Used 2005 Kia Sedona Minivan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Sedona for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

This thing won't die!

eagleboyrox, 07/09/2012

I have an 05 Sedona and this van is surprisingly the most reliable van I have ever seen. Kia's cars are crap but this van has 306,234 miles on it right now and still runs like the day it came off the showroom floor. The engine is so quiet you can't hear it run and the transmission still shifts like it should. I love the room inside and the seats are easy to remove. I've even hauled my jetski in it a few times! I keep the oil changed with 10 w30 Mobil 1 synthetic. That may also account for the great gas mileage I get in this van. It only uses a quarter tank up and back from my house to my mother's house which is about 80 miles away as long as you keep the mph fairly steady. Keep that in mind.

She's My Work Horse

yankeegirl89, 08/13/2013

This Van Currently has 123,000+ miles on it and counting, we've used it to haul all my kids to their games and meets, move their stuff to their college dorms and apartments. We have moved furniture, appliances, taken trips, been all over in it, she's been old reliable. Haven't had any problems with this van, I would buy another one were it not for the fact that in another year I wont need to be moving anymore kids and I can downsize again finally.

Bought New in January 2005

socaldave, 02/05/2013

Bought the van fully loaded: leather, DVD, ABS, moonroof, etc. Comparatively equipped mini-vans were much more expensive. Currently has about 58k miles after 8 years. The brakes went out by 20k miles and the ABS never seemed to work right. Replaced tires with Hankook (factory) tires the first couple of times. The inner walls on the front tires kept wearing out. Went with Michelins the last time and they seem to be working better. Haven't had any major problems but looking at around $900 for timing belt replacement at 60k miles. Also, spark plugs are very difficult to change out. I average about 13 mpg city and 20 freeway. Paint is fading. Mirrors and bumpers are first to go.

Good van

busmunoz, 04/26/2013

Bought the van used in 2009, and other than the required maintenance I never had to fix a thing. I love this van. I put about 75,000 miles on it and it is more reliable than any new car I ever bought.

Great little van

INDIOSDAD, 03/18/2010

Got the van to transport our greyhound dogs. We have 4 of them and have found with the center row of seats out we have ample room for all the dogs. This van has been very reliable and we have had no issues with it. Have only had to perform normal maintenance on it. The ride is good, the interior design is just right, over all we find this a good vehicle that suits our needs. We only wish it got better mpg, however it does get better mpg then my wife's pt cruiser. Will buy Kia again when we need a new van.

Traded Lemon Y2000 Grand Caravan for 0meter Sedona

WIKI, 10/29/2015
EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought Y-2000 grand caravan having less than 50,000 miles for $7500, it was a lemon, its AC didn't get fixed even by Chrysler dealer, lots of problems, i wanted to trade it in to buy Honda Odyssey, but they were expensive $18000 for used van under 60000 miles and they put Grand Caravan value under $2000, I visited KIA dealer, they trade in my Van for $6500 for brand new o meter 2005 KIA Sedona, I bought it in MARCH 2005 and to this day, it is amazing, i blindly trusted the foreign brand but it proved to have reliability, now i have 156,000 plus miles on it and no sign of any engine or transmission problems. Its shocks are still behaving like a new Van, i will say it is over design, bad in mileage but gives you 300 miles in a 16-17 gallon tank, this is the only bad side but overall it paid off my buy.

Pretty good mini van

durangomom, 08/19/2010

I bought this van used with 12,000 miles on it, it has been a good car for us, I was very hard on the rotors, and the brakes, we had to travel down a step hill often, so the rotors wore out pretty fast, that was about 2 years, after we bought it, also around the same time, the adjusting part of the p seat went out, and we had it replaced, its a good a car, and it can take hit in the back, it was in a pretty hard finder binder, and hardly crunched up at all. I do recommend this car, for the price it's perfect, and I think it is pretty fast, i don't know what some of the poster are talking about, mini vans are meant for large families, they shouldn't be like sports cars, they should be safe for kids.

