Used 2001 Lincoln LS Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used LS for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Worst car I ever owned

Steve Mcblue, 07/20/2010

problems since day 1, terrible reliability with this car. I wont even start listing the issues cause it pains me. I'm a mechanic and this is one of the worst cars to work on. Do yourself a favor and stay far away from the LS.

B2B WARRANTY is an ABSOLUTE MUST

NoVaAgent, 01/12/2007

I thought I had it rough until reading some of these reviews. Turns out my experience was average: bought at 45000, currently 72000. During that time: rear valve cover gasket, two window motors, cruise control, steering wheel stereo controls, memory seat, sunroof, AC, 100% COVERED BY AFTERMARKET WARRANTY. Service trips- fixed the 1st time maybe 50% of the time. **The key here is, the bang for the buck on this car when buying used is awesome. But as an owner, you soon realize the catch, lots of problems, some small, some large, lots of service trips, tons of time wasted. what I find most unnerving about these poor reviews- there seems to be little pattern in the problems- whats next?

Best Car ever.

Kelly, 12/31/2009

I owned a 01 Lincoln LS until 12/23/09 and the reason for that is someone rear ended me and pushed me into oncoming traffic i then collided with a mustang i had 3 people plus me in the car we all walked away with just scraps and bruises that lincoln LS saved my family and my lives I will never drive anything else i will only feel safe in the lincoln so i am now shopping for a another one....

Great car gone bad!

D.Boyd, 07/23/2008

I purchased my 2001 LS as a lease return in Jan. of 2004 with 66,000K. Car was in perfect condition and had just been serviced by the dealer. Purchased a 48 month/50K warranty.Put 22,400 miles in 4 years when the transmission solenoids went bad. Cost $1090 to fix. Then a coil went bad. Cost $690. 10 months after the transmission problem, the transmission went out again. The dealer had closed so I went to AMMCO for the work. Cost $4200. Was thinking this car is costing me way too much when the car stopped on the freeway. Towed to dealer ,the engine coils were bad. Cost $2470. Dealer could not get the car to idle correctly. Took the car back 3 times, no luck. Traded in for 07 Infiniti G35.

2001 LS V8 Sport

mlv, 03/01/2002

Great car, fun to drive, great performance. Free routine maintenance for 3 years.

After all these years!

Jerry Stratos, 10/20/2009

After 3.5 years of owning a used Lincoln LS... Never again. :( Especially taking new dates on ventures where you smell smoke buring off the engine because of a valve cover gasket leak... As I go down the highway the sterring wheel shakes vigorously and I assure her everthing is safe. :O Last but not least... I refill my tires with air because I don't have the money to replace my corroding rims that are decaying from the inside out. This car has cost me more money than it was worth... I should kept my old 87 Honda Accord that I sold for 500 bucks! No wonder our beloved automakers are losing ground against the foreign competition...

2001 LS Review

cahill, 12/05/2009

Bought the LS in 2002 as a new car. Am totally satisfied. It feels like a car I can still rely on especially with 130,000 miles on it. I had to replace the window regulator twice, once on the driver side and once on the passenger side. The cause both times were the plastic rollers and not the regulators. Also the drivers seat heater quit working. Other than that I love the car and would buy one again it it ever goes back into production.

Good sports car not a family car

Bring back the LS, 12/17/2009

I have had the vehicle for a few years now. I have had just a few problems with it. the valve cover gaskets leaked, the chrome on the inside of the rims had oxidated and potted out. I recently had to purchase new rims for the vehicle 8(. Over all the car has been a good car gets okay fuel mileage for a V8. Only thing i wish it had more of is storage room in the trunk and room in the car with 2 kids it can be a tight fit on long trips.

Say No to Ls

Chris, 02/18/2008

This is a awsome vehicle when running. At 99k the engine threw a rod which Ford could not replace.the lower ball joints went out which cost big bucks.It has cost a lot of money to own.I do want to point out that if your ls miss fires check for oil around the spark plug because it will leak oil int that area.

