Used 2004 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 367 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

MINI MC40 Sportscar
By Mike B

2004 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

If you are looking for a true Sportscar at a great value a MINI S is the answer. In 2004 John Cooper and BMW paid tribute to the 1964 MINI that won the Monte Carlo Race. Only 1000 were produced which integrated some of the legendary John Cooper Motorworks features in a one time production. This car is so fun to drive, low center of gravity matched with a 4 cylinder turbo charged engine with 6 forward gears. Dives like a Go Kart and screams on the highway when weaving between traffic. This car is an exciting little brute that many drivers pay much more to experience the real joy of the sports car driving experience.

I lost a LOT of money buying a brand new MINI
By EX MINI owner and RELIEVED!

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car brand new in '04. It was a daily driver. I drive responsibly, care for my vehicles, and prefer to hang on to a vehicle rather than trade up as soon as possible. I still have a '65 Bug, a '76 Chevy Nova and a '91 Cadillac on the road. The MINI was the WORST INVESTMENT I HAVE EVER MADE, IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. In somewhat chronological order, it's failures included: constantly rattling speakers, replaced on two or more occasions; broken motor mounts (the dealer thought it was the clutch and replaced twice. Later, there was a recall on said motor mounts); Panel lights that would turn themselves off; Speedo and tach would randomly impersonate windshield wipers; Exterior trunk latch stopped working; fuel pump failure; Steering cooling fan failure; Steering rack needed replacement; Whining transmission. The car was well over 24K off the lot. 6 years later, with 80K on the odometer, I sold it for 3200.00 as to carry out the repairs would have cost a small fortune.

Great performance car
By H C

2004 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is a great performance car, especially when it comes to handling and driver engagement. While small, there is plenty of room in the front seats, but at the expense of the rear. First generation R53 MINI Cooper S is definitely more reliable than the second genarion that came out in 2007. Easy to modify with a 15% reduction superchager pulley and cold air intake to get this car around 200 hp.

My "Lil Blue"
By Kramer

2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a Mini for three years, and after much research and patience I finally bought one! I cannot say enough amazing things about this car, but first what I learned from reviews was DON'T BUY AN AUTOMATIC. They have major problems. (I only buy stick anyways) And the "S" model may be faster but seems to have more issues. So I bought the good ol' regular Coop. I just bought it with 99,000 miles and it drives and rides like it's brand new! It's it so fun to drive, ever night after I get off work I find myself aimlessly driving around because it's so fun to drive. The big mph gauge in the middle is awesome, and everything has a round and sophisticated feel to it. The clutch is so smooth. It handles like a dream. The seats HUG my back, even my dad was really impressed with the car. (And he's owned over 50 cars) He owns a Mercedes convertible which is fun to drive, but I have to say I enjoy driving this more! The second I test drove it I knew that was it. The car just feels like one with you. I will keep this car going for as long as possible unless I get a newer one. You are missing out if you don't have one! Just do the maintenance yourself and you'll be fine.

'04 Mini Cooper S, The Best!
By soldier73

2004 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought it with 128K miles 5 months ago as a comuter car, I drive 100 miles round trip daily to and from work in Germany.
I beat this car up, over 100 mph on the autobahn all of the time and it hasn't missed a beat yet and I've put over 11K miles on it. Ok, I've had to add oil here and there, but that's true with many turbo/super charged car.I'm a little bigger than the average guy, 6'2" but to my surprise the car is just right. I've even made trips with my family, wife and two boys 10 and 11 y/o in it and haven't had any issues with space.
I've owned multiple BMWs, to include the E46 M3 and this car is on par with the best of them with better fuel economy.

Fuel economy, build quality, handling, performance.