2015 Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class Diesel Consumer Reviews - 2 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class Diesel - Consumer Reviews

GLK250 BlueTEC 4MATIC 2.1L 4-cyl. Twin-turbo Diesel AWD 7-speed Automatic - (2 reviews )

My little run around SUV
By Donna Brazill

2015 Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class Diesel GLK250 BlueTEC 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.1L 4cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

I love the size of this vehicle! I spend thousands of miles on the road in my car each year and I feel safe and comfy in this car like SUV. My husband loves to drive it! Its diesel and I have (after 16k) miles been averaging 37-45 miles per gallon. The seats are still pretty firm and hard, and after 26k miles still not as comfy as I had hoped. The navigation system is not very intuitive and a bit cumbersome to operate...time consuming actually. I do not live in the city so once I go off a paved road its essentially useless to me. This is a huge problem in rural areas. Had I known this prior to purchase I would not have bought this car. You must be stopped to enter data which can be a problem if you're already lost in a dicey area! In rural areas where I frequently travel, the turn by turn directions are non-existent. Diesel engine is quite a bit noisier than Toureg Diesel I previously owned. I have not been able to get the voice command training working so I can accept calls or enter directions verbally. Overall, this is a nice car and perfect for my needs, very responsive on curvy roads and mountains. Not terribly sure footed in heavy snow. Lots of light, large windshield and sunroof. The rear seats lay down nicely for larger cargo area and perfect for taking dogs along. Nice visibility overall. I am kind of surprised that I need new brakes already as my other cars went many more miles before needing any attention.

Solid little trucklette
By 633ca

I wanted a vehicle that was small enough to fit in my garage, has strong towing capability for its size, can handle snow and some dirt roads. The GLK250 was at the high end of the price range I was considering, but the build quality reflects the price. Great seats, great engine, great transmission. Minus points: Small cargo area (but if the vehicle was longer it wouldn't fit in my garage). Upright windshield results in a bit of wind noise. Handling feels "heavy" at first but you get used to it and at German-type highway speeds (above 80 mph) it seems tuned just right.

I average 32 to 33 mpg in combined city/highway driving. Diesel engine has great pulling power. Towed a 2500 pound glider trailer from California to Idaho and back and it pulled up mountain grades on Interstate 80 at 65 mph in 7th gear. Also averaged over 30 mpg while towing.

Something to reduce wind noise around the A pillars. Add vortex generators? NAV system is OK, but not great. Google maps on my phone does a better job.