Used 2000 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used Alero for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...7

Pros
Cons

Great car!

kr, 10/13/2008

I have owned this vehicle for almost 8 years. I bought it in 2001 and it only had about 9000 miles on it. It was previously a rental car out of the state of Washington. This car still runs almost like new! I change the oil every 3000 miles and do basic maintenance (very minimal). This car has had a security problem (fixed for about $300.00 with no other problems), and also has had the rotors replaced 2x but I guess that should be expected with 180,000 miles. This has been a GREAT car and I would highly recommend it. I am even considering buying another when this one finally quits.

loved it!

lovedmyalero, 05/07/2002

I just traded in my alero gl 4dr for an suv. But I really miss it! The car was fun to drive. I put 30,000 miles on it with just some minor problems all covered under the warranty. It can do 0 to 60 in just seconds. It's fast, racey and great looking. I feel like I'm driving a sports car. Too bad they are not made anymore. I had to trade it in because I needed a 4wd car. But otherwise, I loved it and I miss it.

Great car

jon, 07/14/2009

This is a good strong car built by GM. I've driven it to the ground and have had to replace rotors, a/c and a few electrical components. It's definitely a well-built car. I've experienced some problems mentioned by other people here, such as the peeling dash, and some paint problems on the hood, but otherwise I'm satistied with the car. In town mpg is about 20 when I drive like a madman, but on the highway i get closer to 36mpg. Pretty good for a car with decent umph. Steering, throttle and breaks a lot more responsive than many japanese cars that i've drive.

Good Car

Bradley James, 07/12/2002

I have had very few problems with this car, I had a bad multifuntion switch that caused the turn signals not to work, but it was fixed under warenty. The only other complaint i have is that it is a four cyl. but it gets worse gas milage than most 6 cyl. cars, and also the 4 cyl. motor is quite noisy

Good Car

Mr. Markus, 09/24/2002

This has been a very good car overall. Especially like the traction control and ABS. On the highway this car gets over 30 miles to the gallon, with the air conditioner on. Small problems, strut broke, driver window power motor, but all were fixed with the warranty.

2000 Alero GLS Sedan

GLS Owner, 12/18/2002

Within the first 9000 mile iI realized that I can't get more than 24 miles to the gallon and my rotors were warped, although I had plenty of pad left.After 4000 more miles(twice) I turned them at my own cost. Then had to replace them all. My right side driver seat bolster pulled off so I am driving around with a metal bar against my back.The problem is WARRANTEE and SERVICE no car is perfect!

A little short on quality

rmc, 12/21/2002

The good: torquey engine, handling, braking (but see below); exterior paint/finish/styling; sound system. The bad: front brakes replaced at 28K miles-- rotors warp easily & sound creaky; interior material cheap/unrefined; poor seal on driver's side door caused sound system to short out on wet days; hazard switch went through dash (the last straw). Overall: A pretty good car with nice features that lacks refinement & compromises a little too much on quality. Was not sorry to let mine go after 56.5K miles.

Stay away from this car.

Aubreysdad, 07/23/2003

Bought used from CarMax dealer. After two months (only 29k miles on car), fuel pump has to be replaced, side mirror breaks off and replaced, dash starts peeling away and repaired, shifter nob breaks and replaced. Sure, a little less expensive than Japanese, but you'll pay more in the long run. Went back to CarMax, took $1800 hickie on appraisal, and traded in for Honda.

Fits Like a Glove

Alero Boy, 08/18/2003

I bought my first Alero GLS Sedan in 2000. I loved this car since I first saw it in 98 at the Auto Show. It's a good mix sportiness and class. The brake rotors are worthless. I went through 4 sets, all during the warranty. The intake manifold gasket needed to be replaced at 50k, which was after warranty period. I sold 4 of my friends on Alero & they also had the same problems and nothing more. I traded in for an 03 GLS Coupe this passed February to take advantage of the $5000 in rebates I qualified for. Too bad GM is dropping Olds; it's the only division that actually has what it takes to compete with the imports.

bob's review

lotus halldorson, 09/06/2003

This is a fun car to drive with plenty of power a sporty feel.

12345...7