Used 1999 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

Pure joy
By D.m.

1999 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

I have owned a lot of luxury cars but the SL tops them all. This car is everything you may want it to be and more. A roadster in a class of its own.

Classic Mercedes SL500 Still a Great Value
By mike collier

1999 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

The r129 chassis is considered by many to be the entry for Mercedes into the new age of computer assisted design. Coupled with engineering excellence this model has outstanding comfort, roadholding, safety and looks. Advances in technology have produced more powerful models and styling has changed but the r129 offers superb value when you consider that a low-mileage $100,000 automobile (and that's 1999 dollars!) can be had for less than $10,000. A very capable grand tourer.

Classic Roadster
By tallyho3

1999 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

I bought the SL 500 with 32K miles.The car has lots of sex appeal.It is fun to drive and the handling is amazing.I bought the car on E-Bay.The seller under promised and over delivered.The car is all original and the owner had all up to date records.The car draws a lot of smiles of approval.I can see the car as a true classic and the resale potential for price appreciation is definitely there.On a scale of 1-10 it's a 91/2.Drive one and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Spoiled Rotten
By Spoiled Rotten!

1999 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

I saw it sitting in the dealership waiting for me to buy it! I did!! Best deal and amazing car to drive. It's response is great, well brakes could use some help. It's made up with the intant brake lock when it picks up you want brake NOW. Love It!! Everything will recommend it and I'm planning to upgrade soon to the new version.

Love it's sporty look, OMG it's gas mileage sort of stinks but I drove it from napa to Bakersfield and still surprisingly had half a tank. It's a jewel.

Maintance charges are excessively priced. Yet I get pampered when I take my baby for it's routine check ups.

Better MPG than you think
By Robert Robinson

1999 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

I fell in love with my first SL as a twelve year old, when I saw the most beautiful champagne 450SL in a showroom for seventeen thousand dollars. As midlife approached I was able to afford a used 1999 SL500. I have driven over 50,000 trouble free miles and have consistently averaged over 20 miles per gallon. I believe the 129 model(90-01) is the least expensive to own from the perspective of a Mercedes-Benz mechanic.

Heated seats and Residual Heating(REST) after shutting off the engine.