Used 2006 Lexus GX 470 Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Lexus GX 470 Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (45 reviews )

Why buy a 2006 Lexus GX470
By Mike G

2006 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

At the time, it was ahead of most vehicles in technology. Comparing it, today, follow this assessment: The rearview camera is something we would no longer do without! At the time, blind spot was not available, nor was cross-over. Toyota is NOT the king of technology in my opinion--but, the technology that was installed still works and has been without problems. The interior, except for wear on the driver floor mat, has held up extremely well. A good cleaning is all that will be required to look like it is brand new. The exterior of our car needs some repair--as in 2 areas of less than 2 square inches that need retouching, and a good rubbing compound prior to waxing--I think it would be considered excellent. It is almost impossible to own an auto for 10 years, drive it 90,000 miles and not have a few dents and dings--but, they are minor, and NOT the fault of Lexus. As for service, we value Kuni Lexus in Denver as the best dealership we have used. Expense? Well, maybe they are expensive--but, we never had any work done on our GX470 only to find that some "new problem" was immediately discovered--and, when I insisted on new tires (Kuni told me we still had 5,000 miles left on the old ones), they met the price of Costco......! Furthermore, the tires lasted 80,000 miles--unheard of in my experience! Same with the brakes--I practically begged Kuni to put brakes on--they lasted well beyond our expectations! But, had not been driving a Lexus prior to this one. Overall, 10 years with almost no major expense--the transmission didn't go bad, the engine didn't go bad, the electronics still work (including the heated seats, the stereo system.........nothing has gone bad on us! My only disappointment is mileage and the requirement for premium fuel. But.....15 to 16 mpg is not horrible, and it is a big vehicle.

These are really great cars..
By Jeremy Foster

2006 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We've owned these as the Toyota Landcruiser Prado and they are awesome. A little thirsty with the 4.7Litre V8 but amazingly capable having taken one off road from Abu Dhabi in the UAE all the way to Salallah in the south of Oman.

Quiet smooth ride with good safety features
By Jim Hughes

Lexus GX470
By Dave

2006 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Traded a 2001 Sequoia for the GX. Need something to tow a 5200 boat & trailer, and the GX470 does the job with ease. This vehicle might be pretty, but it's a real truck. Even though the Toyo and Lexus both have the same 4.7 liter V-8, the horsepower and torque upgrade in 2005 is very noticeable. It pulls like a beast. Love the backup camera, I can put the hitch ball right under the trailer coupler without looking over my shoulder.

NAV, 14 speaker stereo, ride adjustment control, auto height regulator, rear camera, great feature. Haven't really checked the mileage, but on board computer shows 21+ at 70 MPH. Love that!

More console and storage room. Lose the 3rd seat, can hardly seat a teddy bear in those things. Allow NAV adjustment while driving.

2006 GX 470
By Mark

2006 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I moved from GM to Lexus for reliability reasons and have no regrets. I will probably never buy an American made vehicle again. I did have an issue with the driveshaft but the dealer installed a new one for free since the vehicle was still under warranty. This vehicle would be perfect if it had about another 2 feet added to the rear cargo area (similar to the Suburban or Yukon XL). The power delivered from the 4.7 is superb. Interior styling and finish is nothing less than what you would expect from Lexus. For the price, look real hard at this vehicle if you're in the market for this size of vehicle. I'm not sure if any other automaker can top this one! Looking forward to moving up to a LX.

Engine/drivetrain, Styling, Luxurious Interior, wood trimmed steering wheel, off road ability, reliability, soft leather and secret features (other owners know what I mean).

2 additional feet to cargo area as option - call it GX470L. Gas mileage (16mpg) city is tough on wallet but worth it.