Used 2004 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews

$3,695

Used MPV for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Bought new in 2004, now has 245,000 miles

kaiserdr, 07/01/2015
LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I rarely give anything five stars but the service I have had on this vehicle deserves it. I bought my MPV brand new from the dealer and only had routine problems. My vehicle is approaching 245,000 miles and runs perfectly. We have maintained the exterior and interior of this vehicle. I was recently at the dealer to have the air-bag replaced and a mechanic there said several owners bring their MPVs in for maintenance and have more than 250,000 miles on them. The only unexpected failure I had on this vehicle was 2016 when the sunroof leaked ($100 repair) and the power driver's seat failed. 2018 Update: This vehicle now has 215,000 miles. The vehicle overheated in 2017 due to a radiator failure. Note, a local mechanic tried to rip-me-off, wanted $1,200 for a radiator from Mazda and suggested it might need other parts and a head gasket. I replaced the entire cooling system with re-manufactured parts from JC Whitney for $200 and a local mechanic installed them for $200--it has now run another 30,000 miles with no problem. 2020 update: This vehicle now has 245,000 miles. I got a notice from Mazda last week saying that although they already replaced the air bags, they need to do more work on them. Have to call the dealer and make an appointment.

Great, but need some help

Sm00ve, 10/15/2009

My van is my baby (I loves my dog [Wuff]). The biggest problem I have is that I can't find a maintenance manual for the body. She's at 100K miles, but I can't change the rear brakes because I can't adjust them out far enough to accommodate new shoes (they're pretty tricky for rear disc brakes). Other than that, she's great. I even figured out how to change the spark plugs without having to drop the main harness or the engine (not the easiest thing to do, but it's doable).

Multiple problems with coils in engine

Lorf, 11/16/2010

Bought the vehicle used in 2008 with about 40,000 miles. Loved it at first, rode smoothly, feels like a car, looks great for a minivan and love that the sliding door windows roll down. Fast forward to about 75,000 miles. The first engine coil goes. 90,000 two more blow. Now at 101,000 miles, the 4th coil is being replaced tomorrow. There is a design defect in the coil placement in this MPV that allows water to enter the coils, and shorten the live considerably. Some other little things here and there, but the engine is the big issue. Trading it in for a more reliable vehicle right after the repair is done.

Stay away from the 2004 Mazda MPV

rvgray13, 06/30/2015
ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van used from a dealer. It didn't have a lot of miles on it (less than 50K, I think). It has been nothing but problems, coil packs go out regularly (I've replaced at least 6 times), shift shock, front end control arms, hub bearings, tie rods. Terrible gas mileage. I have contacted Mazda corporate several times and they pretend they haven't heard of the issues. Funny how the complaints are all over the web. I think the transmission just went out and I am leaning towards junking it and getting else.

Best mini van I ever owened!

emsoccermom, 09/18/2012

I bought this all most new it had 6000 miles on it. I have 230,000 miles on it. The miles were split between stop and go and highway miles. I have only had minor things brake like the drivers side window motor. I have had nothing mojor, knock on wood.

91K and need new engine

L Reynolds, 07/24/2010

The 2004 Mazda MPV was reliable until about 65K when I started having trouble with numerous ignition coils. The last straw was last week - replaced all three rear coils - #3 kept misfiring and dealership recommended to replace them all. Then ck eng. light came on again and they cleaned fuel injectors. Light came on again, they turned it off because it said #3 coil again and it was just replaced. Last Friday started and it shook like a go cart - had it towed - now I am told the engine is blown. They want $7K to replace and $3300 for a rebuilt with 1 yr warranty. So frustrating - used to love this van but now am afraid of all its problems - don't know whether to fix - worth $500. now!

Loved this Van

rose74, 01/17/2013

I never had much wrong with my mazda mpv. I drove it for almost 8 yrs. It only had alittle over 100,000 miles on it. I replaced all my coil packs, vacum hose, and brakes. it ran as smoothe as it did the day I bought it. I was in an accident and they totaled it. I looked for another one but none close to me. I like my other van now but miss my Mazda Alot.

Great scores but.....

