Used 2000 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Alero for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Poor quality

joe joe, 03/05/2004

Very disappointed in the quality. Nothing like buying a car and watching depreciation fall through the floor after 2 years, (paid 11k, trade in offer of 2.5k, 50k total milage) OUCH!. All sorts of irratating problems like electrical, workmanship. No major problems for the first 50k but didnt wait around for that to happen. Dumped for a loss, didnt trust it over the long haul. Very disappointed with GM on this and went with a Honda.

pass on it

jim williams, 04/13/2004

Numerous problems with wheel bearings, brakes, wheel sensors, and turn signal switches. In the shop every week. True story-went to trade it at a local GM dealer. He said, "no offense but I cant take it on trade, those things are junk."

LEMON CAR

bethany, 05/04/2004

3.4L v6. 03/00 75633mls, leather interior, 11,000 from a dealership the biggest mistake i made. Nice looking car, but the quality sucks! Lets see the cruise control doesn't work, half the time my blinker lights go out, upholstry on the dashboard is peeling, something wrong with the gas gauge, passenger side window dropped down, the cd player goes out sometimes, coolant leaks, passenger side door is hard to open, twice the engine had to be fixed, sometimes the engine does't turn over, no matter how much or how many time you refill the coolant the coolant light doesn't go off. i think because of the coolant problem the engine makes noises.

Trouble free vehicle

jqxwl, 06/09/2004

I purchased this vehicle on 6/18/2000. Besides regular services, I have never brought it to car garage! And it is still in great shape! Very stable and reliable!

satisfied owner

bthompso_99, 06/26/2004

Bought used two years old with 25,000 miles. Several problems while it was still under warranty. CD player was replaced, driver side window motor replaced, blower electrical controls replaced, cruise went out, rotor problem. No major problems since warranty expired. Other than these mostly electrical problems the car has been fun to drive and for the most part a reliable vehicle that met our needs. Traded it off for a larger vehicle with growing family. If not for the need of a larger vehicle we would have kept it for a few more years.

great car for my family

alleng, 07/04/2004

I have really enjoyed this car. Has performed well for what I needed. If you are a traveler, probably not the best option, but does well for teenagers and small families. I've had one brake problem. No other major issues. Gas milleage is great!

So near and yet so far

rdeschene, 07/10/2004

My wife and I both love this car - torquey V6, good handling and steering, about 30mpg(US) hwy, very comfortable front seats, good visibility, nice styling with the rear spoiler, decent price as a 1yr old car. What has been disappointing are the mechanical failures which I KNOW GM knows how to prevent -- I didn't have any of these problems with my previous Corsica. At 107,000km we have replaced both front bearings, the fuel tank sender, the interior fan resistor and the button on the auto shifter TWICE. I am quite certain GM knows how to make front bearings that don't wearout in 100,000km. There's no excuse for it and it makes me hesitant to buy GM next time.

Great College Car

luminesa, 07/14/2004

My parents and I bought this car for my use during college. It gets wonderful fuel mileage, which is great for all of the driving I do. The space available to load my luggage in is also wonderful. The body of the car is very stylish--great for a young student.

Decent value.

alerodriver, 08/11/2004

Bought in 2000... no problems after they recalled the brakes in 02 (they had to replace pads twice). Trunk a little small but no other problems. Great commuter. I replaced the fuel filter at 60k and oil changes is all. I added an aftermarked spoiler (the same one that is on the 6 cyl) to my base model for 300$, improves the looks greatly. Would buy again in the same situation.

Oregon Alero

out of the country, 08/20/2004

I now live outside the country and unfortunately have to sell my car. The V-6 is very powerful but also nimble. I am 6'4" and it is not crouded, I still have confortable head room. Gas effeciency is very good at close to 30 GPM on the highway. When I bought it I compared it to the Japanese/ German 2 dr. V6 Coupes. Nothing could come close enought in price (with comparative features) to warrent a 2nd test drive

Very disappointed in my alero

mad alero owner, 10/28/2004

I was so excited when I bought my very first car, my Alero. One month later, i had to replace the security feature, 6 monthes later, my dash started to wilt from the sun (even with a window cover). Now, almost 1 1/2 years after my purchase, I have to have a cover for my dash because it looks so bad AND I have to air up my tires at least 2x a week because they keep losing air. Had it checked out and checked out again, they keep saying nothings wrong. Not even halfway in to my payments and I'm looking for a new vehicle. I know one thing, it will not be an Alero.

