Used 2007 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:

Money pit
By Rick Radke

2007 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this vehicle at 52,000 miles in 2013. Pros: High ground clearance, handles pot holes, curbs, and other road hazards with impunity. Very stable in all weather conditions.

Cons: Since then, it had a total transmission failure, more than a few problems with the engine cooling system, two expensive computer repairs, a broken heater blend door, and a few other repairs. The factory alloy wheels corroded, causing frequent tire pressure loss. At this point, it seems like we've replaced everything but the engine.

Power is adequate, but gas mileage is around 12 MPG. If I had a do-over, I would have bought a different SUV.

Never buy another one
By Clint Hanebutt

2007 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Fuel systems, transmission, cooling, traction control will all give you isuses and breakdown. Money Pit

Member of the Family
By 4010diesel

2007 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have had our Mountaineer since the middle of 2008.
We could not be more satisfied.
I have utilized every feature and function of this vehicle.
Including the roof rack, Class II hitch, AWD, cargo area, child seating, etc., etc.
We have 3 children all of which are able to fit in the second row, leaving the rear cargo area available.
The stereo is strong, the power is sufficient, the gas mileage is fair for an SUV, it easily tows my boat, powers thru 12" of snow, is smooth on the highway, and is a joy to drive.
Although our V-6 is far from a performance engine I find that is provides all the pep I need and is relatively quiet considering the size of the vehicle.

AWD, stow and go 3rd row, comfortable interior, overall esthetics of vehicle, dual climate control.

The center cap on our alloy rims have cracks in them, our silver paint seems susceptible to surface rust dots.

Twice the pleasure
By Hillary

2007 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second mountaineer and I do tend to agree with most that my 2002 was better built, the engine was more powerful (v8) yet the fuel economy was good for such a big suv. With that said, I also love my 2007. I have done nothing but oil changes (66,000) and never had any kind of work on it. I have five kids of my own and also use it for work transporting kids and the interior (leather) cleans easily. No problems with any plastic parts inside its actually pretty solid.

We do road trips quite often and the vehicle is quite roomy and comfortable even with seven passengers.

My only complain would be the visibility when you are backing. There are a lot of blind spots. My sister has a pilot and I always envy her visibility.

Nice Looking Vehicle
By Premier

2007 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Great vehicle except the retractable running boards, need grease fitting to lube joints. Super vehicle in the ice/snow. Had to have the transmission adjusted at 10k miles. Suggest Ford look at the transmission in these vehicles, does not shift smoothly at low speeds.

Transmission not shifting smoothly at low speeds plus bumps when stopped at red lights. Retractable running boards need lube points at joints.