Never Ending Problems

VegasRob, 12/18/2004

I wish This car was more reliable because it was comfortable and fun to drive. It got about 16 mpg, the headlights always fogged up, and the computer message center malfunctioned quite often. I had this car less than a year and it was in the shop for repairs four times and for a total of a month and a half. My extended warranty took care of my collasped driver side window, and my reconstructed transmission, but I forked over around $800 each for faulty t-stat and cracked radiator fluid tank, and shorted MAF sensor which fried my computer system in the car. The car was stolen about a week ago and the cops haven't found it yet. Maybe its a blessing in disguise. Who knows.....

I love it

romaniv90, 06/15/2008

I bought my first LS in 2007 with 104K miles on it. Yesterday, I've bought my second LS, and I love it. Yeah, I had some trouble with it, but it's a used car with a lot miles on, so you should expect some repairs. The only problem I've had with is it was overheating in traffic, so I went to many different mechanics, and they told me it might be a radiator, or a water pump. Eventually when I changed both of them myself, the motor on the fan broke, and that was the issue. So, I think its not the car, but some mechanics are just not educated enough.Otherwise, the car is amazing, I've just got a black on black one with low miles, and I can tell you its something amazing for an 18 year old.

Nothing but problems

michelle, 12/14/2009

This vehicle has been nothing but huge problems, electrical short blows out the tail lights, pieces of the interior just fall off (face plates, heater/ac vents), horn does not work, back fires from the manifold, doesn't start after the first am start, takes five cranks to get this thing running. This car should have been recalled it is a LEMON, nice to look at but not dependable at all! Poor job on this year/model Lincoln. Do not recommend unless you want to be nickel and dimed to death. Gas mileage was not even a concern it is just the odd mechanical problems this car has.

Taken for a Ride

madman, 03/20/2004

Purchased this car new with the V-8 sports package and it turned into a nightmare. Car became very difficult to start after it was driven and shutdown for 2 hrs. Took car in for warranty repair 11 times w/out success. Ford had engineers and executive office involved, and no repair worked. Took them to arbitration to get a refund on the vehicle because they said they could not repair the car, and would not replace it.Other problems included a noisy air conditioner, a defective chrome wheel, seat backs that fell off, and random system fail alarms.

BOUGHT A LINCOLN GOT A YUGO

DISAPOINTED, 05/19/2004

I BOUGHT THIS CAR AS A CERTIFIED USED CAR, IT HAS BEEN SHOP 8-9 TIMES IN 8 MONTHS. THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT HAS CAME ON ALEAST 12 TIMES DURING THAT PERIOD. THEY HAVE REPLACE A CYL. HEAD,COIL PAK,FUEL INJECTOR,SPARK PLUGS,HEGO SENSOR,A/C VENT,DASH BEZEL TO NAME A FEW THINGS.IT ALWAYS SEEMS I HAVE TO WAIT A WEEK TO GET IN FOR REPAIRS. OH BY THE WAY THE DRIVERS SIDE WINDOW FELL OUT TO [5 DAYS BEFORE THEY COULD FIX IT]. GOT IT BACK AND THE DOOR RATTLED WHEN CLOSING-BACK TO THE SHOP,GOT IT HOME,NEXT DAY CAR WOULD NOT START-TOWED TO SHOP,FAULTY POWER CABLE. THIS CAR STINKS AND SO DOES THE SERVICE

Never again

kirkyrt, 10/02/2004

I've only had this vehicle for 6 months and have already had to have 3 coils changed and the radiator fan. Not only has it been unreliable but the road noise is herendous. I can barely hear my self think. If Lincoln LS is considered to be a luxury sports car then they have a long way to go.

Embarrassing quality issues

Soxfan647, 07/31/2005

I leased my 2005 LS V8 about a month ago, and have already had the vehicle in for service. The vehicle had several exterior trim fit and finish quality issues, including hood misalignment, driver side tail lamp misalignment, and passenger side rear door misalignment that resulted in the door latch impacting the striker bar, causing a loud squeaking noise when driving over bumps. Ultimately, 3 of the 4 doors were realigned, which took care of the squeaking noise. The driver side tail lamp and hood were both realigned. My only performance complaint is the responsiveness of the transmission. As a Ford employee, I'm embarrassed that our luxury flagship would have these build quality issues.

