Used 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Eclipse for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Great used car over100K

The 3g Man, 05/19/2010

2003 Mitsubishi eclipse Gt, v6, Sportronic shifter. Great Exterior look, except the fake vents in the front.v6 engine good power for automatic shifty, not good for turbo boosting.Alloy wheels great touch and clean. Inside, Cheap plastic interior (which is good If you ever need to replace it). I like it. No leg room for people over 5'11. Very small in the back, good for newborns- preteens and adults, no. Seats are very comfortable for long driving. Gas mileage is good, 22 ct/27 Hw. $30 to fill. Slow start@shifting through 1st gear but gets better at 2nd. Expensive 6 cyl tuneup ($550). Timing belt+labor $640. Maintenance regular. Premium gas only. Mits is having a recall, don't get black.

A great car that seems to last forever. . .

John Griffith, 01/06/2017
GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

What can I say about this car? It has been an excellent and fun daily driver for the past 14 years and is still going strong. I have owned it since new and it has never let me down. Oh sure there was an occasional flat or dead battery but those are maintenance items. Keep up with the maintenance on it and it wont have any problems. I don't think the car has ever actually failed. It always starts right up no problems, when the battery was good that is. I've gone through oh 4-5 batteries on it. 5 timing belts and one transmission. The transmission? yes that did eventually fail . . . at ~320,000 miles! I don't really think of that as a failure, just wear and tear. It was worn out. The guy working on it said he had never seen such wear. Even in that state It didn't leave me by the side of the road. I was able to drive it to a shop, it was just acting funny, like taking 5 seconds to shift. Even so, 320K miles for a transmission is hard to beat in any car. I have no complaints. I'm not kidding this car has 377 thousand miles on it. Original engine, and never been overhauled. It did have lifter tick (very noisy) at 220K but I replaced the lifters (lash adjusters), which is a job you can do just under the valve covers, and it has not been an issue since. Overall I'd say the build quality of the car is super high given the longevity I've gotten out of it. There is very little rust on the car too. The ride is solid and smooth as can be, even at interstate speeds. Just keep it aligned and replace the shocks when they are due. Again maintenance. I trust this car as my daily driver to get me to work every day. The engine is still strong and can still accelerate hard when I need it to. It still gets 26-27 miles to the gallon if you aren't a lead foot. If you keep it maintained this car will last a long time. It does lack a bit in the radio department compared to today's radios but still sounds great. What the radio doesn't do is bluetooth or have an aux input or navigation. If you want all that you can upgrade it easily as it is a standard 2-din (size) radio. All the stock speakers save one are still in it and sound great. The only speaker to fail me was the one in the center of the dash and that was due to direct sunlight and age drying out the cone. If you disconnect that speaker however you really don't miss it. I do think I will need to eventually overhaul the engine, one day, I'm not deluding myself there. Just not tomorrow. The last shop I had it at told me the compression is still good and within factory spec. It is starting to leak/burn oil though. What else can I expect from it . . . it is positively ancient in miles. I suspect the valve stem seals are the cause, I never replaced them. . Again I have no complaints, it has held up so well over the years that if it is only now in need of that after all those miles, I'll just smile and pay some shop to fix it. Its better than a new car payment and this car still looks good. Most people never guess that it has that many miles on it unless I tell them and they they do a double take and still don't believe it. I get it a lot from the shops that service it. One last thing, don't ever skip an oil change and don't put anything less than premium in it. I put mid-grade 89 in it ONCE back in 2005 I think. . . never again. The mileage dropped to about 20 MPG and it ran like a PIG. I shudder to think what 85 would have done. I saved 10% cost on the gas (30 cents on 3$) but had to use 35% more gas to get where I needed to be (27 vs 20 mpg). It is counter intuitive to some, but you actually save money using the premium gas. That and the car will behave better and actually pass other cars when you need it. Use the gas it was designed to use.