piece of junk

opencarry, 02/16/2012

Bought it in 08 with 15k on the odometer.... 3-4 sets of brake pads pr year, Throttle positioning sensor replaced, Camshaft positionong sensor replaced, power steering pump dissintegrated, ac compressor..shot, timing belt, L front strut..toast, unable to maintain allignment, 5 sets of tires up front, gas mileage sux!!! 13mpg - 18mpg., underpowered, delayed gear shifting, 4 sets of headlights, power seats malfunction, front bearings, seizure of R front wheel. Aaand regular maintenance costs. We are a fam of 7. demand are high but the vehicle has been maintained. All was well untill 75k. After that, should have dumped it.... never again.

Kia Sedona

naayaah321, 12/28/2009

My parents own a Kia Sedona, 2005, and really like the minivan. It has been very reliable and done us well after 4 years. The brakes werre replaced prior 2 times and on the second tine, my dad made them put heavy duty rotors and pads and it's been fine ever since. The engine has been very reliable and the problems noted n these reviews have never happened to us. We did replace the tires with the car tires they reccomend, and they wore out fast. What you need to do, is replace them with light truck and SUV tires and i fixes that problem. Think about it, the vehicle weighs 4800 lbs, and car tires are just not heavy duty enough. Overall, it's been a great vehicle for our family.

lots of minivan for the money

KT, 07/17/2006

My wife and I traded a 99 Plymouth Grand Voyager for an 05 Kia Sedona due to transmission problems. Right off the bat I was impressed--build quality and interior design were light years ahead of what I expected. Nice ride, too. Handling is decent. I have to give credit on the interior as this is the 05 Sedona's best feature. Plenty of cupholders, 12v outlets, and storage spots. Seats are comfortable. We took this van to the beach about a week after we bought it, and it was a perfect match. I never thought I would "want" to drive a minivan but this one changed all that. Great sage green exterior paint job. Easy on the eyes.

10 is OLD

infcont, 07/31/2016
LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the van from our friend whose wife had died. The van was 2 years old, low mileage and well maintained. All went pretty well until the warranty expired! We had done routine maintenance and minor problems. Went for the inspection sticker and it failed (first time in my life that's happened and been driving over 50 years!) Went to Kia per our mechanic. After 2 or 3 visits and megabucks, it finally passed (replace the 2-yes, two- catalytic converters and some other problems they found). Since then we've replaced the compressor - twice, replaced rear heating lines, and the final blow - the engine broke (thought it sounded like the compressor went again. The 2005 Sedona has less than 55,000 miles!!! Guess we won't get another like we planned.

60,000(miles), The Magic Number

Rob, 02/22/2010

We had this LX since 6/2004(15k)& only one mechanical problem before hitting 60k miles. The starter went bad and was replaced under the warranty. At 60,000 miles, however the check engine light came on and the van started driving really rough. 14 diagnostic codes fired,the crank shaft sensor went bad, causing the van to downshift while driving($550). The power steering "pump" went bad, making the van impossible to steer($800). And the mechanic says that all of the belts are on their last leg. Reading about future value of Sedona's, your best bet is to sell before 60k and run into the ground past 75k. These vans I'm sure have improved quality, however this van has not held its value at all.

2005 KIA SEDONA LX

DIANNA, 11/06/2004

THIS IS THE BEST MINIVAN I HAVE EVER DRIVEN. IT HAS GREAT PICK UP AND HAS GREAT GAS MILEAGE FOR A MINIVAN. I LOVE TO DRIVE IT SO MUCH THAT I NOW ASK TO PICK THINGS UP FROM THE STORE OR TAKE ANYONE ANYWHERE THEY NEED TO GO. IT IS EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE AND MY FAMILY LOVES IT AS MUCH AS I DO. BY THE WAY THIS IS THE FIRST BRAND NEW VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED IN MY 35 YEARS OF DRIVING. I HIGHLY RECOMEND THIS VEHICLE TO EVERYONE. I AM A SINGLE GRANDMOTHER THAT LOVES TO TAKE HER GRANDCHILDREN EVERYWHERE SO AS YOU CAN SEE I DRIVE IT A LOT.

