Used 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage Sedan Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mitsubishi Mirage Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mirage model:

GREAT LITTLE CAR.
By David

2001 Mitsubishi Mirage Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Hello, I have had many, many cars through out the years from muscle cars to Hondas, and I am also a Mechanic. I bought this mirage for only $500. It has 253,000 miles on it. Runs like a top. Gets great gas mileage. I just run 87 octane gas in it, and I'm getting 30-32 MPG in the city! Not bad . it's very dependable. I know it's going to start every time I get in it. The cons: the window regulators are cable driven and are famous for the cables to break. But it only take about 15 minutes to swap one out. I had to change 3 of them when I bought it. Got all 3 at the local junk yard for $60.and fuel sending unit was bad. But also so easy to replace. The access port is under the back seat. (3) 8 mm bolts and you're done. I love this little car! I would recommend one to anyone who is looking for an a to b vehicle, or first car.

Would buy another brand new if they re-made these!
By Mike

2001 Mitsubishi Mirage Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Truly unbelievably reliable. Bought this from friends who were original owner and nothing but normal maintenance has ever been done to this other than some emissions things that needed to be done for living in Illinois (car came from Indiana). Car now has over 211,000 miles on it and still going strong. Only issues are so minor I don't even care (cup holders as mentioned are long gone), driver side door electronic lock wore out, keys are getting worn so only one will open the trunk. Lever to pop the trunk is broken.. but all these are so minor for such an old car, that the fact that nothing major has ever gone wrong yet on this car is truly a testament. Having had many used Ford's, Chrysler's, with MUCH lower mileage etc over the years and having to continually put in tons of work just to get the thing to run long enough to get to work, and then having this has been amazing. I will truly be sad when the time comes, and I wish more cars were this simple, cheap and reliable.

Fantastic Car!!!
By keatz85

2001 Mitsubishi Mirage Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

After my first car, a Pontiac that gave me nothing but trouble, I wanted to get a foreign car that was dependable and affordable.
The Mirage hit a home run.
Drove it for 7 years and 122,000 miles. Barely put any money into it except for normal maintenance.
Parts starting wearing out more around 170k miles but what do you expect?
Liked this Mitsubishi so much I decided to upgrade to a newer Galant.
So far it's awesome as well.
This car's value is one of the best, if not the best.
If you can find one with 100k miles or so, i'd say you're good to go for several years.

Cost, MPG, looks good.

Cup holders aren't good, I didn't have cruise, and there's only one power adapter.

undisputed champ car
By skyyfish

2001 Mitsubishi Mirage Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I are both in our early 30's.
While Im on my 6th car. This is still her very 1st car. And its not because she doesnt have fun driving it! I am amazed by this car! The odometer now says 267,000 and its all original. just easy standard maintainance. It just blows my supposedly better vehicle choices away. Thank You Mitsu!

Longevity, Ease of maintainance.

Better Cup Holders?! lol

Underrated and underappreciated
By manythemiles

2001 Mitsubishi Mirage Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought car used in December 2011 with 144k on the odometer. Have driven the car 10k since purchase and am very pleased with it. Car gets very good gas mileage and has so far proven to be reliable and simple to maintain. All required maintenance can be done by anyone who has a basic knowledge of cars. Engine is well laid out and the small engine allows easy access to most components. Interior materials are of high quality and would rival the best. Dashboard layout isn't terrible, but I would've appreciated a higher radio placement. Cupholder is small and it's effectiveness can vary. Blocks radio. Overall though, I think I will be holding onto this one for a while. Very satisfied overall.

folding rear seat, manueverability and gas mileage.

Dash layout could have been improved. Would have liked to have a sliding coin tray on driver's side similar to Honda or Toyota. Also whould have liked to have an O/D on and off switch on the shifter, as well as a shift lock override. Cupholders should be placed behind the shifter.