Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class Consumer Reviews

G500 5.0L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (38 reviews )

15 year review
By Alprazo

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class G500 4WD SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Drives like a very heavy and strongly build military vehicle. The weight is easily noticed. Appearance of the car has not aged. Excellent paint, hinges with no rust, under carriage with no structural rust. Garage kept but mainly used during inclement winter weather on the salt soaked roads of the Notheast. Gobbles gas. Acceleration is impressive for a car with this weight. It has had glitchy electrical problem that the dealership has not been able to identify. Not a comfortable drive. Tight suspension as expected for an off road design.

hot
By Brad Danis

LOVE LOVE LOVE OUR G
By Greg Smith

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class G500 4WD SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

We love our G-wagen. They stay classic and hold their value like no other vehicle. Our 2002 looks almost exactly like the brand new ones. It drives fantastic and our mechanical costs have been quite minimal considering it has over 170,000 miles. Please, repairs for this vehicle are pretty straight forward and therefore labor costs stay low. We love the heated rear seats and the huge cargo area. We couldn't ask for a safer vehicle for our family. We get so many compliments every time we drive it and people are constantly asking us if they can look at the inside. We plan on keeping our G500 forever and just fixing it as we need to. There's not another car out there that we like better. There are several G-wagen owner websites and they all say the same thing- these are the coolest and best SUVs out there and are timeless classics!

Amazing
By jlmak

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class G500 4WD SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned my 2002 for 7 years. It's been amazing. It's a truck. Drives like a truck. It is not an Escalade or some floaty phony SUV. That's why i love it.

After a massive blizzard a few years ago (nearly 5ft of snow), my father was stuck on the side of road about 45 miles from my home. Trapped in his car with no way of getting assistance (the cops and fire couldn't respond) I drove out to get him. I made fresh tracks on Interstate 95 and numerous side roads the whole way. Never even had to lock the diffs. The truck performed amazingly. It was unreal. 100+ miles in 3-5ft of snow the whole way and the thing didn't bat an eye.

Also didn't even have to shovel myself out.

A Tank
By mangliyo

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class G500 4WD SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

No Question, this vehicle is not for everybody. It's rough, strong, and at the same time a beautiful piece of art. Even though MPG is very low that doesn't keep me from driving it daily.

Feels like a M1A2 tank. When driving it, it gives you the feeling of being invincible. My favorite thing is that the body style has not change over the past 10 years. Why change it if... it is perfect the way it is?

None.