11/08/2003

This car has been great! Have had it almost 4 years and haven't had any problems with it.

A Powerful Pleasant Suprise!

us_blueskirt, 11/09/2003

This car was purchased 3yrs old with about 40K mi...In 11 mos I've put another 20k+...Multiple trips from E TN to FL, VA, TX, GA, and DC; plus a 40mi comute to work every day. This is a fantastic little car in city and OTR! It feels like driving a sporty car. It responds better if you keep an almost religious maintenance schedule. Great handling and power getting on and off the interstate and around these mountain curves. I run this car very hard and I'm very pleased with it so far. As I set out for another trip to TX..there is not a single doubt that this little car will get me there and back with pleasure!

My Expensive Mistake

sam2000, 12/23/2003

I liked the features and styling when I bought this car, but the build quality has turned out to be very disappointing. The rear rotors are scored deeply with plenty of pad remaining. Had to have all the windows replaced due to the glass getting scratched every time the windows were lowered and raised. Cruise control switch went bad. Power window switches went bad.... three times. Many minor electrical problems. Dash board also had to be replaced. No problems with the power train so far (45k mi.), but I don't trust the car anymore after so many problems; and with the awful resale value, I can't afford to get rid of it.

Nice Vehicle Thus Far

Margaret, 09/14/2005

I purchased my used 2000 Alero GLS in July 2005. I have all of the service records and the only problem I have, thus far, is the peeling of the door handles. There was only one previous owner and the car is under an extended warranty. When I initially purchased it, there were approximately 43,000 miles on it. Not bad for a 2000 car of any sort. I paid cash for it and it is definitely a nice ride for the money (I could never afford a brand new one). I was also a previous Honda owner (Value Package sedan). I like my choice. It has a lot more features than the Honda or any other car I have owned. I am going to stick it out! I think GM should definitely stay keep the Alero.

Sporty Ride

RKP, 01/17/2004

This is a great ride, sporty and great acceleration for a 170 HP engine. I like it's cornering ability no push in the tight corners. Layout is good, night lighting excellent. The ride is solid Excellent handling capability. I am very satisfied mechanically but am looking for a softer and more plush ride.

Do not buy this car!

Caseyc, 03/03/2004

This car is mediocre at best. I have had numberous problems with this car. In the 3 years I have owned this car, I have replaced the brakes 5 times, the cruise quit working, the middle overhead light pops out and falls out on occasion, the upholstry on the dash has begun to pull up, both of the electric front windows have broke twice, the right front sun visor clip broke and my blinkers quit working. I definitely would not recommend purchasing this vehicle.

12345...7