PatrickInAlabama, 02/03/2010

The issue is once we approached 5 years/80K miles, the engine light came on. It's been downhill ever since. After 8 visits to 5 different shops including the dealer, we paid $3K to fix the catalytic converter. The final straw is 1 day after forking over $3,000, the light comes on again and the transmission shifts all over the place. The dealer has no clue. If you ever are told you have to replace the catalytic converter ....don't. Time to go shopping. We were told we need to spend another $300 for some assembly and the guy wasn't sure this would fix the problem.

7 seater Sport-Car !!!

Raymond Wong, 09/15/2003

Got my mpv two days ago. It's accleration surprised me. Also, the 7 seater effortlessly zoomed uphill, it also stopped with precision since the ABS and electronic brake force distribution helped tremendrously. The handling is top-notch in the minivan category. The look of the GFX package is handsome. A must-have minivan for fun driving.

2004 Mazda MPV - only get the rare ES!!

Tyler, 11/25/2007

I had a 2003 MPV LX and loved it but then I decided to go for some new technology like the 2004 has. I looked at Odyssey and Sienna but they are really too bulky and wide which makes them unsafe to manuever out of someone's way. I loved the 2004 MPV (the new body style) but had to order an ES. ESes are very rare since they are the top model and I also wanted all the options and packages, DVD, sport package - very rare, sunroof.

Worst product ever presented

Gabriel, 11/11/2009

My wife and I purchased this vehicle roughly two years ago. This vehicle has been in the shop 6 times since we purchased it. It has a broken catalytic converter, bad fuel injectors, bad wheel bearing, bad water pump, bad transmission, bad transmission mounts, bad engine mounts. This list goes on and on. We've put over $8000 in this car that isn't even worth $3000. It has been the worst investment that we've ever made in our 24 years of existence. I hope that they're able to remedy these problems because I can't believe that these cars are even on the road.

Transmission quirks

Dee A., 01/10/2005

Van is excellent except for the transmission. It jerks shifting from 2nd to 3rd especially on a stop and go traffic. Brakes are noisy first thing in the morning, disappears after it warms up. Had the TCM reflashed 3 times to correct the transmission jerk to no avail until second dealer replaced it with a brand new TCM. Still jerks a little bit but not as pronounced. Have to learn to live with it. But will go back to Toyota or Honda next time.

Don't buy Mazda

NOtoMAZDA, 06/12/2004

Purchased my minivan in '03, after researching several makes I thought the reviews for Mazda gave the impression it was a reliable Japanese quality minivan, was I wrong. After shelling out over $32000 with the Mazda assurance plan that it will provide a free loaner vehicle for warranty work, they make a real inconvience to get one and hit you with a copay. Warranty work is not done the 1st time and if they work on more it more than twice you are responsible for paying the warranty work not Mazda. I still have defects that were never fixed. Looking for new vehicle, it won't be a Mazda!!

Good Quality

Edco, 11/02/2006

Overall the MPV is good quality but a very hard ride. Having struts instead of shocks makes a big difference in the ride. I get only 21mpg on the road and about 17 in town. The short wheel base also contributes to the harder ride. On a 10 scale I would give the MPV a 7

Best Minivan for the money!

David Link, 03/24/2007

This has been a rock solid minivan. The car has performed wonderfully without even the slightest repair. We have enjoyed the front wheel drive and traction control as it's handling has been great in the snow and ice. The van has been terrific on trips and is comfortable enough to drive from Washington DC to Orlando Florida in a non-stop drive with the children. Ours is equipped with the factory DVD option so that helps on those 15 hour drives. Overall we love this van and it has been very reliable!

Great Van

Chris, 06/24/2008

I have over 65k miles on my van now and still love it. Yes the gear shift lever is in a bad place and can easily be knocked out of gear but overall I am greatly satisfied. The only problem we have had so far is the coil packs are prone to go out which can leave you stranded (happened to us). Fits my family of 4 just fine with room in the back for all our stuff.

Mazda MPV - foreign car driving

Konrad, 12/03/2003

This van drives and handles like a car. Very good acceleration and feeling of roominess inspite of smaller size gives you confidence that its size is just right. You simply do not need more.

Need to check this gem out!

cal_mpv, 06/18/2004

compared to the Toyota Sienna this minivan is the best bargain for the money, easy and really fun to drive, and has enough room for a family of four. The ES trim has everything the Toyota and Honda has for much less. You need to check out this minivan if your shopping for a great family vehicle

Poor

Unhappy customer, 07/06/2004

Horrible gas milage. I drive slow and easy, and went through gas like it was water. Bought it bacause of the supposed great gas milage. My Ford F250 4x4 gets 10 times better fuel milage. Very poor mini van. Sold it a few months after I bought it.

