Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Consumer Reviews

Used SL-Class for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...15

Pros
Cons

Beautiful car flawed by engine noise

JohnDP, 10/23/2004
SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Probably the best-looking car Mercedes has ever made. The retractable hardtop is fabulous and should be copied by all convertible car makers. It is however seriously marred by two major flaws. The engine pings as if it is running on low-octane gas all the time. (I use 91 ). Going uphill with a passenger it sounds like diesel sometimes. For a car this expensive, it ought to run much smoother than that. Spoils the otherwise perfect ride. Mercedes tells me they all do it, its not a repairable item. Also, the controls are very badly designed. You better keep the manual with you at all times or be a computer engineer.

SL 500

F Scheckton, 01/28/2006
SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Geat body style and excellent handling. It would be helpful if the trunk were an inch wider and deeper to accomodate two golf bags. Averaging 21.5 mpg. Negatives: Command system reliability. Navagation and sound system occasionally malfunctions. Sound system not up to par for a $100,000 vehicle. No fade control on sound system.

Great to buy used

rlovelace1, 06/17/2011
SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I purchased my SL55 AMG in Feb of 2010. The bad... had to repair air suspension on front and back. The good... MB significantly reduced the cost of the repair. The excitement of most new car purchases ware off in a month or so. Not this car. I look forward to driving this car every day. Performance is very good, looks are great with top up or down. I can't belive how well it handles based on the weight being over 4,300 lbs. It goes where ever you point it with plenty of power on tap. It is a shame this care does not come with a license to speed. Pay the extra cost for the AMG. It is definately worth it.

Love It!!!

ChitownSL55, 12/31/2009
SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I bought this car because I wanted a toy. Something to drive on nice days with the top down. The car is beautiful. People stop me all the time to tell me what a nice car it is. It looks great weather the top is up or down. I don't really get to open it up because here in Chicago there is always too much traffic but I have driven it late at night and the car is a rocket. It sounds great when you start it and press on the gas and heads will turn to look where the roar is coming from.

SL600

Bernie Doran, 06/04/2009
SL600 2dr Convertible (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

This is a great car and my second SL, the other is an 1994 SL500 and it is also a great car. the difference in eleven years is astounding. the 05 has every available option except heated steering wheel, it was a CA car. amazed at the MPG on freeway, went to Cleveland a week ago, about 100 mi with 90 on I71, the goofy thing indicated 24.6 MPG!! used the distronic, I thought that would be joke, nope, it is great touched the brake/throttle once in 90 freeway miles. speed was set at 70(this is Ohio)we have a unique way of collecting road tax here. The push in the seat is addictive, another 100 hp would not make much difference, would be interesting to see another 400 hp.

12345...15