Used 1996 Mitsubishi Montero Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mitsubishi Montero Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:

Workhorse Deluxe
By Pee Wee Denton

1996 Mitsubishi Montero LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle is not sleek or dynamic from a visual concept but, it is reliable and a workhorse for the average family.

Ron of Montgomery Alabama
By Ron Sutton

1996 Mitsubishi Montero LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Was used primarily for road travel with a load of product and brochures for Sales and Marketing for all DoD, Federal and State Government sales of computers and computer related equipment for a seven year period. It was an office on wheels. It never failed me or let me down in any way. Unfortunately my supporting Mitsubishi dealership closed in Montgomery, AL. I have had to let some things go for lack of a competent and trustworthy repair facility. I am having to take the vehicle to different repair facilities for different types of maintenance requirements. I'm due for a timing belt change and have found a recommended facility finally. I'm ordering most of the parts myself.

Easy to drive. Great road visibility. Absolutely reliable. Great sound and CD changer. Comfortable seats for long hauls. Not the quickest, but it a comfortable mule for hauling and pulling. 4 wheel drive levels are easy to use and work great.

Don't try to make a workhorse a pretty racehorse. You can't please everyone, so don't try. I don't like the newer unitized body SUVs at all. I currently have a vehicle that has never let me down. The roof could be made stronger and the rubber supports tend to come unglued. Less noisy wipers.

My Favorite Car to Date
By jim

1996 Mitsubishi Montero LS 4dr SUV 4WD

What can I say? Hmmm, this was one of the best vehicles I ever owned. I hate to part with it, but it is time. I have not put much into the car except tires and batteries over the years. The paint has held up well and is still as shiny as the day I purchased it. I will miss my old friend.

Sun roof, storage under the seats, 20 plus MPG on the freeway and 17 around town. Great AC and heat.

Front armrests too short to be used. Drink holder in console is too small for water bottles.

'96 Montero - a True Offroad Vehicle
By Bob Britz

1996 Mitsubishi Montero SR 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this 1996 at three years old and 45,000 miles. It now has 175,000 miles and I have no vision to sell it. Approximately 23,000 of my 130,000 miles driven have been off road in the Sierra Nevada, Inyo, and Death Valley areas. Not light offroad, but 4WD locking hubs off road required stuff. I've changed the oil every 3,000 miles and had only one major repair when a part of the intake plenem broke off and caused internal valve damage. The car gets a consistent 15 mpg and has never left me stranded due to it's advanced 4WD dual locking hubs (a rare item on any SUV today) and its capacity radiators and transmission coolers. Mitsubishi outfitted this truck perfectly - not for soccer moms.

The mid-body sunroof, locking hubs all around, high rev - high torque engine, consistent gas mileage at 15 mpg, full bench style seating in the rear, short nose front end for rock climbing, real skip plates and real off road rims at 15" - none of this tame SUV stuff on almost all cars following it.

The rear seat arm rests dig into passengers' backs when a third person is added. The third row seats are impractical. They're only good for short trips. The rear door hinge catch is sometimes faulty holding the door when the truck is at an angle. The rear bumper is a little flimsy (I've repaired or replaced four times).

Best Car We've Ever Owned
By 8YR Montero Owner

1996 Mitsubishi Montero LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I really regret selling this car. We
had it for 8 years and it was the best,
most reliable, most comfortable vehicle
we have ever owned. It worked
flawlessly, and only ever had very minor
problems with it. I would highly
recommend a Montero to anyone, and am
considering buying another. The vehicle
I replaced it with just doesn't come
close to the Montero. It's very capable
both off road and on. I've driven this
back and forth from Los Angeles to
Vancouver multiple times as well as used
it for a daily commuter. I can't say
enough good things about this car. If
you're in the market for an SUV put the
Montero on your short list.

Very comfortable even with cloth interior. Roomy, can hold 7 passengers and loads of gear. Amazing stereo. Most reliable car I've ever had.

Make the rearmost seats completely removeable. In their folded-up state they can block your view of other vehicles when you do a shoulder check. The simple solution to this is to fold the backs down and leave the seats on the floor.