Used 2006 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews - 166 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

BUYER BEWARE
By Brian

2006 Nissan Frontier SE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased truck used and have had nothing but problems, replaced oil gauge sending unit (common problem) air pressure light needs to be reset (with paper clip, lol) on a regular basis. And now the transmission went out (common problem) this will cost over $6000 (most big rigs have cheaper transmissions), upon further investigation it looks like there is a common issue with timing chain guides. Nissan will not stand behind any of these issues. Note: I purchased this truck from an older gentleman that garaged it and performed regular maintenance.

Rock solid truck
By Larry B.

2006 Nissan Frontier LE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck new and currently has 177,000 miles on it. It has been trouble free for the most part, except for two common problems - fuel level sending switch went out at 107,000 miles ($350 to replace at local shop) , and radiator developed internal leak at 130,000 miles ($800 to replace at local shop). Luckily, I detected the radiator leak early-on, before it ruined the transmission. I had the transmission fluid and filter replaced when new radiator installed and 47,000 miles later, no problems. Other significant maintenance I've had done include replacing lower ball joints at about 150,000 miles, one u-joint on front drive shaft at 155,000 (4WD), and one front wheel bearing at 167,000 miles. That's about it for things that have worn out. At 67,000 miles, I put new Michelin LTX tires on truck (still have 4/32's tread left) and at 130,000 miles, I went ahead and installed a new set of Bilstein 4600 shocks, even though original ones seemed to be ok. The Michelins and Bilsteins really improved how the truck handled and how it rode on the highway - amazing difference. I'm very happy with my truck - it is rock solid in the way it rides and handles, it is a comfortable highway cruiser, it is very easy to get in and out of (I'm 6' tall and don't bump my head getting into it like I do on my friend's Tacoma), it's been reasonably reliable , and at 65 MPH, I get about 23 MPG.

Don't buy a Nissan
By Devin Withrow

2006 Nissan Frontier SE 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

when it gets to a 100,000 miles be prepared to spend thousands on repairs,was a descent truck and then things just stopped working,power windows stopped working,ac unit had to be replaced,gas gauge stopped working.....now it is mysteriously losing oil ,had valve gaskets replaced did not fix the problem

Gas or no gas???......that is the recall !!
By Lowell Crabtree

2006 Nissan Frontier SE 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Well, I bought a 2006 with 66,500 miles. Test drive started out great but after about 10 miles the gas gauge appeared to be empty an the check engine light came on. I quickly pulled into a gas station and put in $10$. To my surprise the gas gauge indicator showed 3/4 full. On returning the truck the owner he mentioned he had that issue for approximately 3 years. Had heard there might be a recall. Well The next day verified the error code was diagnosed. Found the recall on the internet an contacted local Nissan dealer. Well talk about a run around.....I was informed my truck did not have this recall even though the recall outlined was exactly the problem. I had the recall fixed ($500 out of pocket).....then was informed by the service manager to replace my radiator because the coolant and transmission fluid could leak an cause transmission failure. Bought a new radiator an in the process of replacing. In the very near future my family will out of the Nissan business.....wife drives one now....but it want last long in our driveway. An to think I was about to consider buying the new Nissian Titan Diesel.

It's a good one
By Tom

2006 Nissan Frontier Nismo 4dr King Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

What a good truck everybody should own at least one