I love my car, but.......

tbone420, 11/06/2004

Very fun to drive and gets good mileage, but have had annoying probs. Window on driver side fell in door, rotors and brakes go once a year, power lock thing on driver door fell in, I could go on but I'll spare ya. Overall, it is a good vehicle. Cheaply made, but good in the snow and good on the gas.

I agree

chairmanfat, 11/14/2004

All the same problems: brake rotors that are worthless, a recall on the turn signal problem, and a rapid depreciation but I like the car. Weird. When I think of the crap I could have bought for same money ( I went in with a budget and stuck to it) I really like the car. I won't buy from GM again though. The last American car I owned was in 1984. There just isn't any excuse for the problems they have with this car. They must do it on purpose, seriously. They can't be this stupid.

Former Toyota Owner

S. Racer, 12/24/2004

My first car ever was a '72 Nova SS. The mechanic saw this car more than I did. This experience made me vow to never own an American car. I've owned 4 Toyotas, including an MR2 (best car I've ever had). When the Alero came out, I had to go back on my vow. I currently am driving a slick looking black V-6 coupe. Only major problem I've had was a power steering leak. Besides this, my Alero's quality build has been much better than what I expected. The power under the hood is scary (I'm thinking about getting a radar detector). Seating is good in the front AND the back. The styling is terrific! Beware: This car drinks gas like crazy. Besides this, it's a very fun & cool car to drive.

Worst Car I Have Ever Owned!

nick, 03/13/2005

This looked like a really nice car. The first year changed that! Constant brake problems, transmisson problems, and broken interior switches. After about 4 years and 80,000 miles all sorts of things went wrong! I replaced alternator, starter, fuel pump, wheel bearings, and the ignition system( because a cheaply made plastic cover cracked and fried the whole system!) Olsmobile would look for any reason not to honor the warranty and were constantly difficult to deal with! I can see why they went out of business. It is too bad, I paid a lot of money for a very poorly made car and I will never buy American again! It is really too bad!

CAUTION!

CAUTION!!!!, 03/19/2005

Bought my Alero because I had rented one once and fell in love with its performance and ride. It is really fast for a coupe. If you are considering buying one from a dealer you better get the extended warranty! I have replaced the rotors on the front (big problem with Aleros). The lower intake gasket leaked so that screwed up the antifreeze. The resistor that controls the blower motor burned out. There is a rattling noise in front suspension that I can't seem to find. Fortunately I got the extended warranty! I'd be out a few thousand if I hadn't. Depreciation is ridiculous! Paid $11,000 for it in 2002 and its now worth $6,000 retail/$4,000 trade. I owe $8000.

Good Solid Vehicle

My Review, 07/19/2005

I bought my '00 Alero brand new. I was going to purchase a Grand Am, but once I drove the Alero, I knew it was the right choice. I have the GLS V6 2- door. I don't know if this is different than some of the bad reviews I've read on this site or not, but my Alero has been great. I have 140K miles on it, and my mechanic says that it is still running strong. I feel it is a solid car.

Wish I hadn't

Unhappy, 10/14/2005

I bought an Oldsmobile Alero because of it's easy handling. I wish I hadn't. Luckily some of the problems have been covered under the warranty, but now that's up and I might as well have a car payment with the money I spend on the thing. I've replaced the rotors, brakes, cruise control and much more. The interior is falling apart with the upolstery sundamaging very very easily. I wouldn't recommend this car to anyone at all.

I LOVE THIS CAR

bmatheis, 03/19/2003

Bought this car new and it has 70,000K on it now, the only things i have had to do on it is regular maintance and i am not babying it!

Like the car, but not the problems

Lynette, 03/21/2003

I liked how it looked(sort of like a Mustang).The first year I had my gear shift break. I did have problems with my turn signal. It wouldn't work, unless I hit the hazzard lights and then turn the hazzard lights off quickly. ROTOR problems...it eats them up! I found out that it is actually a design problem that I think GM should have a recall on. The tires are not rotating straight, but at an angle, like a shimmy....they need to shim the rotors to fix the problem...but of course you'll have to pay for it! The tires will cost you about $500. It's hard to tell when the AC light is on in the day time. The dash is peeling on the driver's side.

