Used 2016 Mazda CX-3 Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used CX-3 for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Fun to Drive, Not to Own

Amanda, 12/20/2018
Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned my Mazda CX-3 for a little over three years and have driven approximately 57,000 miles. When I first purchased the car I was driving approximately 40 miles a day, all highway. With that being said, I haven't needed to replace any tires yet and only had to replace my break pads (which weren't even ready for replacement) at around 54,000 miles. That is some solid value right there. Word to the wise - do not buy the navigation system from the dealership, you can easily get an SD card off Amazon (for $99) and have a fully equipped navigation system for a fraction of the price. All of Mazda's cars have the built in programming / setup for the navigation system. The car is small. Fuel tank is 10 gallons or so but there is a reserve gallon so I am constantly filling up, averaging 30 mpg (highway and city driving) but only having 9 gallons in the car is pretty tight. Plus side is that every time I fill my tank it only costs around $25. Further in regards to the car being so small, the only comfortable seats are the driver and passenger. The back seat feels like the 3rd row of a much larger vehicle and is fit for a small child. Going on a shopping spree? Trunk barely fits a carry-on suitcase. However, if you lay down the back seats, there's a little bit more room. My Hyundai Elantra or Civic had more trunk / passenger space than this "Crossover SUV". There isn't even a center console, just an arm rest that sits above the cupholders so if you have a beverage, you cannot rest your arm. As far as reliability, I do not commend Mazda on this. The A/C on my car went at around 25,000 miles (thankfully it was still covered under its warranty) and took at least 2 weeks to fix because the parts were not in. Around 14 months after, the A/C went again, this time not covered under warranty and was an almost $800 fix during the middle of a heatwave in August. There was a "Lift-Gate" recall on this car which Mazda fixed, free of charge, of course. However, after they fixed this there have been issues of water sitting in the door of the trunk which flooded the license plate lamp and blew it out. The lamp seems to be glued shut and neither myself or my body-shop/mechanic was able to replace, when mentioned to my local dealer, they just shrugged it off. There was issues with the condensation in the headlamps and most recently, engine issues, which is covered under PowerTrain Warranty, however, Mazda does not have the time or availability of rental cars to fix the engine in a timely manner. Driving this car is fun, but in terms of "big fixes," and cost of ownership, it's just not worth it. Maybe I got a lemon but it seems that for a new car there's been quite a few big problems and I could only imagine what would be coming down the pipeline the older the car gets. I am going to be trading it in for something more reliable and I'd recommend only getting this car if you are leasing it.

Cute car but not for us

Alan Onibus, 03/02/2019
Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

If this car would have been less noisy inside and without blind spots I would have bought it. It’s a such a good looking little car with great features. It was fun to drive and it gets good gas mileage too. It is probably a great car for a single person but considering the kids in back seat plus blind spots, it seemed like a poor choice. I also wished Mazda made the next trim level up that has blind spot monitoring with fabric seats. We ended up getting next the size up cx-5 and are loving it so far.

Love driving the Mazda CX3

DeYoung, 09/16/2015
Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

PROs: Fun, fun, fun to drive. It seems that you can almost think your way around corners. The car feels great on the road and is very responsive. The interior is very, very nice. The cabin is quiet (compared to the HRV and other similar cars I test drove) and has a very high quality feel. CONs: Cargo space is limited with the back seats up. (decent with the back seats down) I have only had the car a couple weeks but so far, I absolutely love it. I will update the review after driving it longer.

49k miles driven

Jim C., 12/24/2015
Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Great car, loaded with goodies The back seat room is tight as expected, If you don't like little footprints on the back of the front seats, then this car is not for you! Paint is too soft, chips easily. The only issue I have had is the radio/ Navigation. The system tends to reboot on its own from time to time when the USB ports are being used. Dealer could not reproduce the problem! (Repaired with firmware update.) Update: a/c condenser failed at 42k Mazda assisted in repair paying 1k for. $ 1400.00 job Rear bearing seal replaced under powertrain warranty.

Perfect as a city car

Analogthought, 01/16/2020
Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

After initially purchasing a Honda CR-V while living in Brooklyn New York and driving it around for a week, it quickly became apparent that finding parking for a vehicle that size coupled with the lower end MPG for city driving, that a different vehicle might be a better choice. I initially considered the Scion IA due to being drawn to the interior, but wanted something with more cargo room. This was how I stumbled onto the CX-3. After eight months of driving it and several long distance trips later, I can safely say that overall I really enjoy this car on many levels but definitely have had enough time to find the faults. As mentioned, the interior is something I really appreciate about this car. The seats offer decent comfort but lack lumbar support for long drives. The ability to adjust the height of the drivers seat helps to find the best position but at six feet tall, I still sometimes find myself feeling a little cramped with everything adjusted as far back as it will go. I own the sport model, so no arm rest is included. After some quick research I have found one can purchased online for around $125 and fairly easily self-installed, however after reading various reviews the cost doesn't seem worth it. I was initially concerned about blindspots through the small rear window as some have commented on, but I have yet to find any issues with that short of what's more expected with the blindspots being relegated to the sides of the vehicle. The standard back up camera included certainly helps with parallel parking and backing up in tight spaces while driving in the city. From the start I wasn't much of a fan of the Mazda Connect infotainment system. It works but felt dated and a little laggy in responsiveness. This was easily corrected by purchasing and installing the Apple CarPlay kit, something that some quick YouTube searching made much easier to do thanks to step by step instructions. The navigation that came with the vehicle works off of an SD card which seems to get updated annually via Mazda, so having the addition of Waze/Google Maps has been invaluable as I found there were several times that the built in Nav was behind in terms of street closures and route changes. In the hottest weather the AC takes approximately as long as in cold weather for the heat to get hot as it does to cool off. In both cases, expect to wait between 15 to 20 minutes. Nothing unbearable, but in extreme temps of either direction, I've found other vehicle to perform better. Exterior styling seems current enough to stay fresh for years to come, definitely impressed on that front. I will also add my opinion to the list of others that find the paint job on the exterior prone to scratching pretty easily. The only actual issues I have with this vehicle is leaking in the hatch with water collecting in the reverse light built into the hatch lid, something others have experienced as well it seems. Something to check out when considering buying one of these. My other issue is the lack of rear cargo space. First impressions was that it would be doable and fine, but while in use over the past 8 months, there have been several times it was just a bit smaller than I would have liked. Just purchasing groceries (for one) can fill up the rear space pretty quickly. Gas mileage has exceed expectations with it taking just over two full tanks of gas to drive from NYC to Atlanta. Each fill up currently costing around $28. The suspension could be a little softer and sometimes feels very rigid when going over potholes or bumps in the road. Acceleration when merging onto highways is fine, but be prepared to utilize the sport mode option. In the cooler weather, the windows tend to fog up pretty badly but nothing that the climate control system can't pretty quickly fix. Backseat space is tight but feedback from adult passengers on a longer drive was that it wasn't as bad as many others have mentioned. In looking for any other faults with this vehicle, the only other thing I can think of is the severe lack of storage in the front seating area. There are large door storage areas, two cup holders in the center and very small area under the built in CD player (too small to fit anything larger than the smallest iPhone). Do I love my car and am I happy with my purchase 8 months later, yes, absolutely. Does it have it's faults, yes, absolutely. Would I buy another one? Yes, but I think my next Mazda would be the CX-30 in looking for that extra bit of space on the interior.