Used 2000 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Alero for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

About to retire black beauty after 291,000km

mcalpine, 01/24/2013

I bought this car years ago used from a car dealer in Scarborough. It was very cheap (probably because of 5spd gear box and dent in hood) and my expectations were quite low. I just needed a car for the winter. It lasted a LOT longer than one winter. The 2.4l engine feels gutless in normal driving but when you put your foot down it picks up the pace nicely, albeit with plenty of noise which seems to be typical of GM four cylinders. I have full records of what has been replaced from new: Connecting pipe, small vacuum hose, blower motor resistor, rear window heating module, rear speakers, all struts/shocks/springs, gas cap, brakes x3 with new calipers, emerg brake cable, drivers seat back.

I'm going to miss this car

chris, 11/03/2010

My wife bought this car Brand New from the dealer. we've had it for 10 yrs now and its been wonderful. Very few problems the fuel pump went at 70k which i hear is very common, and we've replaced all the power window switches. everything else is great, very fun to drive and very roomy. I'm trading it in and I'm going to miss this car.

2000 alero after 11 years

mountaintop1, 11/14/2011

This has been a great car, great mileage, and very little problems. 108000 miles so far, can't complain I will be buying a new car soon, I hope it will be as good.

Oldsmobile NEEDS to Replace every Alero

Becky, 10/30/2007

I bought my vehicle in June of 2002, thus far I have replaced brakes, rotors, intake gasket, waterpump, fuel filter, power steering pump, and now my transmission is slipping, have any of you realized that there is n o way to check the transmission fluid on your own? Not to mention the tires I have had to replace. The dashboard is raised due to sun damage. It appears to me that a bunch of monkeys could have done better when they decided to build this car. I had contacted Oldsmobile many times and they seem quite content that a bunch of fools like us made them rich. The car is paid for, but the repair bills are adding up. I will NEVER buy AMerican Made Again!!!!!!!

Great Car

rjwolps, 09/15/2002

I love my Alero. I have had it a little over 2 years and have about 65,000 miles it. It runs great and I get about 34 mpg on the highway. It is very comfortable and fun to drive. It is a very good car for the money. The only complaint is the same compliant that I have had for other Olds' products - the brakes. They don't last and the rotors warp too easialy. I have a lot of miles on my car, but they are almost exclusively highway miles. The original brakes should have lasted a lot longer than about 40,000 because I don't use them that much.

Trash Heap

Wildplrbear, 11/07/2009

I have owned this car for 6 years and treated it like an old man would. It did not love me back, it constantly bit the hand that feed it. The car is horribly constructed. It has built in flaws that are unfixable and dangerous. It completely broke down with 112000 miles. By break down, I mean it gave up on life. I do not believe it is even ok to sell this car to someone. I plan on taking it to a junk yard and asking them to destroy it. Did not start 15% of the time because of security system issues, new bearings every 15K miles, windows that stop working every winter, bad head gaskets, bad intake gaskets, new breaks every 20K miles, shorting wires on a semiannual basis.

GM fooled me once but never again!

ihateGM!, 09/24/2010

This was my first new car buy ever. Peeling dashboard at 36K miles, rack & pinion and tie rods needed replaced at 38K miles. And I'll spare you all the other repairs under $500. Yes, I'm still driving it after 10 years, but when your car has $0 trade-in value at year 4, what choice does one have? (The dealer says to replace the dashboard is over $2000 to repair). My father was UAW and I never thought I'd say this but my next car won't be an American brand. GM, shame on you! The government bailout money will be the last penny of mine you'll ever get from me.

Stay away from GM

Patrick, 07/05/2008

Major repairs: Transmission blew up at 95,000 miles, although 80% of my driving is on the highway. Replaced fuel pump at 60,000. Minor repairs: Two stuck front calipers. 1 front wheel bearing, intermittent driver side power window. Leaking intake gasket and transmission gasket. Power steering hose disconnected. Fan resistor replaced twice. I do expect the car to have some things to fix once in a while, but I do not accept a premature transmission or fuel pump failure. GM, you fooled me.

Tickedoff, 07/14/2002

I own a 2000 gls, brakes are horrible, windshield leaks, problem w/turn signals (would not turn on until hazzard switch pressed several times) Not to mention it's not worth anything!

Great car for less!

