Used 2004 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Best 1st Car I Could Have Ever Asked For!!
By Sid

2004 Kia Spectra LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My mom bought this car new in 2004 and it has been in our family of five ever since Nov 2016. She passed the car along to me in 2012 and I am forever grateful to have been able to call this car mine. We put well over 260,000 miles on this car and I think that the car has definitely served it's purpose. Parts were always reasonably cheap and repairs were not much of an issue. However, in it's last years we were experiencing transmission issues (the car would jerk really hard and not switch gears properly). We also had problems with the odometer which would pick and choose whenever it wanted to tell us how fast or slow we were traveling. But other than those issues, the car was great and got us to and from our destinations safely. I recently bought the 2017 Kia Forte (the Spectra's replacement) because I love Kia so much and I could not be happier with it's performance.

Not to good
By Edward

2004 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had the car for more than three years.
Firts year no problems except for radiator replacement $125 total not to bad
Secund year a bunch of problem came out
Alternator

Third year sold it for less than 1000 dls
Dont buy it

PROBLEM FROM DAY 1
By debrastark

2004 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle from a Barrie Ontario dealer in Sept 2004..it had 18000 on it (I was told it was a rental car b4 I bought it)-in any case the check engine light was on from day one. The most disturbing is when you would go it would hesitate and not seem to "catch" a gear..no power-you would turn it off turn back on and it would seem to reset itself. I took it to Barrie Kia before we moved and they said "if the problem isnt occuring right then we cant see it"-I told them while it's still under 20,000 if I find its transmisison related later I wont be happy. In any case I now work at Honda (thank the lands) I have thus far replaced the alternator and battery. There are FIVE codes (all

all transmision based. Ki Canada said they have NEVER hear of this issue-which I was almost sideswiped with kids in car becasue it's gotten sooo bad(and doesnt "reset" iteself anymore!!Just called there as my work said to me "Its gona cost you 3-4 thousand-just grab another car)..anyhow-Barrie kia is passing th ebuck here and states that my records are deep in storage and now I have to PROVE my transmisison was alwasy an issue!!!..WTH???..So now I gota try to find my service papers and pray trans fluid was done..as this was a problem from day 1_i dont find this fair!

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!!...

Will stay with Kia
By sargrebe

2004 Kia Spectra LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our first new car in 04.
It is technically an 04 model, with an 05 body style.
We loved this car so much that when my husband wanted a new one we bought an 08 manual for him.

Great Gas mileage!
Great starter car for a young family.

The only cons are that the gas tank straps failed after 5 years, and I had to have those replaced, scary!
And the interior after 8 years is failing, seat is falling apart.

Good Car for the Price
By lorijohnston

2004 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I am surprised at some of the other reviews.
I bought this car used with 16,000 in early 2005.
At the time, I needed an inexpensive and reliable car to get me back and forth between work, home and school.
Six years later, I still own the car and I still love it.
The only major expense was a timing belt change at 102,000 miles.
Over the years I have had only one mysterious problem.
The transmission at times would stick in one gear.
Every time I have encountered this issue, I simply pulled over, put the car in park for a second, returned the car to drive and the problem ended.
I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone who needed reliability & affordability.
I own 2 Kias today!

Decent gas mileage 25-30 gallons and the reliability - no major repairs until over 100,000 miles.

Investigate the mysterious sticking transmission.