Best Car Under 5k

peelout, 03/13/2015
GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

You can get these cars for very cheap. They are extremely nice. I got mine for 3,000 from a friend of the family, it could've of easily been sold for 5,000 however. (It's really good condition) Mine has 137,000 miles on it. It's fast, I've gotten it up to 150. It's good on gas. (Unless you shift at 5k RPM like me when im trying to impress my friends -- i can watch the gas gauge go down) 18-25mpg. Please put premium in this car, yes it matters. Look it up. When you're not hot rodding this car, it still turns heads. Very nice looking. If you're worried about your kid hot rodding it like me, get them the 4cyl. This car is great. Do your kid a favor, don't get him a grandma car. get an eclipse.

Love the looks, but some design flaws

andymick32, 01/08/2013

Bought this car with 60k miles and put 30k miles on the car in 2.5 years before selling. All in all, the car was pretty darn reliable. I didn't have any mechanical issues besides the sun roof which is a known problem. Went to get the car inspected this summer and was told the bottom of the car was rusting out. The mechanic showed me the apple sized hole right underneath the drivers side floorboard and another spot below the gas tank and the fuel filler neck and the trunk lid! The car has some major issues here as certain areas are prone to collect water. Make sure you check these areas before you buy!

03 Mitsubishi

C.Mozeley, 10/15/2010

My 03' has 150K miles, purchased new in 02'. Replaced front struts within 2 months. Have replaced the brake pads and rotors 4 times. The brakes start pulsating after 3500 - 4500 miles. Also, 3 heat shields have rusted off, 1 of them within a year's time. Dealership advised me not park on dry grass. Sunroof sticks. Rusty inside engine compartment.

2003 eclipse

Vicky, 05/24/2016
GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car brand new in 2003 n it still runs GREAT! It's a problem free car only had to do minor things in the thirteen years I've owned it. Tires oil changes belt extra. The little things. I love my car after all these years!

190,000 Miles and Still Going Strong

guitar_guy, 06/08/2011

I bought this car new in 2004. It was February, and the salesman was discouraged as he walked me to the lot, and the car was under a pile of snow. He said all he had was a 4 cylinder with standard transmission... I didn't let on, but that's EXACTLY what I wanted. The car has been a dream to own. I have performed regular maintenance with my own mechanics. I never went back to the dealer, and never needed to. Oil changes every 3000, and regular timing belt changes were the bulk of maintenance. Also plugs every 60k. I replaced two tie rods, and recently an axle (after 189,000). Two sets of brake pads. That's about it. I love this car, and I don't want to part with it.

MY NEW CAR

SUPRBABE2000, 05/03/2002

I WAS LOOKING FOR A CAR AND I WANTED A SPORTS CAR. I NEVER WANTED AN ECLIPSE BUT THE SALES MAN TALKED ME INTO A TEST DRIVE. I FELL IN LOVE WITH IT. IT SHARP IT LOOKS NICE AND IT RIDES GREAT. WITH GAS PRICES AS HIGH AS THE ARE NOW ITS GOOD TO KNOW I CAN GO A WHILE ON A FULL TANK. AND THE PRICE ON IT AMAZED ME.

My 2003 Eclipse GTS

rmitch86, 04/15/2011

I owned a 2001 GS for a few years i inherited it from my parents when they traded up i loved it. When that car was rear ended and totalled in december i purchased a 2003 eclipse GTS gun metal grey. It has 74k and running great. My 01 got up to 212k and was running like a champ. Just do your sched maint. and keep an eye on problem areas. Both have been 5 speed and the feel of the clutch and the way the shifter pops into place is great. Very fun car to drive especially in the summer with the windows down and sunroof open. as long as you take car of the car and keep up with it the eclipse will treat you right. even stock its a head turner.