DON'T BUY!!!

fedup, 02/16/2010

I have a 2005 Sedona. Never again will I buy a Kia. The brakes have to be replaced about every 5 months. The brake line has had to be replaced. The alternator had to be replaced. The front end will not stay lined up. The headlights have to be replaced about every 3 months. The fan control for the AC and the heat doesn't work anymore. It's hard to steer when it's cold outside. All of this under 100,000 miles. Kia will not help to fix the problems. Had some scratches on it when we bought it. Kia would not fix. This has got to be the worst vehicle I have ever owed. Trade in value on it is only 2,000. Dealers will not trade with me. Can't even give the vehicle away. Don't waste your money!!

Great for the price and tows a boat too.

ronwass, 09/01/2008

Let me first state that I LOVE minivans. This one is very comfortable except for one thing: The gas pedal is too close to the drivers seat. We take it on vacations with 5 people to the beach, etc, and you can't beat a minivan for that. I got the towing package for a bike rack, and, surprisingly, two years later I bought a boat which the car tows nicely. Reliability has been excellent. I have had two warranty repairs, and had the brakes done once. The car is heavy and handles as such. MPG is bad of course, but I paid literally half what I would have paid for a similar Honda in purchase price, so I'm still ahead on gas. Good luck.

Never Again

eyeluvart, 03/22/2010

The transmission blew, the air conditioning went, the 3 catalytic converters went, the seat broke twice, brakes and rotors. 10,000 later in repairs, needless to say, I won't make the same mistake twice

Warranty

rusty, 10/20/2010

Bought this sedona van in 2005 notice right that the fuel use was lot higher than normal over all average @15 to 17 but for the most part not bad had problem with the air condition it would go on an off took it to the dealer said it had a leak this van was out of warranty about 6 days they refused to fix it i would have to pay for it put in a case number with kia they said take it to another ia dealer for a diagnostic cost $112.00 for this said the control head was bad in the dash need to replace it would cost $906.00 to fix this. did not fix went home call a junk yard found the control for the dash 43.00 took 45 min to take out an put back in air works fine now no thanks to kia so will not buy

large blind spots and continual engine light on

Lora Mirick, 04/14/2016
EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2005 kia sedona from a private used car (not KIA) dealer. God bless that dealer! For most of the first year he had the van back and forth trying to get and keep the engine light off. Everything from power steering just letting go to exhaust o2 sensors. They had a hard time just trying to get the parts needed. Here is a list of some of the work done to the van: throttle repair, piece by piece until the whole unit was done, almost every o2 sensor on the car, power steering master cylinder let go, exhaust work, lubed manual sliding side doors multiple times still having problems, starter died, drivers power window motor stopped working, valve cover gasket leaked oil into spark plug well. And in my opinion one of the worse problems with the van are the blind spots! Something you can't change or repair. I have noticed a large blind spot on the right front view. Where the rear view mirror is and the roof support are mounted. The two put together make a large area where you can't see anything coming. I almost had multiple accidents because of this. Give me my old Dodge grand caravan any day!

Love this van!!

josephina1000, 01/31/2011

We bought this van brand new back in January 2005. We had it for 6 whole years now. Never had 1 problems w/ it. We drove it all the way from Calif to Florida and back. Dragged a tent trailer and regular trailer w/ it quite often. It has totally held up really well. We maintained it and took care of it. It was the best van we ever had. We are now looking into trading it in for a newer model. We highly recommend this mini van.

