2015 Lexus RX 350 SUV Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Lexus RX 350 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 350 model:

Competent Car - No pain entrance/exit.
By Sam Jenkins

2015 Lexus RX 350 SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Very comfortable, quiet ride. Nothing intrudes on my peace of mind while driving my RX350. I have owned almost a year and driven approximately 4500 miles both small town and interstate. I traded a 2016 ES350 sedan in for this SUV. Only had 2000 miles on it but just didn't please me. My lady friend has hip problems and found the sedan too low to enter and exit without pain. So, I traded down one year to the RX. The seat height is just right for the petite little lady. The RX styling is subdued and classical. It should stand up well over the years. The 2016 and 2017 Lexus front grill is outrageous in my opinion. A couple of years ago the Lexus dealer made fun of my 'buck tooth' Acura but seems to accept the snarling Lexus LOL. A word of caution: research not only the year car you want, but also read comments a year or two on either side of the car you are thinking of buying. I find that some people don't adapt readily to the 'newer' car in performance and appearance. They are often very critical of a newer model because they are so accustomed to the old car. But do pay particular attention to dealer experiences. Update: The RX350 is high quality in all respects: I have owned Mercedes, BMW, and Audi and nothing is better than the quality of my 2015 RX350. If you want a sports car look somewhere else, but if you want a quiet, smooth competent car that will retain resale value, this is it. I laugh at those that expect both plush, easy ride, AND sports car handling!! Come on. I am 74 and love my Lexus!!

Luxurious but Dissapointing
By Cynthia

2015 Lexus RX 350 SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I had a RX 300 and then a RX 350, 2009, both of which I loved. They drove like a car and felt like a car, but had the extra room of an SUV. A true crossover car. However, this car is bigger and feels like you're driving a boat. It drives like a large SUV, which I did not want. I can't even see over the hood very well and the seats are up as far as they can go, so now, I have an extra seat cushion. So much for the heated and air conditioned seats. The 2009 was much more comfortable. I really miss the arm rest in the 2009. I make a shake in the morning and now, the cup holders are even smaller!!! I know this is a little thing, but it only holds a water bottle, not my shaker bottle! Why? Why, Lexus, would you make this change? Very inconvenient. The navigation is really slow and painful to use, and does not respond well to voice activation. I also miss the 6 CD changer. The mouse pad is difficult to use, especially when you are driving. Also, there are no guide lines with the back up camera. My husbands new Jeep Cherokee has them, but the Lexus doesn't??? Bottom line, it feels like a full size SUV and the 2016's are even bigger. I won't buy another one of these. They had a wonderful car with the RX 300. I wish I had another one. Lexus pretty much ruined the RX 350 now. It's a shame. And the new 2016's are pretty ugly with that front end grill they have. It doesn't even look safe. Lexus, what are you thinking????

My 3rd Lexus SUV
By DEE WAMBAUGH

2015 Lexus RX 350 SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The Lexus RX350 is the most reliable, user-friendly car I've owned. Love it!

4th time round
By JudyO

2015 Lexus RX 350 SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned other makes of cars but I keep coming back to Lexus because of the dependable quality and the luxurious interior.

Horrible service, unreliable, bad AC
By joe K

2015 Lexus RX 350 SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I wanted a lexus because my entire family has been driving lexus vehicles for 25+ years. Between myself and my extended family, we've owned around three dozen lexus vehicles over the years. My vehicle is the last Lexus anyone in my family or circle of friends will ever buy again. It's not worth the money or the time. When I first bought it, they promised me it would be ready for pickup the next day. The next day came, followed by three entire weeks of them calling me every other day telling me "it will be here tomorrow". I drove around in a rental for three weeks while they figured out where my car, which I already paid for, was located. Finally I get it, with around 10 miles on the odometer. A week later, not 100 miles later, I start getting a moldy stink from the AC. I take it back to the dealer, they claim they can't smell anything (despite it being so pervasive it sticks to my clothes and earns comments from co-workers), but spray the AC system anyway, and it clears up the smell....for about a week. I took it back another couple times to get cleaned out, again same story "we don't smell anything, but we'll clean it anyway". It smells bad for the first 15 minutes of driving, and anytime i try to turn down or turn off the AC. As long as it's on blast, the smell seems to be dilute enough to not be noticeable. So fast forward six months, I'm driving across the country on a sunday, in the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania when I get a flat. I call lexus support/roadside assistance. They said they can't do anything for me. It's a sunday night and it's about to snow, so they can't send anyone over until the next day. The closest lexus dealership is approximately 200 miles away in bad weather. So I put on the spare, and started calling every tire shop within a 20 mile radius. No one has the tire I need. The lexus's standard 19in tires are so specific, only dealers and a handful of places around the country have them. To add insult to injury, there are huge swaths of country where the closest lexus dealer is hundreds of miles away. Anyway, I expand my search radius and find a costco 140 miles away that carries a compatible tire (after sitting in a hotel calling tire shops for two days straight). Except since it's AWD and the tires are not completely identical, it means I had to replace all four tires (about $1,500) because I got ONE flat. A little while later I moved into a new house in a new state, and took it to the dealer again to see what they can do for the AC. They said they use a different, new chemical cleaner (but even though they don't smell it - a bold faced lie) they will still clean it for me. After that treatment, every single day my lexus has smelled like someone poured fresh vinegar into the AC ducts. It's a smell almost identical to sticking your head into a bag of salt&vinegar potato chips. Again, the dealer is refusing to do anymore service. They said to examine what's really going wrong, they need to take the entire dashboard apart. They refuse to do so without payment, refuse to acknowledge any of my warranties or service plans, and refuse to give me a loaner vehicle in the meantime unless I pay for it. My insurance has a $1000 deductible, so I'm not going to pay for that service. I tried complaining to their managers, who refuse to call me back. To make things even worse, any service at any lexus dealer has generally resulted in a 5-6 hour wait. Even oil changes. Meanwhile, when I take it to any other shop, it's a 20 minute wait to get an oil change at a quarter of the price. I complained to lexus corporate about the smell issue, and they are requiring me to jump through a dozen hoops and fill out binders of paperwork to get anything done. The lemon law is complicated too by the fact that I bought the car in CA and moved to NY shortly thereafter, and I'd need to go to california court to get the dealer to buy back the car. You may be wondering, WHY DOES MY CAR SMELL? Well....here is why: Lexus/toyota is currently (since 2009) a defendant in a class action lawsuit regarding this very issue. A certain percentage of their vehicles have defective condenser coils on their AC. They have an anti acid and anti mold coating - Aluminum Hydroxide - which corrodes and flakes off on some vehicles, and gets blown into the passenger compartment as a fine grey dust akin to cigarette ash. This chemical is used in anti-acid pills, so it's not dangerous when swallowed. But it sure is dangerous when inhaled! Once the coating flakes off, the condenser coil becomes a petri dish and starts to smell like mold or mildew first, then like vinegar, depending on what kind of mold/yeast/bacteria has been growing inside. Don't expect any explanations from lexus, they play stupid about it because if they lose this suit, they could loose an incredible amount of money. It's best for them to keep their customers in the dark about it. Anyway, I won't tolerate that anymore, and neither will anyone I know.