Used 2000 Mercury Cougar Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mercury Cougar Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

Great car good on gas?
By BH

2000 Mercury Cougar Hatchback V6 2dr Coupe

I would buy another one!"

LENGTHY BUT INFORMATIVE
By Jackson Burfitt

2000 Mercury Cougar Hatchback V6 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for 2 years as of now it has 102,911 miles on it when I first got the car it had about 60,000 miles on it. So I've driven the hell out of this car, 2 months after I got the car I had to change the alternator a couple times in a row no biggie my mechanic has a 1 year warranty, so I only had to pay for one. I've had the same alternator for 2 years no problems what usually happens is that the wiring or the regulator goes out. As for "unsporty" acceleration blame that on the stock air box/filter and the CD4E transmission (if you have auto the manual is way better if you know your optimal shift points.) I have put a K&N cold air intake performance spark plugs/wires and reflashed my PCM. And I'm still not done with her yet and she already pulls 10 times better than when she was stock (maybe a hyperbole ;) a little.) The body is still stock and I always get compliments people think it's a Jaguar sometimes. The car handles fantastic because of it's wide wheel base and touring multi link independent suspension agile like the cat it's named after. Interior looks a bit cheap but there are ways to fix that. Steering is a bit heavier than other cars but it's because of the Euro steering styling which I'd prefer over any other because I can "feel the road" so to speak, and since it is FWD you will feel torque steer (better around turns.) I've had a lot of close calls with accidents because of idiots on the road. It is definitely a car that you can drive and have fun as long as you take care of and it will take care of you!!

Driving With Prayers
By Kimberly Smith

2000 Mercury Cougar Hatchback V6 2dr Coupe

I drove my car off the show room floor in 2000 and I'm just now having problems with 90,000 miles and thats with very little to know rust, so I believe I've gotten my monies worth.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO
By Danny Reyez-Macias

2000 Mercury Cougar Hatchback I4 2dr Coupe

I had this for 2 years and it had 83k miles on it when I first had it... But boy oh boy, can the murderous ones look enticing.
Pros-
It had alright front seats
The CD player was great.
The sound system was awesome
It's really sporty.
Cons-
It rusts easily (Muffler fell off after a month of heavy rain after I hit a pothole)
There were many electronic issues. (3 batteries, 1 alternator, 4 tune ups within 2 years)
Sensor failures almost killed me twice.
After 6 months, the boot arms started wearing out.

Overall: It's a sporty death trap. Don't buy it.

My friend's Cougar
By Cougar gal

2000 Mercury Cougar Hatchback V6 2dr Coupe

Borrowed his Cougar a few times. It was swell.

Updated: I was too harsh with the ratings. It deserves 5 stars!