Used 2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

The perfect beach toy
By Mark Richardson

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Love our Miata - exceeding expectations for a 16 year old vehicle - cute - sharp - fun to drive

The quality answer to old British Roadsters
By Den Socling

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2002 Miata with 77,000 miles. It has a couple packages that added a LSD, A/C, cruise control, keyless entry, mud guards and more. It has been flawless and I love to drive it. It is now spring time and every sunny day the top goes down and my wife and I head for a twisty country road. I have bought just about every spare part I ever read about failing at a Miata formum. Prices are very low and I have never need any.

Best Roadster.
By Rog

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible SE 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I was tired of the ho hum experience of the past 40 yrs of the typical everyday cars, having grown up will cars that can lay rubber for 3 blocks and blow your mind in the quarter....family van's, company cars, rentals...yaaawwwnnn. So when the last kid was driving their own car..I bought a used Masda Mx 5 six speed roadster two years ago and absolutely love to drive again..It gets great gas mileage (much better than reported) and that is on two lane mountain roads.. Takes corners like my old Triumph cafe racer and can handle speeds over 120 without a hitch. Snow is no problem either with the M&S tires for winter driving..Went over Monarch pass last year in a blizzard. ..it has a higher ground clearance than expected, but do need to watch those big speed bumps..No mechanical issues to date. I would definitely buy another one....

Not just a girls car... Street Legal GoKart!!!
By thewheelman1

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata for about a year now but have been racing miatas for about 5 years now and i would recommend these cars to anyone who wants a car you will never be bored of driving, outstanding reliability, the handling is matched with that of $100,000 cars, I have personally seen miatas smoke Z06 corvettes and Ferrari by half a mile on the road course, and by whole seconds on the Auto-X course. These little cars receive little respect from muscle car owners, but the real drivers car owners (ie. Porsche, Lotus, Aston Martin) they know whats up... As a daily driver, midlife crisis car, or a professional racecar the miata will always come through.

Gorgeous body lines, it looks like a $80,000 Italian sports car and turns heads like such. The handling is the #1 feature of these cars, its what they are built to do. Bose premium stereo is awesome and even after 10 years still crystal clear.

More factory Horse Power, Factory HID headlamps, more aggressive exhaust note, larger factory brakes with ventilated discs, no more perforated vinyl seat bottoms, (prone to splitting)

Couldn't Ask For More
By Steve

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible SE 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Had it a little over 2 weeks now. It is my daily driver and I couldn't ask for more. I'm a pilot so the interior is well suited for me. Just a short reach for everything I need and the seats are very comfortable. BTW, I'm 6"1'. Yes, driving it is a pure joy. For a short time I drove it on an interstate and keeping up with everyone at 80 then 100 it was rock solid. I thought it was be shaking and moving all over the place. Mine is a 6 speed and I don't rev the engine much past 4,000 between shifts yet get 25 MPG. Kinda surprised at it being that low but it's a small price to pay for this much fun. It still looks brand new and I catch people looking at it all time. Very cool.

Interior layout and unique SE interior. Comfortable seats. Of course driving it. Titanium grey metallic paint is still flawless and looks a mile deep.

I think it's just the way the car is setup but was surprised at only 25MPG. Have a much larger 4 cylinder Isuzu that gets 25MPG. I am being picky here cause it's hard to find something I think needs improvement.