The Last of the LS? Too Bad!!

kpie, 03/21/2006

Dollar for dollar this is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Good looks, style, comfort, very tight handling and quiet as a tomb. Performance and economy are more than adequate. Fit and finish are fine. Now at 55K+ miles it is as good as the day I bought it. I only wish I could buy another one that is brand new. However, these are rare and the prices are much greater than what I had paid for my car. But, I'd buy a new one if I could find one with even a reasonable price.

Experience the Lincoln Drive

LINCOLN DRIVER, 09/01/2006

After looking at the LS models,we are very happy with purchasing the 2001 LS V8 Lincoln Automatic 4-Door.Great handling, good highway manners! Sorry the manufacture has disconituned this model.

Nice and very comfortable

Ommar Garcia, 01/27/2017
4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

It's a nice car really comfortable runs great and has good style

Wasted Dollars!

CT, 04/29/2006

My first 2000 LS was horrible! The car went in the shop 13 times in less than nine months. I got a 2001 LS and it has been one problem after the other also. I have always been afraid to take a long trip in it for fear of being stranded beside the road- which has happened several times. As of now, there is no air conditioning and it doesn't want to go in reverse. The repairs are numerous and very expensive! Wish I had never bought the first one and despise the fact that I got rid of the first one for a second headache! I have paid dearly to put all the miles that I have on this car.

Problems with Tire Vibration

Problems01, 07/09/2002

I have had problems with tire vibration since I have had the vehicle. The original tires were replaced, but the problem still exists at highway speeds. This will probably be my first and last Lincoln. I have had more problems with this vehicle than all of my previous vehicles combined.

Great car for the money

RXMAN, 05/24/2004

I bought this car after owning several imports in June 2001 and currently have 64,000 miles on it. The deal was very good, got the first payment paid by the dealer, a 1.9% interest rate, and free maintanance for 36,000 miles. When I take it to the dealer I receive a free loaner car and I have had a continental, aviator and town car as loaners, The dealer also provides free coffe and donuts and the am paper if you decide to wait. I ride the highway a lot, and the car is very stable and quiet, stereo quality is good but not as good as my previous Nissan Maxima

nightmare experience with car and dealer

clp5285, 04/04/2002

I bought car new in June of 2001. Has been in the shop 8 times. whining noise in engine,transmission slips, stalls, Engine revs, only likes to be driven in warm weather.Stereo has been replaced and the car paasenger side window fell into the door they let mechanic take my car home for the weekend I was called by the local police to be informed that the mechanic was out in my car at 9pm doing 60 in a 40 and that he had been drinking. When I got my car back on monday 457 miles had been put on it. Owner of dealership refused my phone calls. Another dealership finally stepped in and Ford has just agreed to take my car back on the lemon law.

Great car!

Eric, 07/07/2008

I bought my LS new in 2001. As of July 2008 I have 144,000 miles on it. Overall this has been a great car. It's a V6 with 5 speed manual trans. The only problems I have had are 2 window regulators (I see this is a common problem but you can replace them yourself its not that hard) and 2 ignition coils that failed. I am still on the original clutch and have only replaced tires and brakes once - at 75,000 miles. Ride and handling are great, power is adequate, and fuel economy is good. I get about 20-22 mpg in normal city driving, and have seen high 20's on freeway trips.

Great used luxury vehicle

cwo3usmcret, 12/17/2007

I have read the previous reviews on this car. I think this is one of the best looking cars that I have owned. The interior is very classy. I did need to have new valve covers put on, but that is normal. This is a quality car, very well built and fun to drive.

Milwaukee Lincoln LS V8

Taruntaev, 04/28/2002

1. Had a very poorly shifting transmission, I took six months of complaining to the dealer, to the Ford Company directly, and then finally to the Lemon Law process to get the transmission fixed. The transmission works well now. 2. Was plaged by electrical problems that made the Lincoln just quit while driving. Requiring a tow from the Lincoln sponsored service. (It took 2.5 hours to get to me) The dealer finally found "loose ground screws". That appears to have solved the problem. 3. Developed a very bad oil leak from the power steering assembly. the dealer fixed it by replacing a deffective "quick change coupling" 4. Misc. I would feel safer if the Lincoln had other tires that Firestone.