Follow up from 2011 review / 2014 comments

overboost007, 02/09/2014

Ok my 2003 GTS Eclipse V6 currently has 119000 miles. received Duralast Gold brake pads since I purchased it and 2 oil changes Mobile 1 synthentic and thats it. Now the BAD. The Flywheel and clutch went. Replaced them at Don Herring Mitsubishi in Plano Texas Thanks JT. Then the ABS light came on. I'll go to Auto Zone and get the Code and fix it myself. So far the second best used car I have owned next to my old 1999 Honda Accord CPE V6. AGAIN I do not race. The only upgrade is an INJEN Intake system. Hopefully I can trade it in next year for a 2011 Dodge Charger or challenger. But my 2003 MITS GTS is one of the best reliable used cars you can buy hands down.

Beautiful car and fun to drive

vkmicro, 09/23/2014

Well let me start off with comparing it to different cars I drove and took for a test drive. Before eclipse I used to drive 4 door sedans, and comparing to the sedans, Mitsubishi eclipse has much more maneuverability on the roads both on high speeds and around the city. Comparing to the Grand Prix 1997 which I used to have, it's slightly worse on the snow because it's a lot lighter weight, so have to drive with more caution. I have a GS edition with automatic transmission and it's awesome, it's really fast and like I mentioned before very agile on the road. Overall I give the car 9/10, wish it was slightly better designed inside (EX: Better cup holders) but it's fun and looks amazing.

Fun to Drive!

sara_huntley, 06/06/2013

I bought my Eclipse from a private seller in Aug 2012 with 119, 990 miles on it which turned to 120,000 on the way home. The guy didn't tell me all of the problems that came with it but that was expected. The car was over 100k and obviously needed some repairs due to its age. They were all minor fixes that were neglected. Throughout the couple months of fixing these things the car ran very well. I have never been stuck on the side of the road! I love that it came with the power shift for accelerating even with a 4-cyl. With regular maintenance this car can go for 200k+ miles!

My first officially owned car, totally worth it

Term, 04/06/2016
GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The 2003 GT Eclipse is great! I recently traded it in for a brand new Mazda3 which is also fantastic, but I often find myself missing the Eclipse even though my Mazda3 is fully loaded and is very fun to drive itself! The car drove extremely well but certainly was not meant to be tuned as it wasn't fast and the engine was.... interesting to work on to say the least. That's certainly not saying that it was not fast enough to pass other cars with ease when called upon. She was an absolute head turner, I powder coated the stock rims black and put limo tint on the windows which REALLY made her stand out from the crowd. When I had the sunroof flipped out, she was one of the sportiest cars on the road. I didn't have the leather interior but it was still perfect with how Mitsubishi laid everything out. The sound package that came with her was fantastic and I never needed to touch it as it was spot on. I did, however, swap the head unit with something more modern (bluetooth). Mechanically, this car was partially sound. Downsides were replacing wearing parts such as the timing belt (yes, it has a timing belt in the v6) and maintaining the suspension which became a headache near the end of my ownership. The cruise control solenoid failed near the end too, which left the "Cruise" light on and the actual unit unusable. Another issue that apparently a lot of Mitsu's have is the engine burning and leaking oil, which at 139,000 miles on mine was a serious problem, every gasket on the engine was leaking oil (head gasket, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, and even the main rear seal which was NOT WORTH IT TO FIX AT ALL). I did a lot of the maintenance work on it myself such as replacing a cracked radiator which resulted from road debris, the front bumper which a truck backing out of a parking spot poked a hole into with their hitch, replacing spark plugs and cleaning the intake. I can't say my knees didn't take a beating from doing this work as a result of the v6, but at the end of the day it was easy and Mitsubishi designed this car to be easy to maintain and allowed me to cut my teeth on car maintenance for the first time. It had very slight rust issues but that's easy to overlook because it only affected specific parts of the car. I love this car and would recommend it to anyone. I enjoyed it and still really miss her, wish that I could have kept her but the dealer gave me a trade-in offer that I couldn't pass up. I hope if anyone ever owns my car in the future, they can fix her up properly and give her a garage that I always wish I could have provided. :)

