Used 2011 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

X gon' give it to yuh
By Matty

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I were looking for a 5 seater 4x4 truck with good reliability for a great price. The xterra is easily the best value in that sector. After 2010 the SMOD issue and timing chain issue was fixed and the xterras are very reliable as a result. We love the unique styling, utilitarian interior (it's nothing fancy at all) and decent power. The 280ft-lb of torque are available within the first 1/4" of gas pedal movement making this thing feel very peppy. I wish the interior was a little nicer and I hope the car can hold up to the salt roads here in Mass but for the price it can't be beat. We're getting 19MPG consistently which is good enough for me.

So nice, I bought this model twice
By Lori Clark

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great rugged SUV. Very reliable, excellent powertrain, roomy, and tough.

Well worth the money
By Todd Van

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first Xterra and love it. This is a solid, safe SUV. The 2011 is very comfy, but there is something I wish it had, carpeted cargo area (otherwise EVERYTHING slides around) I bought it with power seats, multi-CD changer, Sirius radio, and leather, the Rockford Fosgate stereo is great, and I added a ipod plug to complete it. The plastic console collects every piece of dust because it has a softer material. I my X to the mountains and give it a serious workout and it performs great. I have locking differentals, roof rack, and heavy duty bumpers and they all work great. I've towed my 4K toyhauler around, but wouldn't recommend doing this in the mountains. The mileage is 10 to 14 in town and 15 to 17 on the hwy, not bad for 4 wheel drive. These are real numbers by dividing gallons into mileage. The few things I've done to my truck is add, HD bumper front and rear, air bags in rear, Ipod plug, led light bar on bumper and winch. I have used everything quite a bit too. If you want a SUV that does it all this is the one.

It's not your soccer mom's SUV.
By Samantha Edwards

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Got the Pro-4X with leather package. Has Sirius/XM, Fosgate stereo with iPod and AUX and the Utilitrack in the cargo area for tying stuff down to keep it from sliding.
I didn't want a SUV look-alike that seemed tough on pavement but caved under the pressure of an off-road situation. The first weekend I had my X, we took it off-roading in Big South Fork and at one point got it almost completely on it's side.. but after flipping a few switches, she pulled out like a champ and was none the worse for wear.
Not sure why people are knocking the tires. The BFG Rugged Trails have worked fine for me. Just put on my second set at 53k miles.
Add a Weathertech cargo mat and it's great for dogs!

Leather is easy to keep clean with dogs and mud. Comfortable ride. Stereo sounds great and has all needed options. Bluetooth and stereo controls on steering wheel. It's a TRUE off-road capable SUV, not a soccer-mom mobile.

Gas mileage could be better. I get about 17.5MPG on my daily commute, but I climb a steep mountain road each day so it's hard on anything. At least I know the X has the power to get me over that mountain and doesn't run in fear when the snow falls.

2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x review
By nissanboy1

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my Xterra strictly for it's offroad capabilities and here is my opinion after 36k miles: I bought a manual tranny model cause I was unsure if Nissan fixed the automatic tranny problem. First gear on the 6 speed is pretty good ratio wise for crawling around technical rocky terrain, I live in NV where that is most of the terrain. The stock tires were terrible offroad and should not be used in hard wheeling conditions. My Xterra would climb like a billy goat, but performed terribly in snow and mud as it wouldn't allow wheel spin to get through such. I blew up the front axle when I pulled the fuse to allow me to actually get the front wheels spinning in snow. Towing is sketchy!!!

The rest of the vehicle's functions performed above average I would say. The Rockford Fosgate sound system was excellent for a stock radio from a manufacturer. My fuel economy never saw above 17 mpg and that includes cruising down the highway 400 miles at a time in 6th gear. The paint was good on this vehicle, much better than my current Toyota, as I drove through bushes that would scrape the Xterra but buff right out come detail time. Overall I liked my Xterra, not perfect, pretty good offroad, enough room for camping stuff and awkward items since seats folded down.