2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

To much FUN!
By Steve C

2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This has got to be the most UNDER-priced sports car every built! For what you pay for a LOADED , top of the line Miata- it’s half what other true sports car sell for! I smile every time I drive it, I invent a reason to drive. I feel like a kid again. Excitement👍💥

Ton of fun (but but there are compromises)
By Tim S

2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have the club version in Soul Red with the Brembo, BBS package. This car is everything you think it will be. It's quick but not fast. Handles very well but a little too much body roll in the curves. Brakes are excellent. Styling looks great but has too much gap above the wheels. Sound is ok for a 4 cylinder but doesn't sound like a sports car. Quality seems reasonable, but the paint chips really easily. I like the car and am enjoying it (especially on those sunny Tennessee days) but it could be so much better with a few changes.

Better than my MGB's ever were.
By Carl Brygger

2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I do hope someone reads what I have to say about this sports car. Yes, it's a honest sports car, one that I thought would never live up to the word "Sports Car", but absolutely did it for me. I'm a lot older these days and not really looking for what I was interested in back in the 1960's as far as foreign sports cars go. I was young and had all the quick thinking reflexes back then. I owned 2 MGB's, a 1964 and a 1966 and ran the hell out of both of them. No, I didn't buy the 2016 Mazda Club for all that excitement, I bought the car due to the total feeling I received from a test drive I went on one day a few years ago. I made the mistake of buying the automatic transmission. Don't do that!!! If you've ever owned a real sports car in your life, get the manual trans. and you'll never regret it. I can't wait to drive the damn thing each and every day. Only GOD knows exactly how much I appreciate what Mazda has done for the sportscar world.

Max-5...the last true "affordable" sports car
By Dan Wells

2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I recently purchased a slightly used (1700 miles) MX-5 GT in Soul Red with black leather. I have owned 40+ cars in my life and the Miatas and Honda S2000s I've owned have been the most fun. The MX-5 is beautiful to look at and a hoot to drive, even with the automatic. It's hard to imagine a more fun car to drive. Before purchasing it I test drove a 2009 Porsche Cayman S and can honestly say I like driving the Miata more. It's like an eager puppy wanting you to play with it all the time. The Porsche is fairly pedestrian as were my 4 S2000s until you find a curvy road or nail the accelerator whereas the Mazda is fun at any speed on any road. This is my 3rd Miata and expect it to be as reliable as the others. I'm 6' and 210lbs. and I fit fine. It is more comfortable than all the aforementioned cars...and I'm 66 years old. If your thinking of buying a sports car you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't test drive this car. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Best car I have owned!!!!!!
By Gauchegaucho

2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Briefly I have owned a 2000 Miata Club... I couldn't forget that "fun" experience with this car so I traded in my 2016 Camaro SS and sold my 2002 BMW M3 and got a Soul Red 17 Miata club (non BBS/Brembo pck)... i am in absolute love with this car. Yes, it's cramped inside but everything is laid out well, infotainment system is easy to use and nothing looks tacky or ugly in the cabin. Seats can be a bit uncomfortable and the cargo space is pretty much absent. But that's not why you drive this car... you drive this car because you enjoy driving. And with the top town that can be operated within 5 seconds!!!! It's a pure pleasure to be able to drive as enthusiastically and still stay within speed limit and stay out of trouble. You can take any corner anytime with full intention, the more you drive this car the more you will fall in love with.. i recommend installing anti-roll bars for reducing notorious body roll and lower the car a bit for better handling (and looks!) Those are the only 2 mods I think will transform this car into a better handling car.