Underrated Car

kobo1d, 09/09/2009

I've had my Eclipse GTS Automatic for a little over 4 years and it has been a very nice car. Bought used, still under factory bumper-to-bumper warranty, I've driven it hard (currently at 67000 miles) and have had very little issues with it. The only problems with the car have been some electrical issues: The factory 6-CD player completely stopped working, refusing to play and making a horrible crunching sound constantly. Mitsubishi wanted $450 to fix it, so I just replaced it with an aftermarket setup. The switch for the passenger side window only rolls the window up, not down, so the passenger has to roll down their own window. Sunroof switch is touchy. And yes, the plastic scratches easy.

Awesome

Ruben, 01/19/2010

I purchased my 03 Eclipse used with 35,000 miles in 2005. It currently has 115,000 miles. This car has been a blast to drive. It hasn't given me problems other than routine maintenance (brakes, tires, battery, belts). The sportronic transmission is awesome, although I don't use it as much. I am selling it now because I need a bigger vehicle. Will miss it for sure. Would buy a new eclipse again if the body style on newer eclipses are similar to the 00-05 models.

Too awesome...

mustangof08, 11/21/2013

I got my license a few months ago, was looking on a used car dealership website, and found a silver Eclipse. So I told my dad about it, and got out of school one day to find it sitting where I usually park my mom's car at school. Big surprise. I've been driving it for only about 2 1/2 months now, but every second has been amazing. My friends tell me how good it looks, and how good it sounds for a 4-cyl. I love it, and you know it's gotta be a reliable car when a 16 year old drives it. Teenagers drive like we're blind, but this car never lets me down. Definitely recommend. 9/10

I Love My Car!!!

spunkymonkey72, 05/20/2014

I purchased this car used in 2010. I figured I'd have fun and drive it until my son was old enough to drive it and then I would pass it down to him. Well, he is 6 months away from being able to get his license and honestly...I don't want to give it up! It has been very reliable and lots of fun to drive. In the time I have owned it I have only had to replace the battery and tires.

Fabulous Car, Fully Recommended

MissBunny, 02/14/2008

I have wanted a Mitsubishi Eclipse since I was 11 years old believe it or not! When I finally bought my Eclipse GTS in I was ecstatic to find that it was everything I hoped for and then some! It has a beautiful, classy, and sporty look, it drives wonderfully on the freeway and city and it has great get-up-and-go! I mean you can really feel the power behind that pedal! It has a pretty rad stock infinity sound system with a 6 disc changer. It has a very comfortable front seat with leather power seats/windows. And the sunroof is a must have! The only thing I dont like is its turning radius is awful. All in all I love the car, it actually makes me want to drive for no reason, just to drive!

WassuP!

MrX, 08/02/2003

This is one of the most fun and reliable car I ever owned. I didn't think I would have bought the car until I test drove it. Once I test drove the car I knew I had to buy it. What a great investment. Two words... Test Drive!

2002 Eclipse GT Never Lets Me Down

Joe Hussar, 09/27/2003

This is my second Eclipse. Previously I owned a 1st gen GS. After 245,000 miles I finally traded for the 2002 GT. The vehicle is a smoother and quieter ride but has more muscle than even a non turbo 3000GT. It remains a head turner even though some of the girls are younger than permissible by law. The black leather interior with silver exterior is beyond awesome. For the money, nothing beats an Eclipse. Mitsu builds cars with integrity and of course, unique trend setting style. Why spend more? You won't get more!

