Used 2001 Mazda 626 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Really good mpg and handles great
By Tx110703

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Well I got this car for $450 because it was setting on the last owners property for 4years in new England and and was parked because of a trans axle seal leak but it started right up after setting four years but so far I've had a misfire code on cylinder 3 I found the problem the fuel pressure regulator then the passenger side CV axle boot was broke and axle made clacking noises the rear suspension makes noises on bumps and the engine is noisey like I've heard from other people but it handles really well make it fun to drive but I wish the engine had more power the radio screen messes up but the interior is very comfortable and the trunk has a lot of room I'm really tall and I can set in the back and front and be comfortable A/C works good but the heat could work better over all a good car ain't perfect but keeps running currently has 176,749 miles and the mpg is incredible we went on a 15hour trip with the trunk completely loaded and 4 people inside plus the dog and it got 31mpg on the highway I really like this car

Zombie car that I love.
By hassef

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Owned this car for 11 years. I purchased
car used as a dealer demo with 7K on it. At first thought I had a lemon, door trim peeled off, radio broke, O2 sensor went and a sway bar linkage broke, thankfully all under warranty.
Now in its 12th year the car has given up the ghost and is a rolling zombie that refuses to die!
This year had to replace the CV boot and axle
(my fault regular maintenance would have spotted cracked boot and saved me $), the oil pan rusted out, front struts gone, check engine light is on,
exhaust almost rusted out and engine leaking oil from a gasket. Saying all this I still loved it. Has out lived all my other cars and cost the least in maintenance.

Now the family beater, used for light duties and will do so until it finally decides to die. Next car will be a Mazda.

Good Car For The Money
By Chris

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car four years ago with a little over 70,000 miles on it. In that time, the only big repair I've had to make is replacing the axles due to the CV boots, which were busted when I bought it. Other repairs were minor, including new spark plugs, plug wires, new battery, and a valve cover gasket. Regular maintenance has kept it on the road and relatively problem- free. I trust it to get me to work and back and to occasionally drive almost the full length of Texas and back, which I've done a few times now. The car isn't sexy, but the looks have held up for close to ten years now. Not fun to drive because of the 4 cyl engine. It's just a tool to get from A to B, and it's done it well.

The fold-down rear seat allowed me to pack lots of big parts in the car and shave bundles on oversize shipping as I've been restoring a '66 Mustang in my spare time. It's been a life-saver on out-of-state parts runs.

The turning radius is terrible. Parking and maneuvering in a tight parking lot is sometimes a little harder than it should be.

Dont buy kee max
By nokeemax

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car from kee max several years ago, the engine blew before I made it home (less than 15 miles). Kee max buys cars from auction and puts them directly on their lot. After spending approx $2500 on a new engine, this car keeps going and going. It now has over 144,000 miles and still going strong.

Roomy with good mpg

A good car overall
By Al

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan ES-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

From an appearance standpoint, this generation has the best lines compared to previous 626s, and the interior has an inviting look to it, plus it's roomy and comfortable with a great stereo. If you want a car full of high- tech toys, you'll be disappointed. The luxury/power features this model has (ES-V6) have been in luxury cars since the '80s. Reliability is good, except the radiator needed replacement @ 110K. I've heard complaints about the transmission but so far I've had no issues with it @ 156K. The V-6 runs horribly on 87 octane, it needs at least 89. I'm getting clunking from the rear suspension, most likely bushings/struts needs replacing.

Great looks and paint color (maroon), '80s "retro" appeal, oscillating air vents, electric sunroof, Bose stereo, leather, folding rear seats, roomy passenger cabin and trunk.

Cooling system, V-6 should run better on 87, front seat headrests are too small.