Used 2013 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews - 86 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Too Many Personalities & Quality Issues
By Chris

2013 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We loved the features, style and comfort of this car. This was our third Nissan. Unfortunately, it will likely be our last due to numerous quality issues. The first issue we had was with the transmission. Nissan voluntarily recalled the transmission and replaced ours even though we were not experiencing issues. At that time they also fixed a recall with the airbag system. They did a firmware download on the car which started numerous "personalities" with the nice features we always loved. Now the seats do not automatically retract when the car is turned off. Also, the remote start feature only works about 50% of the time. Some Internet searches show these are common issues with the "control modules" of the car. Most recently we started having terrible issues from our engine which were diagnosed as being bad cooling radiator/condenser fans. While our care is within the power train warranty, these are not covered. The repair will cost $1,100. Additionally, they have over 4,000 of these units on back order, so the expensive part will not be available for about 2 months. We have been warned that continuing to drive the vehicle could cause severe damage of the radiator and condenser if the bearings in this fan further degrade. So, we've been presented an "option" of not driving this car for 2 months until we can do an expensive repair not covered by warranty (which is a known mass problem). Also, we have encountered an issue of our sun visors breaking and not retracting back to the ceiling. This is also very common based on Internet research. Fortunately I found a YouTube video showing how to repair them to avoid paying $100 each to repair them. These are not the types of issues I have ever experienced with a gently used care with only 54,000 miles. The combination of all these issues shows me that Nissan's quality has suffered. We will now sell our Nissan and find a new brand to love. It is unfortunate. Nissan has great concepts and features. They just do not offer the quality of construction to allow the owner to enjoy owning this car for an extended period of time.

Beware! Do not purchase Nissan
By Adina Amaya

2013 Nissan Pathfinder SL 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

As someone who has purchased and owned several different cars (Honda and Toyota for the most), and with the experience now with our first Nissan, a pathfinder, I would highly suggest people stay away from Nissan vehicles. First of all, I have spend some much money on repairs with this vehicle and precious time in and out of the shop. At less than 10,000 miles, it started having transmission problems. The car was in and out of the shop, with us having to pay out of pocket multiple times and countless hours spent with consumer affairs and the dealer before the CVT was finally recalled and the problem was fixed. Before then, no one would accept the problem eventhough it was well documented by the dealers that this was happening time and time again. The frustrating part is no one will be accountable; instead it is denied and there is no support for customers until lawsuits are filed. Now, only a year after the transmission issue was finally resolved, a shifter problem. The truck will not shift out of park at times. At first, it happened randomly but now it’s all the time. The dealer shop personnel cannot say how this is damaged but agree (“off the record”) that this is a manufacturing problem and that they are seeing this with many of the vehicles. However, because an official recall has not been filed for this year Nissan, there is nothing they can do. We had to pay $1,000 out of pocket to have this fixed. No support from the dealer or from Nissan customer affairs. They will not accept responsibility. These are only two of the biggest problems. There is no regard for customers, for doing the right thing or for customer support. Do not buy Nissan. It’ll be a big mistake.

Throw the trainy off a cliff!!!
By ST

2013 Nissan Pathfinder SL 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Today is April 25,2017. Bought my pathfinder January 2014. Took it in for the recent recalls (brake relay switch, cvt update, and airbag) well good thing they did the brake relay because it was fun driving and having people back way off because my brake lights were stuck on, and parked ignition off and the brake lights were still on. That's the small issue. My happy little vehicle is still in the shop getting it's now THIRD TRANSMISSION!!! Yes you read that correctly. My pathfinder was one of the ones with the faulty trainy. Took forever for Nissan to admit there was an issue, but once they did the trainy was replaced immediately with a refurb. Then the refund failed. Oh and now it failed again. 75k on the odometer however the trainy getting replaced right now has under 20k on it. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER NISSAN

Car show pick 2013
By Car show

2013 Nissan Pathfinder SL 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Very happy with my SUV for hauling grandkids and friends. Love power lift gate, 2nd row heated seats. We got with tow package. Over all my hubby and I have both enjoyed our pick. Cons: road noise as it has got older, reverse camera not the best, and transition has to be computer reset at Dealer.

Life lesson
By Lori

2013 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

1 st problem since day 1. Noise in rear end when turning especially on hills. They found nothing wrong 2. Paint peeled off the front bumper. Dealer repaired it twice. I called dealer owner they finally replaced the bumper. 3. Factory tires and brakes only lasted 12 000 miles. 4. Then the front end started making sounds. After 2 trips to dealer the finally found the transfer case was bad. I was 6,000 miles over my warranty. Nissan corporate agreeed to pay for it. $4300.5. Lots of recalls. 5. Finally, the noise in the rear end got worse went to dealer yesterday and its the rear end control assembly. I am 8,000 over warranty. Im not paying for it. Called nissan corporate and see if they will take care of it. We are a nissan family. I have never had trouble with a nissan. I owned a sentra, pathfinder, murano, this pathfinder, altima and judt bought 2012 murano for our vacation home. This will decide if i continue to be a nissan family. LIFE LESSON. NEVER BUY THE 1ST YEAR OF THE MODEL OF A CAR.