Espfire, 07/25/2002

I feel the Oldsmobile division has taken a major criticism for a lineup that rivals Buick and Pontiac. Redesigned cars from the year 2000. The models have been safe, reliable and have outstanding body designs. Though a little behind in overall quality from Toyota and Honda, it really outshines Ford and the previously mentioned GM divisions. It will be a shame to see Oldsmobile go. People were catching on to the new look and feel of Olds and now GM simply gave up on a lineup that was making headway in a full market.

YOU'LL BE SORRY............I WAS !!!!!!!

kuld@N.J, 08/02/2002

Where do I start???It all started at 7000 miles.Matter a fact,it is still going on.The car was to the dealer about 13 times already.The problems were;check engine light(dealer said it was only gas cap problem,The next day I broke down on the highway.It turns out the guts inside the catalitic converter broke apart.It took 9 trips to the dealer to figure that one out and a lawyer.When that went so did the muffler.The light came on again,this time oxygen sensors blew.From there on the car has been back for a alternator,door gasket,gas cap problems and a fan motor next week.

Alero Happy

Vipersaint, 03/01/2002

Car is a nice size and handles exceptionally well for a sedan. Reasonable acceleration(this from a former Viper owner). Have heard of issues with brakes but no problems yet as of 31,000 miles. Reliable. Leather is cheap and will tear. Nevertheless, can recommend this car to anyone.

don't do it

ready to get rid of , 06/18/2003

At 9000 miles, brakes went out on me three times. Had to replace brakes a rotors. At 23000 had to replace fuel pump, at 31000 replaced power steering pump. Doors stay messed up, have had three of the four doors fixed at different times. Fuel gauge is off, have to find a station at little over quarter tank. Drivers window won't roll down, already fixed passengers window in back also.Its gonna cost over three hundred dollars to fix the window. Pass side door stays stuck now. Door locks possessed, they click locked unlocked on their own continuiously, have to take out the fuse to get them to stop. Lots of road noise also.

Bye-bye Olds

mountainman68, 09/09/2003

Maybe it is good GM is axing Olds. This was a "program" car, so maybe it was abused before we got it, but before 75000 miles we had a motor mount break, coolant leak from intake manifold, 3 full brake jobs, twice in shop for driveability - one was an air sensor. Don't remember the other problem. Continuous intermittent electrical problems that dealer can't find. I'm glad I bought an extended warranty. (too bad the brakes weren't covered) I do like the sporty styling and V6 performance, but interior is too small and car cannot be trusted. I will be trading it in the very near future. I will not be buying another GM product. Period.

WORST CAR EVER!

Katy, 01/01/2005

My 2000 Alero has been a nightmare! Six months after buying it I had to have the brakes replaced (two more times since then). The dash board and door upholstery is peeling up, I've had to have three of the motors replaced in my power windows ($200 per window), the alternator has been replaced twice, and have had numerous electrical problems. This is the worst car I have ever had!

Not the best

danny, 04/03/2006

It may look good, but the 4-cylinder engine in the Alero was not made to last. I have had so many small problems with this car, it is a big headach. Furthermore, the interier is very cheap the dash looks like a raisin. If you buy a vehicle, buy a better class.

Tale of an Alero

Radkor, 11/11/2007

I bought my '00 Alero w/32000 mi in May '01 as an rebuildable. This car has been great! 37mpg. Fuel regulator replaced under warranty, Frt brakes & rotors rplcd at 50k, rears at 70k, tires every 55k. Replaced poorly designed pass dr window regulator for $70 via boneyard. $80 flasher was to be rplcd under warranty but GM stopped that because it was a rebuilable. I love that car, everyone thought the factory 8 spker CD was aftermarket, it is that good! I was never tired after 9hr drives, and I have a bad back. I beat that car, I learned how to do 360s in the Red Hot Rod, what my kids called it. drove 4yrs. Its my daughters' now.

Do Not BUY THIS CAR!

redlovely1, 06/13/2003

I was in love with my Alero when I first bought it. However, it's safety rating dropped and my auto insurance increased. Also it has this annoying clicking noise behind the hazard switch that the dealerships could not fix while it was under warranty and I took it 3 times. They kept changing the hazard switch, but the clicking continued. This car had lots of power, but with high miles (mine had 77K) it is worth $1 and starts having problems other cars would have at 100K +. Brakes were an issue.

