Used 2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab Consumer Reviews - 57 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Fontier 2002 2wd 4cyl auto just shy of 200k
By truckcommuter

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I like my last of the little Frontiers. Unfortunately it will get replaced by a car because all manufacturers have gone to to over-sized, gas wasting behemoths they call mid size pick up trucks. My Frontier is a daily commuter, still gets 20-24 MPG always did. Regular maintenance (oil , trans fluid, belts , shocks, muffler,etc.) has gotten me up to 195.5k . Dealer replaced one rear axle bearing during the first month of ownership due to a factory error. Dealer ignored assembly issue from factory for installation error on an intake coolant hose , the fix was picked up by my (independent) mechanic who says he had three more of the same truck with the same problem in the 6 months following. The only unusual items were the infamous steering linkage replacement that plagued 2wd Frontiers at about 75k (Nissan does not sell replacement tie rod ends individually). Both rear brake cylinders had to been replaced about the same time .Water pump around 105k. Had a piece of wiring harness ground out and kill the engine a couple months back. My mechanic said that the insulation became brittle and rubbed off. What do you want for a 14 year old truck? 1 hour of labor and its up and going again just like before. My mechanic said years back that I should be able to make 200k, so that's where I'm goin. Should hit that this summer at about the time the truck turns 15 years old. The dealer parts source I use in Texas is now having a hard time getting parts for my previous generation truck. Its doesn't have NAV, blutooth, backup camera or , power windows, and has a cheezy 2 speaker stereo ,but it does what its supposed to do, roll down the windows and drive. Sometimes with a mower or furniture in the back. I'll miss it.

Great truck, I'll stick with Nissan
By biker

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second update since I posted my original review.
It is January 2018 and my 2002 frontier has approximately 132,000 miles and has required zero repairs since my last update July 2016.
Maintenance since then is tires, belts, oil changes, Coolant Flush and Brake fluid replacement.
I broke my cab mounted rear brake light (Not the fault of the truck) and when I replaced it found a little rust beneath it.
As the paint on the roof is getting oxidized a bit, I am going to repaint the roof soon and address the small rust area.
This is an update of my original review from 2010. It is now July 2016. I still have this truck I bought new....
Now I am at 14 years with my Frontier and it still going strong. I bought this truck new in 2002. I use my Frontier for towing a motorcycle trailer and it does fine.
The interior looks great with slight wear on the drivers seat and sun visor.
The paint is still in good shape even though it is always outdoors in the Florida weather (Including 3 hurricanes in 2004)
In 14 years and 125000 miles, I have replaced the A/C compressor, a valve cover gasket and a shifter seal. That is it....The gasket and shifter seal...200 bucks including labor....The A/C about 900.... Not bad for 14 years.
Front brake pads replaced once.
Rear brakes...original. Clutch...Original.
Suspension, original.
The 2.4l 4 banger with the 5 speed is adequate but won't win any drag races. The gas mileage is great. Even with a raised topper, I get 25 and without the topper I average 26-28 on the highway. The ride is a bit stiff but it is a truck after all. Overall I am very satisfied and plan to keep it forever....
I will update this review again in a few more years.....

Disappointed
By jratzloff

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE-V6 Desert Runner 2WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the Desert Runner (100,000 miles) after owning a 97 Dodge. The heater core had to be replaced ($700), the heater controls on the dash were "stripped" out and did not work properly($250), and the air distribution box under the dash still needs to be replaced, but I won't do that for a while, if ever. I've had many small trucks, but none rode as rough as this one. I have replaced the shocks and will change tires soon. On a smooth road, it is great, but on a rough road, wow!. Steering wheel blocks the dash instruments (I am 6'3"). Truck looks great and has enough room inside for me, but I am really disappointed in the mechanical aspects of the truck, specially for a Nissan.

Exterior looks.

Interior quality (heater parts) and the rear fold down seats rattle.

I'd buy again but Frontier too big now
By kyboy

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Truck is babied. Other than oil and filter changes, no expense, but air went out at 45k. Still on original tires at 55k. Rear vibrated even when new, 55-65 mph. Gearing is very tall, making engine appear sluggish, took some time to get used to having to rev up to take off, but love the mpg, 24/28.

Plasticky fender flares (eye-roll-here).

5 lug wheels. Spray in bed liner std.

Nice & Slow
By Ben

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great truck, nice looking, great mpg, very slow. I have an auto with 63,000. Something squeaks when i go over bumps.

Looks, long bed, reliability.

Better acceleration.