3 Year Update from 11/09/03 Post

us_blueskirt, 10/02/2006

The milage and performance has dramatically decreased over the last year! The only real issue outside of that was a problem with the flasher system, which was fixed by a factory recall on the assembly. I can't really complain about the performance...It's got just over 165,000 miles on it. The performance didn't waiver until it hit around 120,000 miles, but it's been downhill since then. I keep up with all 'scheduled' maintenance and it seems to work for this car. It is very reliable...I still take long trips on a regular basis!

Do Not Buy This Car

hatethiscar, 11/17/2006

I bought my Alero in 2002. The drivetrain has been fairly reliable except for some suspension problems. The real problem for me has been with the interior bits. Among other things, I've run into: 1. Two speakers inexplicably stopped working. The worked just fined once I replaced them (with original wiring even). 2. The A/C controls are messed up. The fan will only work on the two highest settings. 3. It has a peeling dash. 4. I have four (count 'em!) non-working power windows. I've had both front windows repaired multiple times, but they never seem to work longer than 6-8 months before failing again. This is, far and away, the most annoying problem I've had with the car.

More Than the Camry

Art, 11/29/2006

I have had my Alero for five years with no problems. I prefer the handling and safety features over my sister-in-law's newer Camry. The only small problem has been brake rotor warping, which is common on all cars with ABS brakes in our hilly area. It is also a wonderful towed vehicle, behind the motor home. The automatic lights are great.

Still Lovin' it...

ang, 01/03/2007

So, I bought this car for it's looks. I'm still loving it. I had to replace its brakes and rotors, my husband says I ride the brakes though. Also, I had to get a new water pump in 2004. To get to the point...I have three young kids and am a full time student, this car keeps up with all of us and has never left us on the side of the road! We do live in a hilly area and sometimes find that the tranny slips going up steep hills. I too love the automatic lights and convenient map lights. Oh, when I got this car it was missing the hazard lights? I'm not sure what that was all about.

Reliable and Stylish

lisa, 02/06/2007

I never had a problem with either one of my Aleros. I owned a '99 and then a 2000! Oldsmobile finally came out with a beautiful, fun car that blew Pontiac and Buick out of the water.

What happened to quality?

ScottCAL, 03/06/2002

I leased this vehicle prior to Oldsmobile being phased out by GM. Now two years into the lease I can see why. Over the past 2 years I have had my rotors replaced twice, struts replaced, electrical problems and numerous body/integrity issues. This is not a low end nor cheap vehicle but the problems have been way too numerous and bothersum. Next time I'll looking to Toyota, Honda or even Subaru - I'll try my luck with them...

I think my alero is a great car

halpain, 04/10/2003

I have had my alero for years now it was mine to begin with now its my sisters and she is enjoying it as much as i did it runs great....we go out of town alot and i know my alero isnt going to leave me stranded i love it and i recommend it to anyone

Good Car

Susi, 03/05/2007

This has been a dependable automobile. I have had very little trouble with my Alero. It's fun to drive.

best car I've owed in thirty years

RADKOR , 04/15/2003

Bought this car as a storm damaged r- titled car, tree fell accross the hood. Been driving for almost 2yrs. only thing replaced was a fuel regulator. Gets 34mpg hwy/ 24city. Keeps up w/ the best from Germany. Still has the original BFG's with 55k miles. With traction contol I was never stranded in our Pittsburgh snow,(66"). Gobbs of room, should have seen me, my wife and 2kids coming back from the grandparents in NC @ Christmas.

solid

vinmore, 04/28/2003

very easy to drive. zero problems.

It's not a Honda

A-guy, 05/06/2003

Purchased this car new and have had my share of ups and downs. Fortunately, the car had been under warranty. for my share of problems: Warpped rotors, leak in windshield, buckled material on the dashboard, leak in pass/rear door seal, rt ft shock mount. * never stranded. Now I am worried about what is to become of this car for the next few years. Not to mention the value. The rapid depreciation is main reason why I still own this car, the other reason is that, aside from all of the problems, I really love the car. There is something about it that allows me to look past the problems. Hopefully I will not have any major issues to change my mind.

maybe mine's a lemon?

texweber, 02/26/2003

I'd had my eye on Alero's for quite awhile, and was very impressed with how affordable they were and the features that were included. I have a 2000 model with about 65K on it, and unfortunately have spent too much money on all kinds of maintenance problems. Less than a year into the buy I had to have the rotors and tires replaced, and a year after that I'm in a world of hurt with a new thermostat and potentially a gasket leak. It's fun to drive, and I've been more than happy with it up til recently, but don't have a lot of faith in it anymore. Maybe it's just the V6, but I can't keep gas in the thing either.