Nice Car

lbsorensen, 05/15/2008

I bought this car 6 years ago. The kids were much smaller then. Now that they are leggy teens, the back seat is small for 3 of them. But I find that the car is a great family vehicle. nice body style, and fairly peppy.

It was a good car when I was 18!

Steph, 06/18/2009

I have had this car for 5 years now. So far I have replaced the brakes/roters every year. I had to replace the radiator in 04'. Recently it has been constantly overheating. I went in today and they told me the head was cracked and the pistons were loose! I have put more money in repairs then what I bought it for! Off to the dealership to by a different car!

B-E-A-UTIFUL!

SkaterHick, 12/24/2009

Over all an amazing car. Reliable, handles well in the snow, and over all speedy. the only draw backs would be a wavy interior on the dash.

Olds Alero is Great!

Matt Terpstra, 08/08/2002

the alero is an awesome car for the money. great looks and a blast to drive. too bad they're going away.

my car

rachel miller, 06/18/2008

This is the first Olds. Alero that I've ever owned and I love it I've had it two years and its an excellent car and its fast I've modified the motor a little and put new exhaust on it

I Love Oldsmobiles!

Jennifer Carnahan, 09/22/2008

Bought my 2000 Alero used in 2005 when it had about 86,000 miles on it. I have never had a problem with my car. It has been a great first vehicle for me. Still runs great with 130,000 miles on it.

Great car!

kr, 10/13/2008

I have owned this vehicle for almost 8 years. I bought it in 2001 and it only had about 9000 miles on it. It was previously a rental car out of the state of Washington. This car still runs almost like new! I change the oil every 3000 miles and do basic maintenance (very minimal). This car has had a security problem (fixed for about $300.00 with no other problems), and also has had the rotors replaced 2x but I guess that should be expected with 180,000 miles. This has been a GREAT car and I would highly recommend it. I am even considering buying another when this one finally quits.

loved it!

lovedmyalero, 05/07/2002

I just traded in my alero gl 4dr for an suv. But I really miss it! The car was fun to drive. I put 30,000 miles on it with just some minor problems all covered under the warranty. It can do 0 to 60 in just seconds. It's fast, racey and great looking. I feel like I'm driving a sports car. Too bad they are not made anymore. I had to trade it in because I needed a 4wd car. But otherwise, I loved it and I miss it.

Great car

Mackenzie, 05/13/2002

This car is fun to drive and performs well. I have had the car a year and a half with no major issues. Few minor issues (w/ cd player) That were all under warranty and fixed correctly by the Dealer ship the First time.

Love My Coupe!

ms.cheski, 03/03/2009

I have had this car for about 18 months now and love it! This car had nearly 77k miles on it when purchased and we're up to 106k. I have the V6 motor and it has some serious power. Gas mileage isn't spectacular, but we're not too ginger, either. Around town we get 22-24, highway we've gotten up to 27 when she's all tuned up. Its solid and does well in the snow, too. There have been a couple issues with tie rods and once our rotors were practically rusted through- but I think they were cheap parts as we have not had the problem again. There is some issue with a few sensor lights coming on even tho nothing is wrong-I just ignore it. Only trading in because I'm pregnant and we need four doors.

Great car

jon, 07/14/2009

This is a good strong car built by GM. I've driven it to the ground and have had to replace rotors, a/c and a few electrical components. It's definitely a well-built car. I've experienced some problems mentioned by other people here, such as the peeling dash, and some paint problems on the hood, but otherwise I'm satistied with the car. In town mpg is about 20 when I drive like a madman, but on the highway i get closer to 36mpg. Pretty good for a car with decent umph. Steering, throttle and breaks a lot more responsive than many japanese cars that i've drive.

Good Car

Bradley James, 07/12/2002

I have had very few problems with this car, I had a bad multifuntion switch that caused the turn signals not to work, but it was fixed under warenty. The only other complaint i have is that it is a four cyl. but it gets worse gas milage than most 6 cyl. cars, and also the 4 cyl. motor is quite noisy

Good Car

Mr. Markus, 09/24/2002

This has been a very good car overall. Especially like the traction control and ABS. On the highway this car gets over 30 miles to the gallon, with the air conditioner on. Small problems, strut broke, driver window power motor, but all were fixed with the warranty.