Great Car

jjj, 05/15/2002

I compared it to BMW, Lexus and Mercedes. It was a much better value. I got an American car with better styling and performance for at least $10k less. I can also find my car in the parking lot because there aren't 1000 others just like it.

This car has guts

Razbo, 04/29/2009

Love this vehicle. It's a muscle car disguised as a sedan. Quiet, comfortable ride. The luxury you'd expect from a Lincoln but this car moves. No major problems/repairs. I'm passing this car down to my daughter soon and I'm going to miss it.

Keep Duct Tape Handy

John from Cincinnati, 01/17/2008

Most of the time, I have truely enjoyed this vehicle. It was 3 years old when I purchased it, but only had 4,500 miles, so was almost like new. It is a very quiet car and comfortable. My major "beef" is with the window regulators. I have needed to have all four rebuilt! You can be driving along when a window simply falls down, off the track. I keep duct tape handy so I can tape the glass back up until the dealer repairs it again. Lincoln will not admitted that they have a serious design flaw. Very disappointing. No more Lincoln's for me!

2002 lincoln LS v-8

jeff7802, 06/04/2002

fit and finish on car is very poor. car has a number of rattles that the vehicle was delivered with. paint quality very poor. my local dealer takes numerous service attempts to do anything. then accomplishes nothing. if this is LINCOLN'S new vehicle for my generation. car quality needs to be much better, and dealer support needs a lot of help. it's no wonder ford is loosing market share.

Time to let her go

Ollie, 05/20/2010

I purchased this car for my wife and for the first 3 years of owning the car it was great. Slowly things started going wrong which I guess is normal. CD quit working, passeger door lock quit opening, gas door stopped opening, that kind of thing. at 89k it developed a spudder when you stepped on the gas. After some research I realized it was either one of two fuel pumps or a coil. Pumps were $300 bucks a piece, coils were $50 a piece. I have replaced one coil already and I liken it to performing surgery, not fun to work on this car at all. Its a great car when it runs well but a nightmare to work on and very expensive to maintain when things start going bad. Trade in value is horrible.

Most Drive/Buy

Dan Vital, 07/07/2002

Exceptional!! Having been a Lincoln owner for 18 plus years, I personally think they got it right. We car searched and test-drove many cars above and below the LS class. I avoided the V8 because in my research I read that the LS was designed around the V6 for maximum performance and efficiency. Besides, what will 30 additional horses do, 0-60 in 6.7 vs. 6.9? I do not think there is a better dollar to performance/comfort ratio out there. Cannot say enough about how happy we are. :) Lincoln put the fun back into an auto line of sophisticated American luxury!

Solid Performer

Ash, 07/11/2002

I wanted an understated, luxury sedan with all of the finishing touches. The LS is fits the role. Lincoln did a good job on this auto. One trip to the dealer to replace the rear window lift mechanisms - known defect. The LS handles well, looks great and provides an high quality driving experience.

Lincoln LS is a dream

P_Visser, 08/09/2002

My Lincoln LS handles excellently, has a very comfortable cockpit and all the extras a person needs. Acceleration is outstanding as is cornering and braking. It is a bit light on the back end but a bag of sand in snow makes it very responsive with the independent traction option.

My 2001LS

tnbldr99, 08/08/2002

I have owned several different makes and models of luxury cars, including, Acura, BMW and Lexus. Lincoln definitley offers the Best Bang for your buck! They hit the mark with a great combination of luxury, sportiness, and performance.

Very nice car

Johnny , 09/16/2002

I have owned my LS now for about 11 months and have loved it from the start - exceptional handling and sharp looking for an American 4d sedan. However, I probably would not consider this car again. For $40k I expect more than what I got - performance, service, sound system, features, attention to details on fit and finish. Lincoln just does not provide a reason for me to buy another one in 6-8 years.

MB1, 09/18/2002

Comfortable and attractive, but with build quality that Ford should be ashamed of. Have owned Lexus in the past and BMW currently, dealer has no clue how to sell or treat the customer base that they are trying to attract. Dealer does not live up to any commitments made during the sales process.

i love my lincoln

jlvmk, 10/21/2002

Since I've had this car, I have absolutely loved it! The ride and the feel of it is great!

