Used 2004 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews - 115 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Made ME a Kia Spectra convert!
By R R Keogh

2004 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I would not likely have shopped for a Kia, but picked it up cheaply from a friend, & I have been pleasantly surprised. The dashboard has warped some in the Arizona heat, & there have been a couple of electrical issues I've since discovered are common with this year's make/model, but for reliability & performance, it is recommended.

Best 1st Car I Could Have Ever Asked For!!
By Sid

2004 Kia Spectra LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My mom bought this car new in 2004 and it has been in our family of five ever since Nov 2016. She passed the car along to me in 2012 and I am forever grateful to have been able to call this car mine. We put well over 260,000 miles on this car and I think that the car has definitely served it's purpose. Parts were always reasonably cheap and repairs were not much of an issue. However, in it's last years we were experiencing transmission issues (the car would jerk really hard and not switch gears properly). We also had problems with the odometer which would pick and choose whenever it wanted to tell us how fast or slow we were traveling. But other than those issues, the car was great and got us to and from our destinations safely. I recently bought the 2017 Kia Forte (the Spectra's replacement) because I love Kia so much and I could not be happier with it's performance.

Not to good
By Edward

2004 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had the car for more than three years.
Firts year no problems except for radiator replacement $125 total not to bad
Secund year a bunch of problem came out
Alternator

Third year sold it for less than 1000 dls
Dont buy it

PROBLEM FROM DAY 1
By debrastark

2004 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle from a Barrie Ontario dealer in Sept 2004..it had 18000 on it (I was told it was a rental car b4 I bought it)-in any case the check engine light was on from day one. The most disturbing is when you would go it would hesitate and not seem to "catch" a gear..no power-you would turn it off turn back on and it would seem to reset itself. I took it to Barrie Kia before we moved and they said "if the problem isnt occuring right then we cant see it"-I told them while it's still under 20,000 if I find its transmisison related later I wont be happy. In any case I now work at Honda (thank the lands) I have thus far replaced the alternator and battery. There are FIVE codes (all

all transmision based. Ki Canada said they have NEVER hear of this issue-which I was almost sideswiped with kids in car becasue it's gotten sooo bad(and doesnt "reset" iteself anymore!!Just called there as my work said to me "Its gona cost you 3-4 thousand-just grab another car)..anyhow-Barrie kia is passing th ebuck here and states that my records are deep in storage and now I have to PROVE my transmisison was alwasy an issue!!!..WTH???..So now I gota try to find my service papers and pray trans fluid was done..as this was a problem from day 1_i dont find this fair!

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!!...

Will stay with Kia
By sargrebe

2004 Kia Spectra LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our first new car in 04.
It is technically an 04 model, with an 05 body style.
We loved this car so much that when my husband wanted a new one we bought an 08 manual for him.

Great Gas mileage!
Great starter car for a young family.

The only cons are that the gas tank straps failed after 5 years, and I had to have those replaced, scary!
And the interior after 8 years is failing, seat is falling apart.