Used 2003 Lexus SC 430 Consumer Reviews

Used SC 430 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...10

Pros
Cons

Change the runflats

Jack Cunningham, 06/28/2006
2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Recently purchased a 2003 SC with 13k miles and have driven it 4k in 6 weeks. Initial impressions, this is the best car I've ever owned and fun to drive. Only complaint I had was the runflat tires that came with the car. The runflats were noisy and rode very rough. Changed to Pirelli PZero Nero's and WHAT A DIFFERENCE.. Quiet and smooth, like a different car. Opted for no spare and purchased a small tire pump and repair kit for $20.

Never too late

Chris, 09/05/2008
2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Received this beautiful little red car for my 65th birthday. I fell in love just looking at her but when I took her out for a drive... that was it. Had a Corvette when I was in my 30s and this car far surpasses it in feel, looks and fun to drive! I feel like I've gained 20 years back. Never too late to have fun on the road.

Great Car! but Expensive Repairs!

Stunt Jay, 05/12/2010
2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Runflat tires do cause a bit of hard ride. I hit a pothole without seeing it and it bent the rim very easily. Dealer wanted $600 for just the rim. I average 18 MPG as it stated I would. No big deal coming from a Tundra with 13 MPG. Convertible parts are very expensive. Overall I do enjoy driving the car alot and will probably keep it until it dies out on me. I haven't had any major mechanical issues at all with the car.

What was I thinking of........

fpwmerc, 11/06/2003
2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I am locked into buying an M3 BMW. Two test drives later I am wondering if a 61 year old "car nut", can live with the day to day adventure of a lurchy, non-seamless but sporty SMG transmission and a fairly rough ride on all but the smoothest road surfaces. On the day I was supposed to consumate the purchase, my wife said why don't we drive the Lexus? I was shocked as to how nice it was in every detail. I have had Porsches, MBZs, Zs, BMWs, an Audi, an Alfa. I drive alot and being in a rural area I can enjoy a car. This car is a pleasure. It is comfortable, sporty, quiet and the best sound and navigation system I have ever experienced.

Not a sports car, a cruiser.

silver fox, 10/08/2003
2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

The quality, reliabilty and workmanship on this car is outstanding, the interior is beutiful. The engine is quiet and powerful but it just doesn't like to rev up. It shifts into a higher gear to soon when you are accelerating. The only way to get full acceleration is to shift manually. The run flat tires are so firm that you'll know the location of every manhole cover in town. We joke that you can feel it when you cross the white line. It just doesn't drive like a sports car. More for highway driving.

A Dream Car

Jay, 03/22/2010
2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2003 SC430 with 50k miles on it for $20,000. Everything is immaculate on this car, always serviced when needed. The drive does have that sport car ride to it due to the low profile RFT's. The sound system sounds amazing although it is very expensive to replace just 1 speaker at $320. The rear seats (golf bag holder) are useless for people to sit in. The trunk surprisingly does have decent space when the top is up. Being that the model is still the same as of 2010. I will upgrade some of the standard parts to the newest style.

Glad I bought it!

Dan Smith, 03/14/2008
2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Owned several Corvettes, a TR-6 and an Austin Healy. This car takes the cake. Sometimes I have to look for things to do since no time is spent repairing this one.

Lexus `SC430 engine blew up

Ronald Sage, 07/19/2003
2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

In about nine inches of water on the road the car stalled and the engine blew. Lexus could not explain it and refused to cover it. Apparantly in any situation where there is water over the lowest point of the bumper it scoops into the engine compartment. This appears to be a serious design defect.

in 2013 still turns heads

mrcongeniality, 09/22/2013
2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

These cars were so ahead of there time in 2002. It is a great car overall and for a used convertible this is the best value you can get for a used convertible under 15k (2002 to 2004 used ones). Do not use in snow at all. Not even once inch it will crash. My friend who had one told me this. It drives smooth and refined and its reliable. If you buy a German used convertible you'll spend a lot in repairs. You won't with this. I don't have the run flats but I hear they are a problem. The top is up and down in 25 seconds.

It's a keeper

dutch, 06/01/2006
2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Yes, it does not handle like a porsche, but who cares! Top up or down you will not find a more enjoyable, relaxing cruising experience. Not a single problem in 3+ years of driving attests to the overall quality of the car. Cheaper than quite a few of the alternatives and still a car that gets approving looks and compliments just about any day that I drive it.

12345...10