LS

ajames, 10/12/2002

Absolutely reliable, elegant vehicle.

the car is great

pg021400, 10/04/2002

i bought this car after working for a lincoln dealership and it was everyt hing i had hoped for. i read all of the other reviews and people are rating this car bad because of the dealership and that has nothing to do with the actual car. if you want to down the dealership call lincoln division and let them know dont down a great car

2001 LS V8 Sport review

eor2, 03/02/2002

Owned an LS V8 Sport for 10 months, with about 11,000 miles to date. Car has performed excellently during that period. Minor problem with engine sensor, that was replaced without hassle by excellent dealer. Compared with Jag S type and XJ8, and Lexus prior to purchase. LS is far better value for the money than the Jag. Compared with Lexus, LS is more fun to drive.

LS

Pen, 02/03/2003

I purchased the car because JD Power had given it excellent reviews but my experience with the quality was poor. It was in the shop a lot. Now I am look at having to buy a new car because my warranty is up and I do not want to take any chances on having a major repair like in the past.

No Problems

TennesseeLS, 03/03/2002

I waited for the second year (2001) to buy my V-8 model, and it has zero problems. My wife likes the attactive body and interior while I like the power and handling. I systematically test drove competing cars over the same test loop (yes, I am an engineer) and the LS was far superior to all but the much more expensive BMW 5-series in power and handling. America can compete.

2001 Lincoln LS V8

sotojm, 06/11/2003

i just bought a one of these cars and i love the car. i bought it 2 years old with 64000 miles on it. It has a great ride and handling. I am 18 years old and never considered buying any lincoln but when i saw the LS and drive it, i bought it the next day. the select shift 5 speed transmission makes this thing fly. All of my friends say it is "the Car" and immediately fell in love with it. Check it out, you will be suprised

I love it

Brundogg, 07/21/2003

I love my car, I wish that the radio controls would light up at night though. I feel that is a flaw, however, there isn't a car on the road that looks as stylish as a Lincoln LS

great car/needs some quality work

triman, 10/04/2003

this car is a blast to drive, and i've put 36,000 in just under two years. it holds the road wonderfully through the twisting turns of upstate ny and new england, and has superb power to tackle the changes of terrain. the driver's seat is, without a doubt, one of the most comfortable seats in any class, adjusts easily and with memory recall, even those boys at the car wash can play with the seat without upsetting me! i'm planning on buying the 2003 model in a week or so!!!

Who Needs a BMW

Nolan in Pensacola, 04/28/2005

I tell you what. I have had this car for 4 months, and have put on about 5000 miles. It is so much fun to drive, and is extremely comfortable. The only complaint I have about it is the storage space. There is none. The motor is powerful enough and it handles so well. The sport package just makes it look that much cooler.

Beware!!!

Gerald Stratos, 11/09/2005

I bought my beautiful LS V8 sprt pkg. In March 05 and been having trans problems, (it likes to shift to neutral when coming to a stop while still in drive!!! at cold startup) Also, the rack and pinion seeps fluid, the alignment is shaky, and the motor misfires horribly. It's not over yet! My door handle won't open the driver's door from the inside. I have to roll my window and open it from the outside. This is not pleasant during the winter... I still owe 12,500 on the darn thing... I'm looking to trade it off. Oh and the chrome wheels are peeling terribly near the centercaps. Not to mention the weather stripping is coming loose as well. yours truely, Helpessly suckered in Mogodore

American Luxury, by a 30 year old.

Trace, 02/21/2004

After test driving several 2001 entry level sedans (Infiniti I30, Lexus ES 300, BMW 3 series) I was pleasantly suprised with the Lincoln LS V8. The LS I bought satisfied all I was looking for: comfort, luxury smooth but fun to drive, and good value for a used car. All this coming from an Infinti enthusiast since owning a J30 and I30 recently. After getting over the connotation of the name "Lincoln" as my grandfather's car, I feel in love with my first American made auto. The features it offers rival the best of the European luxury sedans, with a much better price tag. I think it has a sophisticated yet subtle body design- I dare to say even elegant.

Really Great Automobile

dhoening, 03/15/2004

Have had no problems since new. With 36,000 miles now, still a blast to drive, and my wife won't let me even think about replacing it anytime soon. Lincoln has a hit on their hands and should leave this one alone!

51050