Used 2016 Mazda CX-3 Consumer Reviews

Used CX-3 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...11

Pros
Cons

What it is --- and what its not

T, 01/08/2016
Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The CX-3 isn't for everyone, and I'm not sure whether it is properly classified or considered a "crossover"---whatever that means. I initially didn't give the CX-3 much thought because it is very compact. However, if you look more closely, this car---a subcompact hatchback---offers a lot of features and value for the dollar (especially Touring trim) if you don't regularly transport more than a couple of adults or much cargo. Its not going to win many drag races, but it handles well and is more fun to drive than any of the other AWD vehicles that I test drove (including the CX-5). It also isn't intended for off-road use (not many crossovers or SUVs are), but it has handled snow-packed dirt roads without any problems. I'm getting about 29 mpg in mostly city driving to this point. Again, the CX-3 isn't for everyone. If you want/need an AWD vehicle but don't need much room or off-road capability, take a look at this car and judge it for what it is. Update: I am now doing most of my driving to and from work on a freeway, and my car's fuel economy calculator is now reporting an average of 33.9 mpg for the life of the car. I've also recently had to drive through snow and slush: while this isn't suited to off-road driving, the AWD system works well and has gotten me through some rough conditions. However, I had to use tire chains once because the stock tires (which have worn well but now have almost 50,000 miles) lost traction going uphill on a slush-covered dirt road. This is, again, a small car with inherent limitations. If Mazda is listening, I wish that it had a little more length and a larger fuel tank.

Seriously Fun To Drive

Ing Beukert, 11/27/2015
Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I drove the new Honda CRV as well as the Mazda CX3 before buying a couple months ago. While the Honda had more interior storage space, there was no comparison with the driving experience. The CX3 rides smoother and is quieter and is just a sweet, sweet driving experience. Almost like you are part of the car. The interior finish is impeccable. Very stylish and not run of the mill.

SUV with sport car personality

robscx-3, 01/06/2016
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned the 2016 CX-3 for a couple of months now. I love it! It is the most fun to drive car that I have owned. (and over the years I have owned many). It is the most stylish sub compact SUV on the market, and the interior is upscale. The Bose sounds great...and the array of safety tech features is awesome. The only consideration is limited back seat space. Otherwise, a no brainer in comparison to its competitors....Especially if you love to drive.

Favorite car ever!

Michael Yanke, 02/18/2016
Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Originally I looked passed the CX-3 because I thought it didn't have enough power. After the salesman had me test drive one I was happily surprised at how peppy it felt. This car is so fun to drive. The handling is fantastic like a little go cart. I live in Minneapolis and had a great opportunity to try it out in the snow. The all wheel drive is amazing. I was able to plow though 6+ inches of snow up steep hills with no problem. If you have kids or need a lot of cargo space you may want to look at he CX-5.

My Little Soul Red CX-3 (rest in pieces)

Kirk, 02/04/2016
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I wish I could post of picture my mangled CX-3 after someone decided to run a stop sign and plow into another car, when then plowed into me, destroying my 3 week old car. I am 6'2" so being able to walk away from that accident is a testament to the car's crash worthiness despite it's size and low weight. Anywho, it is totaled and first thing I am doing is getting another one. Not because it saved me from serious injury, but because it is a great car (I traded a 2014 Audi A4 to get it). Pros: Very comfortable front seats and suede-like inserts keep them from being so cold in the winter. Speaking of which, the seat heaters are extremely toasty. I really like Mazda's entertainment system, but I just came out of an Audi whose MMI system is very similar. Wife states Bluetooth sounds very good. I drive a lot for my job and was averaging slightly more than 30mpg which is pretty remarkable for an AWD vehicle. Drove it briefly in this year's snow storm and it handled it fine. Not nearly as well as my wife's Grand Cherokee, but well enough. I love the size of this car, but it is likely too small for a family. To call this car a crossover is kind of silly as a Ford Focus is bigger and the CX-3 has the same ground clearance as the Mazda3 sedan. It handles well and is relatively quiet inside. In that regard it is no Audi, but it is good for a sub-compact car. I find it easy to get in and out of (much easier than the Audi) and ergonomics are spot on. Simple layout of controls (trip odometer, tach, digital speed, HVAC system), reminds me of cars 10-15 years ago when everything was so straightforward. Cons: No center console storage and the arm rest blocks the cupholders. Bose system is good, but not great. Sub in trunk does not do much. No SD card slot (except for Nav system). Two USB ports, but no where to hide the things you plug into them. No standard front or rear parking sensors. No power tailgate. Absolutely tiny trunk. Gas tank way too small. I have to fill up every three days, which by the way only costs $17. No car is perfect, but for the money, this car is pretty darn good. And throw in Mazda reliability, you got a home run. I am looking forward to getting another one as soon as my other one is paid off by insurance. UPDATE: Got my new CX-3 the week following the accident. Exactly the same except for the color (Titanium Flash Mica). Get lots of compliments about the car and the color. Averaging about 30mpg now in the summer with the AC on. Still love it, no issues except that it does have a little bit of trouble restarting once warm, no issues with cold start. Motor Trend had noticed the same thing. It always starts, just takes a second or two to crank. Overall very happy.

12345...11