Beneathe the Silver Lining

NJJ, 10/01/2003

The new eclipse is a cloud of deceit without the silver lining. Coolant system with poor circulation, and very poor quality engine components. Wait until you go through a winter with snowy, salty roads and watch your engine compartment rust out. If you make it to 36,000 miles your transmission is likely to start giving coast down clunks and clicking noises. Poor quality rims dent easily on 2002 models. Intake and exhaust systems are inefficiently designed, negatively effecting performance. Beautiful car from the exterior, after a year looks like a rusty '78 Dodge Dart. Dealerships talk their way around fixing problems and the car still sells.

Close to perfect (for me)

Payback_56, 11/08/2003

The car iteself is great, has a great feel to it, good handling, tight on turns. Able to handle speed well Came with side of steering column busted, but they were fast to fix it, excellent service.

Great cars even used if you take care of it

overboost007, 10/16/2012

OK people lesson I am 6ft 8in tall, 260 lbs, I formally drove a 1999 Honda Accord EX CPE V6 with 248,000. Now I have a 2003 Mitsubishi clipse GTS 5 speed manual that had 98,000 on it when I bought it. The previous owner took great care of it. I went through it hard. I am just a DIY guy that knows car. This car was a good buy because of how it was taken care of. The dealers can clean it up but I know brakes, fuel systems, intake, transmission & engine. It is not rocket science. Research on line and make a good choice. The car runs great I will upgrade the brakes to what I like an just maintain it until I am ready to by a newer vehicle

exciting drive

schumacher, 03/27/2003

my mitsu is titanium w/sunroof and infinity sound which i find to be ok. i get lots of stares because this car just plain looks bad ass. and it is if you can handle a clutch and shifter in a racer fashion . i can rip a 7 second 0-60 and 15.2 1/4 mile. however i wish mitsu would have distanced itself from other cars of this type by offering a 230 hp, 235 lb.ft torque engine. it would have been the smart thing to do in order to draw people away from competitors such as acura and toyota.

Fun sports coupe

Red GTS, 09/19/2007

I wanted to buy my daughter the Eclipse in 2003, but opted for a "practical" 4 door vehicle. 4 years later, I helped her trade in the other vehicle for a red '03 Eclipse GTS (with only 20,000 miles). It's a sharp looking, great performing car. Made changes to the wheels (larger) and new wider Kumho tires. I own an '06 Eclipse GT (6M) and find it to be great. Now, I'm glad to see her as an owner of the Eclipse she always wanted.

Great car

Shane, 11/21/2015
GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Best model they made what do you expect. Its governed at 147. Anyone that says they had theyre 4cyl to 150 either doesnt have a gov or is lieing. But the car is fast. 0 to 60 in about 6 sec. Very nice and fun to drive got the car at 70k

Reliable and Fun to Drive

Chris, 12/30/2017
GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new in 2003 and as a first time buyer I didn't do my homework before hand. This car might look fast but the acceleration is slow it did a little better when in sportronic shift mode. The interior was small especially the backseat and the materials didn't look quality made. I did like the exterior look of the car and I got quite a few compliments on it. I have to admit I had fun driving it and did a lot of road trips. It's also very reliable for the 8 years that I owned this car I put over 150K miles with no issues. Would I ever buy an eclipse again probably not and I can see why Mitsubishi no longer makes them.

Hot car, bad mechanics

flowerstar333, 12/01/2012
GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first car. I bought it at 79k miles used. 6 thousand miles later, we've put $6000 from the day I got it. Dealer sold it with the wrong transmission in it. That was 4000. Something with the steering wasn't right and a few other things that costed 1000. For a few months it was ok. During the summer when I turned it on, it just died after a few seconds. That hasn't happened since. I noticed a creaking sound to the right. It had a worn upper engine mount and transmission mount and a oil gasket leak which all costed 1200 to fix. I wouldn't suggest this for a first especially if you only have a min wage job! It's so much fun to drive but is that really worth all my money?

Be cautious of 1.9% financing from MMCA

jlarimer2002, 09/23/2003

Mitsubishi Motor Credit of America (MMCA) reeled me in with the special 1.9% financing rate and then sold my loan to another company within 30 days of my purchase. I was never sent an initial monthly statement or notice that my loan had been sold prior to my first payment due date. I had to make my first payment over the phone which cost an additional $10.00 for the ACH fee.

