Used 2000 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used Alero for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...7

Pros
Cons

don't do it

ready to get rid of , 06/18/2003

At 9000 miles, brakes went out on me three times. Had to replace brakes a rotors. At 23000 had to replace fuel pump, at 31000 replaced power steering pump. Doors stay messed up, have had three of the four doors fixed at different times. Fuel gauge is off, have to find a station at little over quarter tank. Drivers window won't roll down, already fixed passengers window in back also.Its gonna cost over three hundred dollars to fix the window. Pass side door stays stuck now. Door locks possessed, they click locked unlocked on their own continuiously, have to take out the fuse to get them to stop. Lots of road noise also.

Bye-bye Olds

mountainman68, 09/09/2003

Maybe it is good GM is axing Olds. This was a "program" car, so maybe it was abused before we got it, but before 75000 miles we had a motor mount break, coolant leak from intake manifold, 3 full brake jobs, twice in shop for driveability - one was an air sensor. Don't remember the other problem. Continuous intermittent electrical problems that dealer can't find. I'm glad I bought an extended warranty. (too bad the brakes weren't covered) I do like the sporty styling and V6 performance, but interior is too small and car cannot be trusted. I will be trading it in the very near future. I will not be buying another GM product. Period.

WORST CAR EVER!

Katy, 01/01/2005

My 2000 Alero has been a nightmare! Six months after buying it I had to have the brakes replaced (two more times since then). The dash board and door upholstery is peeling up, I've had to have three of the motors replaced in my power windows ($200 per window), the alternator has been replaced twice, and have had numerous electrical problems. This is the worst car I have ever had!

Not the best

danny, 04/03/2006

It may look good, but the 4-cylinder engine in the Alero was not made to last. I have had so many small problems with this car, it is a big headach. Furthermore, the interier is very cheap the dash looks like a raisin. If you buy a vehicle, buy a better class.

Tale of an Alero

Radkor, 11/11/2007

I bought my '00 Alero w/32000 mi in May '01 as an rebuildable. This car has been great! 37mpg. Fuel regulator replaced under warranty, Frt brakes & rotors rplcd at 50k, rears at 70k, tires every 55k. Replaced poorly designed pass dr window regulator for $70 via boneyard. $80 flasher was to be rplcd under warranty but GM stopped that because it was a rebuilable. I love that car, everyone thought the factory 8 spker CD was aftermarket, it is that good! I was never tired after 9hr drives, and I have a bad back. I beat that car, I learned how to do 360s in the Red Hot Rod, what my kids called it. drove 4yrs. Its my daughters' now.

Do Not BUY THIS CAR!

redlovely1, 06/13/2003

I was in love with my Alero when I first bought it. However, it's safety rating dropped and my auto insurance increased. Also it has this annoying clicking noise behind the hazard switch that the dealerships could not fix while it was under warranty and I took it 3 times. They kept changing the hazard switch, but the clicking continued. This car had lots of power, but with high miles (mine had 77K) it is worth $1 and starts having problems other cars would have at 100K +. Brakes were an issue.

Nice Car

lbsorensen, 05/15/2008

I bought this car 6 years ago. The kids were much smaller then. Now that they are leggy teens, the back seat is small for 3 of them. But I find that the car is a great family vehicle. nice body style, and fairly peppy.

B-E-A-UTIFUL!

SkaterHick, 12/24/2009

Over all an amazing car. Reliable, handles well in the snow, and over all speedy. the only draw backs would be a wavy interior on the dash.

Olds Alero is Great!

Matt Terpstra, 08/08/2002

the alero is an awesome car for the money. great looks and a blast to drive. too bad they're going away.

I Love Oldsmobiles!

Jennifer Carnahan, 09/22/2008

Bought my 2000 Alero used in 2005 when it had about 86,000 miles on it. I have never had a problem with my car. It has been a great first vehicle for me. Still runs great with 130,000 miles on it.

12345...7