Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel Consumer Reviews

E320 CDI 3.2L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Automatic - (66 reviews )

This was a LEMON.
By John Meyer MD

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Right from the purchase this was a problem car. The entire fuel system ( diesel ) had to be replaced, a warranty item. Then the front ball joints had to be replaced. This happened twice. This vehicle had fancy seat controls all of which FAILED. Brakes were bad and had to be fixed. The fuel injectors ( diesel ) failed and required THREE REPLACEMENTS. Yes, the almighty Mercedes Benz can still makes lemons. And I met people who had similar issues.

I would drive this into the afterlife if I could
By R. Ishkanian

Go for the mechanical beauty of the naturally balanced Inline 6 with the iron block. At 18:1 compression it will outlast subsequent aluminum versions. Use Power Source Diesel Kleen once in a while and keep the injectors clean and lubricated. I have had my 2006 CDI for 145,000 miles and would not part with it EVER. I have driven 1,300 miles in one sitting (several times) and felt great afterwards. MPG is best with the right tires. I had Michelins and could easily get 40 mpg. Switched to other brands and it was a little harder to get that level of MPG. The car is VERY solid and well built. Get clear impact film for the driving lights to protect them from rocks. The rear seat is a little awkward to get out of. The cloth door jambs have worn a bit on the driver's side. Great stability. I upgraded the headlight bulbs to Phillips brightest and it was a great improvement. Suggestion for MBZ, let us adjust the high and low beams individually not as one set. Honestly I would put this against any other car for comfort, performance, efficiency and longevity.

My cdi
By Kathy ryan

Best car I ever owned

Most Fun to Drive (Still is.)
By ccelpjack

The 2005 E320 CDI is the most fun to drive car that I've ever owned in my short 70 years. This car was made to be driven and driven hard! I've owned four Mercedes vehicles-1 gas and 3 diesels and the 2005 E320 CDI is the fastest and nearly has the most torque of the three. I absolutely love to drive this car. It literally is as solid as a rock. It tracks down the highway like an arrow and when I pass a semi at highway speeds (or a little more) it doesn't waver one single millimeter. I sometimes take it out on the Interstate and drive it just for the fun of it. I LOVE THIS CAR!

A Great Ride So Far
By benz_man

We bought our 05 CDI with 48K on it 1 year ago tomorrow so I thought this would be a good time to right a review since I came here to read a bunch before I bought it.
This car is a joy to drive and has been nothing but great for us. We downsized from an 07 Suburban because we really didn't need the room anymore and the Suburban is hard to give up if you've ever driven one.
Great mileage, pretty much 28 in town and 35-37ish highway. This car feels safe, drives great, is quiet and has been bulletproof.
I had one service issue, a door lock problem. The extended warranty covered it for 100 bucks.
Drive one and put your foot into it.
The diesel torque will put a smile on your face, I promise.

Style, this car looks like a 2012 even though its 8 years old. Torque. The diesel is amazing. I'm telling you, it will bring a smile to your face and your still getting 35 MPG. Try that in a gasoline car. Solid feel. This car is heavy and you feel like secure in it. Back seat has plenty of room for 2. Mileage, this car saves us a ton at the pump. Seat heaters heat up in seconds. Trunk space is huge. Oil filter is so easy to change. Takes 2 minutes and is right on top. I do my own oil. I did buy a pump to change oil instead of taking covers off and draining it. Filters are not expensive at the dealership. I buy Mobil 1 at the auto parts store.

Cant really think of too much to improve. I guess the Sat radio is kind of quirky sometimes. Maybe the door jams could be polished stainless or something like that because getting in and out your shows tend to mark the fabric up. The switches in the visors to turn on the light when you open the mirror are kind of cheap. I had to replace the passenger one but it was only 5 bucks at the dealership.