Used 2000 Mercury Cougar Hatchback Consumer Reviews

Used Cougar for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...23

Pros
Cons

Great, Reliable, Affordable

david689, 01/26/2015
V6 2dr Coupe

I drive my Cougar every day, 60 miles each way almost with no problems. Gets pretty good mpg. Sporty and safe, the Cougar is the best of both worlds. Not too roomy inside but that's expected.

Wonderful Car

Liz, 02/23/2009
V6 2dr Coupe

I just bought my Cougar last January, and I love it. It drives and handles great. I also learned that on long trips the gas mileage isn't as bad as you would think. I have drove it from North Carolina to Nevada with no problems. Now I am about to drive it from Nevada to Washington and so far the car seems like it has no problems this time, even after not being drove for 7 months. I just wish that the cup holders in the front were better. Besides that its a great car.

Great Car

Mike, 11/20/2006
V6 2dr Coupe

I got this car in apr 03 from an auction for 3k. well it had 97k miles on it then and it has 143k now and i've never had anything replaced. i did notice the hatch on the back likes to stick and the cup holder doesn't fit larger cups.. doesn't seem like that is worth complaining about tho. i think it is the "sports package" edition since it has everything on it i.e. moonroof, leather, electric seats, spoiler etc. i have traveled from Richmond to Miami and last summer stayed in Syracuse NY and drove down to Richmond VA just about every weekend for 3 months (yes a 7 hour drive!) and the car has never broken down or any problem what so ever! maybe i just got really lucky..

LENGTHY BUT INFORMATIVE

Jackson Burfitt, 12/29/2016
V6 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for 2 years as of now it has 102,911 miles on it when I first got the car it had about 60,000 miles on it. So I've driven the hell out of this car, 2 months after I got the car I had to change the alternator a couple times in a row no biggie my mechanic has a 1 year warranty, so I only had to pay for one. I've had the same alternator for 2 years no problems what usually happens is that the wiring or the regulator goes out. As for "unsporty" acceleration blame that on the stock air box/filter and the CD4E transmission (if you have auto the manual is way better if you know your optimal shift points.) I have put a K&N cold air intake performance spark plugs/wires and reflashed my PCM. And I'm still not done with her yet and she already pulls 10 times better than when she was stock (maybe a hyperbole ;) a little.) The body is still stock and I always get compliments people think it's a Jaguar sometimes. The car handles fantastic because of it's wide wheel base and touring multi link independent suspension agile like the cat it's named after. Interior looks a bit cheap but there are ways to fix that. Steering is a bit heavier than other cars but it's because of the Euro steering styling which I'd prefer over any other because I can "feel the road" so to speak, and since it is FWD you will feel torque steer (better around turns.) I've had a lot of close calls with accidents because of idiots on the road. It is definitely a car that you can drive and have fun as long as you take care of and it will take care of you!!

Great car good on gas?

BH, 07/30/2017
V6 2dr Coupe

I would buy another one!"

12345...23