Attention getter

good to go, 11/22/2009

My car prior to this was a 95 Saturn sc so you can imagine the power jump. Since then I have done little things to mod it; intake, headers, and ground effects for a clean look and it has been nothing but easy to work with. Two other buddies and I took it to fl from wi and we averaged 35 mpg, the person in the back had to suffer but it made for a very successful spring break. Now it has about 70,000 and there has not been a problem with it yet! Also I have always owned manuals all of my life and this one has a weird gear set up which makes shifting from 1st gear to second gear hard for a smooth ride but I still have had no complaints haha.

my first car

eclipze, 04/08/2010

I got this car for my 16th birthday with 59,000 miles on it my mom drove it back from Pittsburgh to me about 2000 miles. It's baby blue v6 3.0 liter, has good power and I have 2 12 inch sub woofers in the trunk and even at the loudest the car doesn't rattle great car no problems at all with it.

Car Sucks

Joebert, 01/09/2003

This is the absolute worst car I have ever driven. The transmission will not shift into 1st gear driving over 5 MPH and sometimes not into 2nd gear if over 15 MPH. The dealer said that this is normal for Mitsubishi and that "They do not have the smoothest shifting transmissions out there." Why is it that for the first 6-8 weeks of owning this car did it drive fine? Nobody wants to address this question. I have had it in there a total of 4 times for this issue and the first time they replaced the synchronizers (maybe) and now they tell me, "We replaced them to make the customer happy. I will NEVER buy another car from that dealership.

Stay Away

MinderaserNO, 10/09/2003

I have had my 03 GTS Eclipse for a about a year and a half. It has been in the shop 4 times... once they had my car for over 2 WEEKS! Everything that could go wrong with this car - has. Stay away.

Great Car

Zach, 04/03/2017
GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Just dont drive the car to the ground, have fun

Sporty

Len Muller, 12/21/2015
GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Not for 5

Good, solid car & looks and drives great

TonyM, 07/25/2008

I just got the GTS, 5-speed about 2 months ago. A little late maybe. But it's what I could afford. I think this car is very solid and runs great. As long as you keep up on your oil changes, and put premium in it like the owners manual suggests. The first thing I noticed because I immediately drove it on the highway was it takes a while to find a comfortable adjustment on your seat in conjunction with using the clutch as well as sitting for prolonged periods of times. My back hurt for about a week in beginning to drive it. It's fast though, for sure. This car packs a punch! I haven't had it long enough to really even encounter mechanical problems... *knock on wood*.

Best Car Ever

SamanthaJo, 08/08/2008

I purchased my Eclipse a year ago and I have loved every minute of owning it. It is a very reliable car and a lot of fun to drive. It drives and handles very well. I love the appearance, inside and out. I would not give this car up for any other car out there. The gas mileage is good for a sports car and I have had no problems with this car.

03 RS Eclipse still running fine

mutt, 12/20/2007

It's been a fun car with enough acceleration to drive however you want (manual transmission). With only a 4 banger, it gets almost "green car" gas mileage. A perfect blend of mpg and acceleration. When I test drove the automatic, it didn't respond how I wanted to drive. Its easy to work on, the spark plugs and oil changes are easy access. Its had 112,000 miles driven in about 5 years. No problems with regular maintrnance. Now if only my wife would learn to drive stick shift.

Found my tuner

godfather6385, 12/05/2008

The car has excellent acceleration for a 4 cylinder. The suspension is stiff but yet smooth. There is plenty of room in the trunk for many items. The back seat is a bit cramped, but there is plenty of room up front.