Great First Van

Ike, 04/01/2009

I always hated vans, but as a father, I had to give in. I got rid of my "grampa-style" sedan and my 4x4 truck and got one family vehicle. I debated between an SUV and a Minivan, today I drive the MPV. Granted I miss my comfy seats sedan and its leather seats, sub-woofer, moon-roof, etc., but I'm impressed by this van. It was well thought out. The variable seating configuration is amazing. I added Limo Tint and a rooftop LCD and we even go sit in the back seat, eat dinner and watch a movie inside the van. It drives and handles very well. I just wish the driver seat was a lot more comfortable, its too hard and too short.

Best vehicle I've ever owned

Zak, 03/31/2009

Our 2004 MPV has been by far the best vehicle I have ever owned, and I've had a LOT of vehicles. We've owned this for over 4 years and it now has 105,000 miles. Great fuel mileage, 29 on the highway, very reliable and I still like the styling for a minivan. Interior is a bit small for a van but makes up for it in styling and fuel mileage. I have 3 children, ages 6 and under and we use this vehicle everyday, from short trips taking the oldest to school to LONG road trips to places like Maine and Disney World (We live in PA so it is a long drive to either). We had a few odd issues while under warranty but since then only issues have been parts that were due to be replaced, like coils etc.

Rust problem

Sid, 01/05/2008

Very disappointed. We bought the van in 2005. The van was left over from 2004 model year. We discovered the car has rust in the hatch back area and in the passenger under the door. The car still under warranty. The dealer just informed me that they will be fixing the rust, but I will never buy another Mazda. My Toyota Camry is 10 years old and it does not have any rust. Planning to sell it after dealer fixes it.

A Really Nice Van

Ron, 10/28/2010

We love this van. However we did have to replace the catalytic converter at about 74,000 miles (covered under mfg. warranty). Also, had a water problem. After a rain we opened both side doors and water came gushing out. None on the carpet. Just on the running boards. Took it back to dealership. They said some flaps under the van were not fastened properly. No problems since. Don't like the shifter where it is.

Reliable, good value, fun, but smallish

Bartman, 12/05/2004

Replacing 8-yr old Grand Caravan. After months of research, considered and compared Sienna & MPV as two most reliable alternatives. Didn't consider Odyssey - too many transmission failures (although some MPV owners had transmission shift-shock issue; now resolved with updated transmission software flash). I preferred larger size of Sienna; even bigger than Grand Caravan. But price was definitely an issue and wife preferred smaller size, maneuverability, handling, and looks of MPV. For less money, MPV ES also has more standard features than Sienna LE: leather, 6-disc in-dash CD changer, 2 power sliding doors, and alloys. If you have a smaller family and smaller size is OK, then recommend MPV.

good-looking, nice-handling, my baby!

Whitney Ru, 10/14/2003

I am a female driver and I look at cars in parking lots. I can't figure out that I drive any cars too big (like Expedition) or too small (like Honda Civic). I love the size, cute look, features, power and handling of the MPV of Mazda. I got it at very good deal with zero percent financing.

The best Minivan!!

ehdesi, 10/15/2003

Just purchased this loaded EX for $27K!!!! Other minivans we were interested in: Toyota Sienna 04 (have to wait 4 months and pay $34K) and Chrysler T&C limited 03 (we had a Dodge for 6 years). The MPV just felt right, smaller size, more nible handling, stylish (with GFX package), kids love it (6 & 9). Everyone has commented on it-saying how great it looks. You cannot go wrong here!!

mazda mpv

dak, 11/03/2003

A great family van that stands out from the crowd. Turns heads with its style, like an Infiniti or BMW, but its as affordable as a KIA. Have found it to be much more reliable than the Chrysler vans and the ride is smooth and agile. Truly fun to drive given the pleasure of driving around a pack of kids.

Great Bang for the Buck

tlauro, 11/17/2003

Our MPV has been great. We saw it as the best blend of performance, handling, styling and utility available for the money. The only issues thus far have been a 'jerking' in the transmission on occasion. My understanding is that Mazda is aware and that there is a fix. We just have to bring it in. Overall, no major complaints. Build quality is excellent. No rattles or squeaks even!