2000 Alero GLS Sedan

GLS Owner, 12/18/2002

Within the first 9000 mile iI realized that I can't get more than 24 miles to the gallon and my rotors were warped, although I had plenty of pad left.After 4000 more miles(twice) I turned them at my own cost. Then had to replace them all. My right side driver seat bolster pulled off so I am driving around with a metal bar against my back.The problem is WARRANTEE and SERVICE no car is perfect!

A little short on quality

rmc, 12/21/2002

The good: torquey engine, handling, braking (but see below); exterior paint/finish/styling; sound system. The bad: front brakes replaced at 28K miles-- rotors warp easily & sound creaky; interior material cheap/unrefined; poor seal on driver's side door caused sound system to short out on wet days; hazard switch went through dash (the last straw). Overall: A pretty good car with nice features that lacks refinement & compromises a little too much on quality. Was not sorry to let mine go after 56.5K miles.

Stay away from this car.

Aubreysdad, 07/23/2003

Bought used from CarMax dealer. After two months (only 29k miles on car), fuel pump has to be replaced, side mirror breaks off and replaced, dash starts peeling away and repaired, shifter nob breaks and replaced. Sure, a little less expensive than Japanese, but you'll pay more in the long run. Went back to CarMax, took $1800 hickie on appraisal, and traded in for Honda.

Don't Love It As Much As BMatheis

Jagster, 07/28/2003

Although I love my car, the doors leak during hard rain and has been in the shop over 8 times for them to try to fix with no resolution. My brakes/rotors have been worked on twice, were replaced the second time before the vehicle reached 26000 miles! I will not buy another GM vehicle, but I have to admit that I love my car... it's my first new car and I've gone through too many of the same problems in less than 3 years of ownership.

Fits Like a Glove

Alero Boy, 08/18/2003

I bought my first Alero GLS Sedan in 2000. I loved this car since I first saw it in 98 at the Auto Show. It's a good mix sportiness and class. The brake rotors are worthless. I went through 4 sets, all during the warranty. The intake manifold gasket needed to be replaced at 50k, which was after warranty period. I sold 4 of my friends on Alero & they also had the same problems and nothing more. I traded in for an 03 GLS Coupe this passed February to take advantage of the $5000 in rebates I qualified for. Too bad GM is dropping Olds; it's the only division that actually has what it takes to compete with the imports.

bob's review

lotus halldorson, 09/06/2003

This is a fun car to drive with plenty of power a sporty feel.

Do your research before purchasing

Craftina, 08/20/2003

We bought this car when it was already a year old with about 36K miles on it. About 2 months after we got it, the radio has this problem where it won't stay programmed. We have to turn it on every single time we turn the car on. The dealership didn't know why it was doing that, so it never got fixed. It just left my familystranded on the high way after the fule pump went out in the middle of Alabama (we lived in NC. That among various other repairs needed that I don't have room for. Just do your research.

Alero

Konrad Romero, 09/17/2003

I have owned the car for almost 3 years and I have to commute 100 miles a day. The car has been great. I do all of my service to the vehicle. The performance and reliability is all there. I have to count on this car daily. I have not had any major mechanical flaws. The only problem was the passenger’s window regulator went out on the vehicle about 60,000 miles. Currently I have 87,000 miles on the car. I highly recommend changing the fuel filter frequently about every 20,000 miles. The car is close to being stock; I have a K&N air filter and Bosch 4 prong platinum plugs which made a difference in performance and fuel economy. I am very pleased with this car.

Several problems ruin a nice car

c34j46, 09/19/2003

The rotors made by GM are junk and should have been recalled but GM refused to recall the part. My new brand new rotors and pads were pulsating after only 3500 miles. My turn signals would not work at least once a week and then magically start to work again so the switch needs to be replaced. Rear stabilzer bars had to be replaced to stop the annoying squeak the car would make after even the smallest bumps in the road. I'm looking to buy some aftermarket rotors which hopefully will last more than 3500 miles. I think the brakes on my ten speed bicycle would have stopped the car more efficiently than the junk GM puts on the car.