2000 Alero GLS

JP in MO, 05/21/2003

Much to my surprise, this Alero has great acceleration and passing speed. The ride is smooth and relatively quiet, except for a few interior design flaws within the speaker panels in the doors. Overall, I am very pleased and still find myself excited to drive it either around town or on a long trip.

Great Car

bquintan2000, 05/19/2003

I have owned the Alero GLS for the past 3 years and have been very pleased with the car. Like everyone else, my rotors went bad and had to be turned. However, that did not occur until 43,000 miles. The car handles great at high and slow speeds. Great interior, but will recommend having leather as oppose to the cheap cloth seats. I have never had to take my Alero to the shop since I purchased it 3 years ago. My Alero was supped up by the dealer and everybody mistakes it for a Mustang. Depreciation is poor. Did not retain its value, very disappointed!

Too many flaws!!!

grimbaldi, 07/07/2003

I purchased my Alero GL equipped with the 2.4L engine 2DR with approx. 19,000 miles on it as a program vehicle. Within the 1st 6 months of owning this vehicle I had to have the following items fixed/replaced: Replaced Struts Reseal rear windshield Re-mount trunk Deck lid Driver's side window fell into door (broken power window mech.) Had to replace Rotors @ 38,000 miles Aside from these problems the car has not been too bad thus far. Engine & road noise is a considerable detriment to this car. Also the deflation of the car's value has been extremely disappointing!!! This car becomes practically worthless not long after owning it.

Watch out for 80000, its a doozy!!

Robyn, 03/19/2008

I love the way my car looks and handles (it's the 3.4L v6 coupe) I do not like the way the intake manifold gasket fails, the dash peels or the control arm bushings squeak. Nice power (can beat the boys at a light, is quick off the line)and huge sunroof, but can prove costly when repairs are needed.

Alero GLS

CAR CRITIC, 03/27/2002

I HAVE A 2000 ALERO GLS THAT HAS V6. EXCELLENT POWER WITH EXCEPTIONAL GAS MILEAGE (30 MPG HIGHWAY). THE BAD PART IS TORQUE STEER. THE CAR DOES NOT STEER WELL UNDER FULL THROTTLE. MY GLS MODEL HAS THE INTERIOR OF A MUCH MORE EXPENISVE CAR. MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT IS WITH BRAKES. THE NEW PADS EAT ROTORS LIKE CRAZY. THE CAR HAS TONS OF LIGHTS ON THE DASH TO TELL EVERY LITTLE PROBLEM IT HAS WHICH COME ON TOO FREQUENTLY. THE DECK LID ALSO LEAKS INTO THE TRUNK WHEN IT IS OPENED AFTER A GOOD RAIN. THE CAR IS VERY FLASHY FOR ITS PRICE RANGE, AND HAS GREAT POWER WITH THE V6, BUT THE CAR COULD USE SOME REFINEMENT ESPECIALLY THE BRAKES.

Keeper

Ed P., 03/21/2018
GLS 4dr Sedan

Good car. Had a couple small fixes by the dealer (fan switch, hazard button), crankshaft position indicator by independent shop, nothing major. Might be not the best for long trips, front seat a little firm. Easy on tires and brakes.

Love this car

Camshaft, 03/27/2019
GLS 4dr Sedan

I got mine 2000 alert with 140000 and it's still running like a dream I change a water pump my self had to jack up the motor and take the motor mount out to do the belt but I live it for the 1000$ cant beat it

Great car for a teenager!

Nathan Leutzinger , 10/04/2019
GLS 4dr Sedan

If your looking for a car that runs till 300-400k miles without a engine or transmission going this is the car. Have had to fix a couple things but nothing expensive, small miner things. Break pads, ignition starter, alternator, etc but nothing expensive. Old car. Price for parts are cheap. I had a relative that had this car and it ran till 400k then the engine went. Great car for a teenager that just needs a car to get to point A to B. Engine is great get the 3.4L 6cy, great engine any mechanic will tell you that. The 2.4L 4cy however is JUNK! My 6cy alero has 165k on it and I still love it. Nothing big went out. Great car. Don’t listen to these other people! If you take good care of the car it will last you forever.

51050