Used 2005 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews - 369 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

10 year review!
By Mike C.

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was my third Pathfinder. I owned it for 10 years and sold it with 165,000 miles on it. It has been extremely reliable and rock solid. I sold it because it had high miles, and I needed something newer to travel with. This year Pathfinder did have problems with the radiator leaking into the transmission and destroying it. Chances are if you buy one now, either it was already changed under warranty, or not affected. I had the radiator changed under warranty but no transmission issues. It is based on the truck platform so the ride is not as smooth as the car based SUV'S, but it has more room, and can handle carrying heavier items. I owned the LE with full leather, navigation, rear entertainment, etc..Everything still worked perfectly when I sold the car. Great workhorse, in style. The only issue is the heat. When the car is idling normally, it doesn't heat up the car. Almost like it doesn't push enough antifreeze through the heater core unless the engine is running over 2000 rpm. The seriously sucks when you're trying to warm the car because it just doesn't at idle. Once your driving the heat works fine.

I love this truck. Its perfect for me
By kbstone@gmail.com

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

There are a few quality issues but overall a great truck all around. Tows well, can hold a lot of folks. I am a mechanically inclined person so did the transmission cooler bypass and timing chain repairs myself. I put a small 2 inch lift and its a beast. I bought it with 100K miles and have put another 40K on it with no problems other than little stuff - I replaced the fuel pump to fix the known gas gauge problem and you have to take the car mostly apart to put a set of spark plugs in but that's most cars these days. The truck is comfortable, reliable and has a massive amount of utility. With the right tires and a small lift, theres almost nowhere it cant go and that's a big deal as we spend a lot of time of very remote places. I originally got an xterra and after 200K plus miles decided that Nissans were for me. If you take good care of this car, you will have it a long time.

Don't buy if you like problems
By Hunter

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car used with 118,000 miles on it a week after purchase the transmission went out a week or so after that the fuel injectors went out. Then a month after purchase the fuel pump went out. We are now around 145,000 miles and thank god have been issue free for a year. Due to the previous issues we are scared to take anywhere longer than 4 hours away. If you live in a snowy state and have the 4x2 RWD then prepare for the worst winter of your life. You will slide if there's a little bit of slush or ice, if your down hill and stopped then make sure you have plenty of car length in front of you, because your car will slide at a complete stop. Not to mention braking on a little bit of snow or slush will cause you to slide as well. If you have two kids in car seats you can forget about getting anyone in the third row. Plus one adult is lucky to get to the third row and if you can it's not comfortable. She is a nice car on the outside but design and reliability gives this SUV 2 stars

REPLACE THE FRONT AND REAR STRUTS, SPRINGS, SHOCKS
By Robert G

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Hi, my Pathfinder has 116,000 miles and I am the type that will not replace anything until it absolutely need to be replaced minus 10%, this week I replaced the front struts/springs (Monroe had a $75.00 rebate on all 4) front strut/spring sets complete so no labor or additional parts needed, best way to go and save $$ plus the rear shocks, then with the $75.00 rebate I bought the rear moog springs for $63.00 plus $8,00 shipping and my mechanic charged $92.00 and a alignment and now the car rides like a dream, so beautiful that I should have done this at 70,000 miles, best investment I ever made in the Pathfinder, I highly recommend this, total cost $582, best ride, might even be better than brand new as the moog springs have 2 more coils but are the same height giving the body less sway and I love the way it now takes the highway at 65 mph, absolutely a real treat,

Coolant fluid leaking into transmission!
By Faith Q

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It would have been really nice to have gotten a heads up on a defective part in the radiator that will eventually kill your transmission and your radiator. We bought our Pathfinder brand new in 2005. We have never had it serviced anywhere other than the dealership. My theory was that it would be better to have our Nissan maintained at the dealership so we wouldn't have any issues with things coming up that other mechanics may not know about, well that backfired! We never received a letter that some have stated that they received telling them about the potential destruction of their vehicles transmission and radiator do to the defective part. My Pathfinder is now sitting in our driveway while we try to figure out what to do..... This is frustrating to say the least. We have always maintained this vehicle per the dealership and the only thing we were told was it wasn't a problem or it would have been recalled!!!