No More Olds

FootballMom, 10/06/2003

The worst car I have ever owned. The brakes are a continual problem. The gear shift button has been replaced. The cruise control is broken. The rear door upholstery is peeling up. And last but not least, the dash board is peeling. The Olds dealer says it was caused by the sun and will cost $1200 to repair and my car is only worth $3500. GM Customer service says since my car has 90,000+ miles on it, they will not do anything about it. I told them my 94 Toyota Camry and my 97 Jeep Cherokee had no such problems and I will never purchase another GM product.

Its been good to me!

chridan, 11/08/2003

This car has been great! Have had it almost 4 years and haven't had any problems with it.

A Powerful Pleasant Suprise!

us_blueskirt, 11/09/2003

This car was purchased 3yrs old with about 40K mi...In 11 mos I've put another 20k+...Multiple trips from E TN to FL, VA, TX, GA, and DC; plus a 40mi comute to work every day. This is a fantastic little car in city and OTR! It feels like driving a sporty car. It responds better if you keep an almost religious maintenance schedule. Great handling and power getting on and off the interstate and around these mountain curves. I run this car very hard and I'm very pleased with it so far. As I set out for another trip to TX..there is not a single doubt that this little car will get me there and back with pleasure!

Fun, Looks great & only small problems

ibjeepr, 11/30/2003

I bought the car used with 33000 miles on an impulse when I was actually looking for a used suburban. I haven't regreted it. It is one of the nicest looking cars out there,is fun to drive and has had only a couple insignifigant problems. I drive 400 miles every other weekend and enjoy it. I drive hard (just ask my poor passangers)and haven't seen the rapid brake wear even the mechanic told me to expect.

Put the brakes on...

Andrea Nel, 06/14/2005

Fun car to drive, stylish, roomy in the front, and love the air flowing to the back seat and removable ash tray that turns into a cup holder. This car was so close to my dream car until the mechanical problems started. Replaced brake rotors twice, water pump, and now am experiencing problems with the fan and the annoying blinker switch noise (anyone who has one knows what I'm talking about), problems with starting the car due to a electrical problem all before 75,000. My extended warranty ends at 85,000, and I'm sure I'll make use of it. Not the most mechanically dependable car I ever owned. Very nickle and dime on the mechanics...

Brakes are the only real problem

linenoise, 12/12/2003

Bought new in 1999 (it's a 2000 Coupe with 2.4l) Other than the usual problems with Alero's (Brake Rotor/Hazard switch) this has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I have 53K on it and the brake rotors are my only service items (twice but due for a 3rd), if considering drive the 2.4l and the 3.4 and you'll find that the 2.l4 seems smoother and quite fun.

My Expensive Mistake

sam2000, 12/23/2003

I liked the features and styling when I bought this car, but the build quality has turned out to be very disappointing. The rear rotors are scored deeply with plenty of pad remaining. Had to have all the windows replaced due to the glass getting scratched every time the windows were lowered and raised. Cruise control switch went bad. Power window switches went bad.... three times. Many minor electrical problems. Dash board also had to be replaced. No problems with the power train so far (45k mi.), but I don't trust the car anymore after so many problems; and with the awful resale value, I can't afford to get rid of it.

Nice Vehicle Thus Far

Margaret, 09/14/2005

I purchased my used 2000 Alero GLS in July 2005. I have all of the service records and the only problem I have, thus far, is the peeling of the door handles. There was only one previous owner and the car is under an extended warranty. When I initially purchased it, there were approximately 43,000 miles on it. Not bad for a 2000 car of any sort. I paid cash for it and it is definitely a nice ride for the money (I could never afford a brand new one). I was also a previous Honda owner (Value Package sedan). I like my choice. It has a lot more features than the Honda or any other car I have owned. I am going to stick it out! I think GM should definitely stay keep the Alero.

Sporty Ride

RKP, 01/17/2004

This is a great ride, sporty and great acceleration for a 170 HP engine. I like it's cornering ability no push in the tight corners. Layout is good, night lighting excellent. The ride is solid Excellent handling capability. I am very satisfied mechanically but am looking for a softer and more plush ride.

Do not buy this car!

Caseyc, 03/03/2004

This car is mediocre at best. I have had numberous problems with this car. In the 3 years I have owned this car, I have replaced the brakes 5 times, the cruise quit working, the middle overhead light pops out and falls out on occasion, the upholstry on the dash has begun to pull up, both of the electric front windows have broke twice, the right front sun visor clip broke and my blinkers quit working. I definitely would not recommend purchasing this vehicle.

51050