15 years 90,000 miles 15,000 in repairs

Jeffrey, 08/26/2018
LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Be prepared for 2000.00 plus per year in fixes

Death Trap

Bill, 07/15/2008

This car has been a death trap since we bought it. Frozen throttle cable almost killed my family, and we only got attitude from Kia, until they finally did a mass recall because of our problem they claimed did not exist. 6 sets of brakes, windshield wipers went out on expressway during a rainstorm. It lost a bolt off the wiper motor. Also metal pulley fell out of van in Walmart parking lot, hitting a man in the leg. The pulley was from the air conditioning unit. Also had a leak of fuel vapors, and bad seals in the car that allowed the elements to fog up Windows badly. This car is a lemon and a death trap, I do not feel safe in this car, and don't want my family riding in it.

Worst car I've ever owned

have to say, 04/20/2010

I'm glad Kia offers a 60 thousand mile warranty, because I had to have this lemon in 8 times for warranty work. Many times the work was for the same problem over and over (cheap seat covers that tore, gear shift that locked up, locks that locked the car on it’s own, mechanical issues of all kinds). I’m over 60 thousand miles now, and the car is just slowly crumbling. There’s no way I’m ever buying a Kia again after this.

The Warranty

SAd, 02/20/2009

The warranty on the car is not worth it wait in gold. I have had the car for 4years have replaced the tires 9 times the brakes 5 times and now the car is in the shop and has to have a new engine. This is not covered by the warranty even though I only have 70,000 miles on it. They say it is my fault for not having the oil change like I should I have proof that I do have it changed like I should and they say it is still my fault. The answer is either fix it which will cost me 3,500 for a used engine with a 6 month warranty or I could trade it in on a new one. I think this is very sad that my husband 20 year cars engine still runs great and a 4 year old engine needs to be replaced.

Never again

kitcar04, 07/25/2013

Bought brand new didn't matter the problems began at the very start with brake problems and went on from there...Problems made worst by the worst customer service I've ever experienced. With thousands of dollars spent and car still stalling we were done. You want a reliable car get a Honda. That's what we drive. Excellent customer service every time.

4 years and 74K miles later

Docker, 11/21/2008

Front brake rotors had to be replaced at 12K. I installed cross drilled and slotted rotors which made braking much better but it eats pads more. Rear brakes have been great and still have over 50% left on them. Power/acceleration is much better than expected even towing a 2K# trailer. Handling is great for a minivan. There seems to be a rust issue with the rear heater hose which I feel should be a recall because it's a design flaw. This was a $375 repair OUCH. Just hit 74K miles and the O2 sensor is shot. This too I believe is a quality issue as I have never replaced this sensor on any other vehicle I have owned. I hope to get at least 300K out of this van and will keep you posted.

would buy again

two time kia owner, 06/29/2005

this is a good buy for anybody the price more than makes up for the missing features of the higher priced vehicles and you cant beat the warranty cause heaven knows if you need a minivan you cant afford emergency repairs easily.

2005 KIA SEDONA

LISA, 08/27/2005

So far it is a nice vehicle. It has great pickup and rides very smoothly. I had a DVD put in for the kids and it makes it all worth while. The price is right and we got a great deal for a large automobile.

Love my KIA

hc, 03/22/2005

My passanger doors are difficult to open for children & tend to stick. And a few big blind spots because of the rear head rests...however I love to drive my KIA I traded it in from a Voyager & the POWER is awesome! I got the cloth seats, didnt want the leather, but got every other option including the sun roof..the seats are comfortable, the sound system is as my 8yr old says AWESOME. I would buy another tomorrow if I could.

high valued minivan

george, 04/04/2005

I have the new Sedona Kia for 5 weeks and 1800 kms. and find it a nice van to drive around. No problems at all with quality. Gas mileage not great in city but reasonable on highway. Compared to my previous 2001 Xterra, the mileage on this Kia is a lot better. The Xtera is a lot noisier and too high to climb in and out. Love the features inside and more than enough room for my family of 5 including a baby and a toddler.

LOVE MY KIA

Helen, 07/03/2005

I have had 2 Dodge Caravans & would never own another one after purchasing our Kia Sedona. In the past 13 months we purchased it we have had no problems. It is GREAT to drive & very comfortable & dependable. My sister liked ours so much she went & purchased one.