ZOOOM ZOOM Zooom

Ichibon, 11/14/2003

The Vehicle Is Tight"" No Rattles. Has Wondeful Road Feel. Shifts A Little Iffy When starting Out In O/D. Drove It From NYC Brooklyn, To Las Vegas NV.{Brand New 4 Miles On Odometer} Drivers Seat a Little Pain On Right Hip While Driving, Possibly Seat And Seat Belt Position. {Drove On Average 800 Miles Per Day}

Excellent minivan

TDB, 05/17/2005

Purchased this '04 about a month ago. Have put 2000 miles on with a recent 1000 mile trip. Good comfort for all 5 passengers. Averaged 23.5 mpg fully loaded with roof cargo carrier in place. This was at speeds between 70-75 mph in some headwinds on the return trip. A more refined van than our Grand Caravan; it does have a little less interior space. Excellent drivetrain and much better ride and interior noise levels. The fold into the floor rear seat is great.

Just Love my New MPV!!

George F, 12/07/2003

An excellent value, the added Sports Package lends to a less "Soccer- Mommish" appearance. Great handling, the smoothest ride, seven passengers very comfortably. Removable second row bucket seats and fold down third row seat are fantastic, makes for an easy transition. Plenty of cargo room, not notably less roomier than competitors which I have rented in the past. Sleek interior with great sound system and 6 CD player. Overall a real delight so far, and the dealership bent over backwards for me. Great price and a great value, someone actually asked me the other day, "Would you mind moving your silver Mercedes??", and I answered, that "M" stands for Mazda!!

Love the Zoom-Zoom of this Minivan

Ary Arifin, 12/15/2003

When I first heard the term "Body of a Minivan, Soul of a Sports Car" I was quite sceptical, 'til I test drove it. I tried the Sienna and Oddysey, but the MPV really had the bargain I was looking for. For the price of a somewhat "middle class" Sienna, I can get an MPV that's fully loaded, and I mean the works,leather, traction ctrl, sunroof.. everything! Handling is awesome. The V6 is strong & it's as zippy as my Golf GTI, but less problematic =). I found out that the MPV is the only minivan here today made in Japan (the rest are US made) it has great resale value too. Truly a sports car disguised as a minivan.

We Love It!!

NCPluckers, 12/18/2003

Our title says it all. We love this van! It is our first minivan and we were aprehensive about even getting one but the addition of our 4th child made it necessary. It drives like a car and is very comfortable on long trips. We just wish it came with a DVD/TV for the kids.

Large Family Loves it So Far

njmaryd, 07/21/2005

We bought '04 LX w/ 14k. 1 mo, 1500 miles later we are in love! No problem seating everyone and fitting all FOUR carseats. Nice alternative to bulky mini-vans that looks good and is affordable.

Best Van for the Buck!!!

Joe Ambrosio, 07/23/2005

We bought this Van for $21,000 from the dealer brand new. We looked at the Odyssey, and Sienna first but couldn't justify the cost of those other vans. The MPV is stylish and the power sliding doors always gets comments and looks from bystanders!It also handles like a car much better than a camry or an accord!!!I love my MPV!!!It's also not as cumbersome as the other vans this is good since the wife drives it most of the time and it fits in compact spaces.We used to have an SUV before this and that felt like a truck.I highly recommend this van if you have a small family.

great minivan, not so great engine.

migyride, 12/22/2003

I have the lx version with all kinds of upgrades.The van is well balanced as far as control and comfort are concerned.the one weakness of this van is the loud under-horse powered engine. the engine is adequate but thats about it. It growls and sounds like its always working too hard,also the gear shifter should be repositioned. Everything else about the van is an exceptionally superb deal.wish they had engine options, or a mazda built not ford built engine.

3rd Van I have owned and the best one.

patmario, 12/29/2003

Wonderful quite and smooth ride. Good overall interior design. Firm, very confortable driver's seat for long rides.

Great Van For the Value

mommyof3, 01/18/2004

My husband and I love this van! We have the ES model that has leather which is great for clean-ups w/the little ones. Drives very smoothly. Very fun to drive. 0% financing was also a great deal. Not as roomy as other vans, but works well enough for us.