Hard to think of getting rid of it

very impressed, 01/03/2009

We bought this car with 60 miles on it in 2004. It now has 206,000 on it. It is amazingly reliable. Especially considering how we have abused it. It has been rear-ended and ditched. The only thing we have done is replace the belt that needs replaced @ 70,000 miles, replaced a bearing in the clutch @ 140,000 miles and recently had to replace the battery for the first time. I really can't say enough about this car. The thought of getting something else that won't be as reliable is hard to take. If I weren't a mother of 2 I would just get another one!!! Our Infiniti G35 sedan is another story and probably adds to my anxiety about replacing it. Keep up the good work Mits.

Better than expected gas mileage

IowaWinters, 01/22/2009

Other than maintenance items this car has been super reliable. It sits low to the ground but still got around in 7.5 inches of snow this winter. Granted I have pretty new tires on it! Stock brake rotors are crap - invest in some nice aftermarket ones. I put on drilled and slotted rotors and can stop on a dime! This summer I think I'll figure out why the A/C drips on my foot. Have heard the A/C vent tube can get clogged on these. Got 114,500 miles on it now and hope to get at least 200,000 out of it!

Tremendous buy - and would buy again!

Sero, 01/23/2009

I purchased the GT new in 2003, and had to get the 5-speed manual transmission. Even though it's a V-6, my 5-year average MPG is 27.5! Having lived in Erie, PA and Cleveland, the heavy build and FWD helps get through snow. This car is not only a great looking car, but wonderful to drive - particularly through the hills of Eastern Ohio and Western PA. If it wasn't for kids on the way, I'd keep this great auto or upgrade to a newer model. I HIGHLY recommend anyone considering a nice sporty car to get an Eclipse for the fun and value.

Love, love love the color !!!

Sanatweety, 05/21/2002

I have just gotten my car so I don't know how great it really is yet, but it's a very pretty car & fast didn't know how fast until I took it out of the show room. Vey roomy for the driver & passager but the back seats are very small & no leg room, but I still love the car.

Need Performance Boost

bizhorse, 05/21/2002

It is not a bad deal for a $20,000 car, yet I have always struggled with the poor performance. Like another review from a magazine:"It looks a lot sportier than it drives". Everything else is not bad except for the noise. It gets really loud on the highway, I could barely hear my radio.

eclipse 2003

sharp, 05/21/2002

I used to own a Z28 camero. I thought there would never be another car that i could fall in love with again, but i was wrong. I bought the 2003 eclipse 2 weeks ago and love everything about it. The interior is a great--midnight shade. i love how the blue fades with the black. just wanted everybody to know how wonerful the car is!!!!

Reliable but not as fast as it looks

jrod, 05/13/2009

Just recently bought my 03 gs eclipse, it's a 4 cylinder so less power, better gas mileage. I thought with slight mods it would be a lot faster than what it is. Hasn't stalled or broken down on me once, and it is still fun to drive, and just by painting the rims and spoiler you WILL be completely satisfied with the look. I give it 80% outta a hundred.

the 2002 mit. POS5000!

wkryder, 05/29/2002

the interior is cramped and non functional. the exterior looks descent, but thats when you pop the hood and it is crowded. the trans gave out on me about 3000 miles!!@!

Fun Car!

Ruben, 05/28/2009

My Eclipse GS has 105,000 miles (got it with 35,000). It has been pretty reliable, besides doing some maintenance which isn't cheap. Other than that, it is an extremely fun car to drive. Moon roof open, windows down, it makes you feel good. Acceleration sounds awesome, even on the highway. When you sit in the driver's seat, you know you're in a sports car. It's OK in New England winter, but AWESOME in the summer!

Great car

mgouldsr, 05/31/2002

Runs great, build quality is excellent.

Powerful, comfortable, and reliable!

GT OWNER, 06/04/2002

I was trying to decide between this car and the Acura RSX (not the Type S). But for the same price, I felt I got a little more style, 40 additional horses, a wider selection in color and a reliable car that I can trust as much as the Acura.

51050