Great Van

Angel, 08/19/2005

We rented a Sedona for a family vacation and loved the way the vehicle ran and the comfort. After we got back we started looking around for one and got our Sedona in November 2004.

So Sad Sedona

familyof7, 03/12/2007

We bought the Sedona with only 14 miles on it hoping it would be a vehicle to depend on should my husband ever get deployed. Lo and behold I was moving home from NC to UT and it died at highway speeds just before Albuquerque NM. Weird I thought for a van that only has 17000 miles on it. Turned off the key turned it back on drove a mile or two and again...it died. I about got hit by several semi trucks that travel the I-40 west. This is not a reliable vehicle. It was towed three times before they found the problem and that was because we sat at the dealership and told them how to fix it. They replaced four blown fuses, fixed a throttle cable recall, and ended up replacing computer.

Decent vehicle

Melissa, 05/10/2016
EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

There tend to be problema with the the front breaks on this can. I have had to have them replaced many times.

Spark Plugs hard to change

tlrussell0829, 04/23/2008

My husband and I bought this 05 sedona used and he went to change spark plugs and the back 3 is going to be very expensive to change, you have to take the intake manifold off and I find that very ridiculous that they would build it that way. I love the van except trying to squeeze in the very back and not a lot of trunk space. Very disappointed that it is going to be hard just to try to do basic repairs ourselves like changing spark plugs.

It's been a pleasure

tina, 05/20/2008

I purchased my Sedona w/ only 12 miles on it. Now it has over 67,000 miles. I've taken it on many road trips and have been disappointed w/ the storage space. If you're thinking of this van,definitely opt for the luggage rack. But i have to give it credit for reliability. I've maintained the oil changes like the dealership suggested and i have NEVER had any problems in the overall performance. The gas mileage could be better but that goes for most vehicles w/ 6 cylinders.

Piece of Garbage

Jonathan N, 01/19/2010

I bought my Sedona used two years ago and have had nothing but problems. After three months the check engine light came on and when I took it to the shop, the mechanic said the hose used to transfer the anti-freeze to the radiator was missing. He installed the hose but apparantly didn't check the rest of the van. Less than two years later my engine blew and its not covered. The warranty and the KIA name are a joke. I take excellent care of all of my vehicles and this one is plain old Korean garbage. I will never buy a KIA again.

Did I mention...

beamin2, 11/25/2011

I had a BMW 5-series when I first got this van to drive my kids around. They (I have 3) were getting into fights in the BMW. This van solved the problem, with captains chairs in the 'middle' and the third row in the back. Two years later, the BMW is gone, since I was never driving it. Either I had the kids, or was parking in a garage, or the weather was bad.... pretty soon, I was driving the van all the time.... ;)

Piece o'crap

mvrab, 06/23/2011

Two failed power seat switches. Cheap Paint. Rattles till your teeth fall out. The Chevy Vega of the minivan world. Steering wheel placement requires either you have 2' long legs or 5' long arms...zero ergonomics...rather negative zero ergonomics. Geez, I'm 5'11"...pretty average for the US.

Warranty is a scam

chdsgrl, 12/02/2009

The problem I have with KIA in general is the warranty. They sell you the car with this great warranty and then pretty much refuse to honor it if they can. "Lack of maintenance" is a global loop-hole they use to not do warranty work. I have 49,000 mi on my car and they're saying I need a new engine due to the above and won't warranty it. I do not "need" a new engine, and I have done the recommended services per the warranty policy. But, again, they won't honor it. Nobody at the dealership cares, or at KIA corporate. My husband has a honda with twice as many miles, and has had no problems. Steer clear of KIA and stick with a reliable manufacturer.

gas mileage

larry seedle, 10/19/2004

just poor gas mileage but van is ok. they need to ork on the gas mileage. and more room in the back.

