Used 2012 Kia Rio Sedan Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Rio Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

check before you buy this car!!!!!
By Taylor

2012 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

This is the first vehicle I have ever bought myself. When I first got it, it ran great! I was getting 34 mpg in the city, and about 39 highway. I have had this vehicle for 3 years, and within the last two year I have started having major issues. first off, you cannot get part for this vehicle from an auto parts store. you have to get it from a licensed KIA dealership. two, the engine shakes sometimes. when I am sitting at a red light it starts to shake like it is going to explode. and since the engine started to shake and the way the car is designed, the AC compressor is nicely placed right in front of the radiator overflow. so when the motor shook it burned a hole into the overflow, melting it and making me lose antifreeze and making the radiator cap break. in this specific car, you have to replace the whole radiator to replace the overflow. three, over heating issues and knocking from the motor. I take very good car of this car, it is in for maintenance every 3 months and have the paper work to prove it. but every single summer it over heats no matter how careful I am. four, going up hill... you can step on the gas as hard as you want and it will not go any faster. five, the van does not turn on all the time. I have had the Carfax pulled and there are no records of issues from the previous own. I hope this helps. but I will never buy a KIA again. I paid 9k for this car and I have put over 15k in fixing it. this car isn't worth the stress.

The White Bullet
By Kyle

2012 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

The White Bullet has been good to me. In nearly 18,000 miles so far it has had minimal problems. One trip to the dealer for a computer update because of the knock sensor code putting it into limp mode. Other than that just regular maintenance. The manual transmission is great, I love it and bombing around town feels like driving a rally car. Excellent gas mileage on the highway but with many hours behind the wheel I have to say lack of lumbar support isn't great. City driving in "stop and go" traffic is a nightmare but only due to the manual transmission. It has good trunk storage but it could have a bigger door area as fitting larger items is difficult or impossible. A relatively cheap and very reliable vehicle with limited creature comforts earns this one a 3.75 out of 5 in my book.

good for me good for you
By John Farrell

2012 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

This is a real good value

electricity went completely out
By Kiara

2012 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

I just bout a used 2012 Kia rio lx like three months ago. Everything is nice ok and dependable for the most part. However the electricity went out in my car. Like for real. No headlights, taillights, radio, bright lights, dome light, key ignition circle, dashboard lights/signals came on. It didn't start or anything. Then the locks and windows didn't work. I tried to lock the doors with the key alarm and that still didn't work. So I just let it sit for awhile then came back to it. It started up and lights came on like nothing ever happened. What the heck went wrong? Is this going to be a reoccurring incident?

Give the Rio a chance !
By Brad R

2012 Kia Rio Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

I've had my 2012 Kia Rio EX with the convenience package (back up camera, indicators on the mirror, touch screen display) bought it with 5 miles now has an outstanding 86,000 miles. In the summer I average 35mpg usually in the winter it drops to about 28 unfortunately. I'm still on the original factory brakes which I do need to replace asap, had a problem at 10k with evap sensor which dealer replaced at no cost even gave us a free lender for a week while they waited for part. At 80k a clack happened upon acceleration, pinging caused timing to jump kia dealer fixed with no problem and at no cost even with the system update being expired, however car still pings like crazy upon acceleration. The passenger seat sits really low, I can't sit passenger in my car and I feel bad for my passengers. Resale value is absolutely terrible for this car however. It's been a great car, and the warranty is amazing.