The MPV works well with our family

tmra2ree, 01/19/2004

We bought our MPV to replace a 1994 Toyota Camry 7 passenger wagon. The MPV has been superior in every respect: comfort, handling, fuel economy, ease of ingress/egress, fun factor, etc. Our average mileage is 20-21 mpg in combination city/highway driving. So far, after nearly 15000 miles, the only visits to the dealership have been for scheduled maintenance.

Can't Beat a Mazada

Janice Burt, 01/24/2004

Ever since I got my MPV I feel in love with it. The features are all wonderful and Mazada is the only van I know that the dual sliding doors have roll down windows, this is a Mazada feature. I am impressed with everything about Mazada. I have never had any problems with any of my Mazada's and I have owned 7 Mazada's This van is number one to me. I think it should be number one to you. Thank you

Mazda MPV

Denise, Speech Ther., 01/24/2004

I love my MPV. It handles great, is narrow and easy to park and the fold down rear seat is extremely handy. I also like the regular roll down windows and the dual electric sliding doors. The price is also suprisingly low. I would recommend this van to anyone looking for convience, reliability and fun.

awesome to drive

arlene R, 01/24/2004

IT RIDE IS VERY SMOOTH, COMFORT INSIDE, LIKE THE BACK SIDE FITS VERY WELL, DVD PLAYER IS AWESOME FOR LONG ROAD TRIPS....

My MPV

triciaZZZZZZZZZZ, 01/24/2004

I love my MPV, it is not the largest of the minivans, but it is just the right size for my family.

love my Mazda minivan

cath, 01/24/2004

This is my 3rd Mazda Minivan and wouldn't have any other "brand". I love this van! I do lots of long trips with my dogs and we are all comfy and safe in this van.

MPV POOR VAN

NO MORE MPV, 01/24/2004

THIS IS THE WORST VAN I HAVE EVER BOUGHT.IT IS HORRIBLE IN SNOW AND LOOSES TRACTION ON 15 DEGREE UP HILLS.AS FAR AS FUEL ECON ,IT IS NOT WHAT THEY SAY ,ITS LESS.AND FORGET TOWING ,TOU MINE AS WELL TAKE A 20 GALLON RESERVE TANK BECAUSE YOU WILL NEED IT..THEY SHOULD HAVE KEPT IT 4 WHEEL DRIVE,FRONT WHEEL DRIVE IS POOR ON TRACTION AND IF IT RAINS ,HYDROPLAINING IS THE MAIN FACTOR.I HAD OWED 15,OOO.OO ON THE VAN AND FOUND OUT IT WAS WORTH 11,500.00,POOR RESALE AND DEPREC.RAPIDLLY.BUY SOMETHING ELSE THAT HOLDS VALUE.I RATE THIS VAN A TOTAL OF 3.

Jeff's review

Jeff W, 01/24/2004

It's a very competent minivan that's just the right size. It performs like a sedan and doesn't have that big feel at all. The MPV is a very good value, nice styling, and it's warrenty is the best out of the group.

My MPV

Barbara S., 01/24/2004

I bought my MPV (trading in a Camry) because I am actively competing in dog shows and needed a vehicle to transport the dogs in their crates. The enterior is comfortable and there is plenty of room for all the equipment, the exterior is pleasantly stylish, and the ride is amazingly smooth and powerful.I was surprised that there was much less body roll on tight turns as compared to the Camry. This is a great vehicle to drive!

Well Done!

Scott Hanlon, 01/24/2004

This is our 2nd MPV, we had the 2000 model. Our decision to stay with the Mazda product was because of the reliabilty of our previous van and the upgrades to the 2004 model. We had no problems with the 2000 model, only usual wear and tear and we averaged over 20k a year. The cost for the 2004 model was comparable to the other dealerships' vans, so we stayed with the Mazda family. We are not against the other dealerships, so there is no bias in our sale.

Meets Artist Needs

RBDB, 01/24/2004

A reliable MPV for transporting artist's materials to shows and galleries. Rear seat drops down for large works and the seats behind the driver can be removed

very happy

carole mays, 01/24/2004

I previously owned a Ford Windstar and was ready to update. I considered the Honda Odyssey but I preferred the slightly smaller size and more compact look of the MPV. Strangely enough, the smaller size seems to be the main criticism I have heard about the MPV,but I think it makes you feel less like you are driving a van. It is very nippy and has a lot of standard features considering the price-ie rear ac & remote mirrors. So far, I am very happy with it.

51050