Great van at a very cheap price

Joe Sciarrone, 07/04/2016

Zero trouble

Still trouble free at 47K

Tim, 08/07/2008

I looked at several vans before buying the Kia - comparable vans were $5-10K more and with less warranty. I've driven my van 47K in 3 years. Only trips to dealer were a couple of minor recalls and to replace the switch for the power seat recliner. Kia knew this van was a little portly (4800 lbs empty) but I like heavy duty features (HD chassis, aux transmission & oil coolers, dual piston brake calipers). I get 17/24 MPG. Maintenance has been oil changes, tores at 30K, front brakes at 45K. Overall van has been comfortable and reliable.

good all around hauling vehicle-likatruc

stace2005, 08/08/2008

I love my KIA. I had a 2001 YUKON DENALI for 4 years before I had to give it up for this car. It made the transition easier because the Yukon was very luxurious and had plenty of room. The issue with the fuel regulator cutting off when the tank was full was the only issue I have had. I have performed the maintenance early and replaced all tires. The a/c is frosty even in the rear rows and in the winter that heater burns us up!

Done with KIA

Mburgess, 08/20/2008

Overall the Sedona is a pretty good van except for the gas mileage. bought the van used, being a single mom and GSleader I needed the room and a dependable van. The dealership i purchased it from in Feb 06 is OUT OF BUSINESS & now there are NO records of all the gas mileage problems. I took to another dealership "they can't find anything wrong", but they did replace the float sensor in the gas tank and LOST my mileage log that i had been keeping track of for 2 yrs. I get around 10-13 miles/city and 17-19 hwy. I am on the third set of tires and third set of brakes. I tried to trade in on an 08 - they will only give me $4k - i still owe $11k. but said van was in great condition!

2004

mike, 02/26/2005

I've owned a 2004 Kia Sedona for one year and I only have one complaint. The rear seats don't fold into the floor, which is inconvenient when you need to haul things other then kids. It drives great. The transmission and engine are flawless. The interior is sharp looking and comfortable for long trips. The exterior is good looking as well. The best thing about this van is that I bought the top of the line model for $19,000 with tax out the door. I had a Dodge before and the Kia is so much better built. Also I tow 3 ATV's on a trailer and it tows them without a problem.Consider this model because price vs value is fantastic, as long as you can live without folding in floor seats.

Satisfied

kat, 04/12/2005

We purchased this vehicle to replace one that was getting old and was starting to need a lot of maintenance. We weren't necessarily looking for a minivan but found one we thought we'd like to test drive. The dealer let us have it over night and we were very impressed with the Sedona. The warranty package was very important and we also liked what we were getting in the vechicle for the price. I think we made a good choice in the Sedona. I would have liked the anti-lock brakes to come on the base model and for the take off from a stop to not be so sluggish but other than that I really enjoy owning my Sedona.

Awesome!

John, 05/27/2005

We wnet from an entry level SUV to the Sedona. NO COMPARISON! The Sedona was less to purchase and MUCH more in comfort. It is roomy with a number of great features. Such as the power seats, ability to remove seats and haul "stuff", leg room, captains seats in second row and a very quiet ride!

Impressive

Josh, 05/27/2005

I absolutely love my van. It looks so sleek and nice on the outside and the leather interior on the inside is easy cleanup. The sunroof is also great. Wonderful van for the money. Very happy!

AWESOME!!

Dustin, 07/10/2005

I would recommend a Kia Sedona to any family that needs the room. All the power and style of a car put into a van. 10 thumbs up!

Kia Sedona at 13,000 Miles

diskjokk, 07/26/2005

I never dreamed I would end up driving a minivan but as a single father of 3, there was no better choice of vehicle for me right now. So I bought a 2005 Kia Sedona LX. I just love this van! Everything from the exterior to the interior of this van was put together with care and understanding of a family on a budget. The van looks and rides good and I am pretty happy with the purchase. My only gripe about this vehicle is that its consumption of gas is HUGE! I can get about 22mpg on the highway. When on the road, there is minimal road noise and good visibility. Controls in the cabin are laid out in a logical and thoughtful manner. Factory CD/radio system isn't bad.

51050