2019 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews

$22,990

Save as much as $5,572
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Way better than Camry

Ronald O, 06/09/2019
LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This was such a good option. The car practically drives itself on the highway. It’s modern and turns heads. The headlights could be better and I plan on replacing the bulb with LED headlight. The seats are comfy and the car has a nice acceleration. We chose this over the Camry and wouldn’t go back. This is way better and it has better reviews than even a Honda CRV!

A great car.

Greg R, 02/22/2019
EX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

I have owned the ex 12,15,17,19. (non premium) The 12-15 was great overall cars, the 17 was comfortable but it was slow the 19 is a combination of a luxury and a sports feeling car. When I tested the car at the dealer I was amazed by the technology that it had. lane assist, blind spot and detection while in reverse. As far as comfort I am a big guy and I first tested the the S model. This model did not feel comfortable to me but the ex did. compared to the 2017 I was taken away and excited by the speed. Yes I can pass cars now without shifting in low and while comfort level mode (eco) After the test drive I wanted the car so bad I gave up my 2017 with 48K on it and took out a high interest loan to get this car I was so excited by it. A week later I Still love the car, but as a consumer I was un aware I was getting a DCT Transmission. This Transmission is not as smooth as a conventional transmission and this transmission have had previous complaints with other manufactures. However; while some vehicles had bad luck with them other manufactures have had good luck as time went on. What got me aware of this was the occasional jerk or shake at low speeds. According to my research this is normal. This is a Dual Clutch Transmission that acts like a manual but has the convenience of a automatic. My Feelings are mixed on it, but it's supposed to give me better gas millage since it's 7 speed and more power along with the turbo. And yes I love the power in the car. I guess for me the ex model is the best it's got the smaller 17 inch wheels for a more comfortable ride the 18's no doubt are better for performance but i like a softer road feel. The inside of the car looks and tech is awesome! . As far as the DCT that will take time for me to figure out how I feel. on one hand I love that I get to 40 to 50 mph in no time but on the other I'm giving up a small amount of comfort of a old fashion transmission Again it's not a major thing but something I have to learn about more and get used to. I would definitely recommend the car just be aware of the Transmission difference.

Best looking car on the road

John Marley, 12/01/2018
EX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

Best Value for money. Safety features like Lane Departure Warning, Blind Spot monitoring, front collision warning and automatic braking - all standard in the EX model. I recommend getting the EX model as lot of comfort and safety features are standard. Except for Panoramic roof and navigation ( which are options ), the EX has everything you need. Among the negatives - Interior color choices are limited. Black or Grey( only with some exteriors ). Dealers adding ridiculous amount of unwanted add ons, which can increase the price up. If you can find a dealer who can sell without unnecessary junk, you should be able to score an EX model for invoice minus holdback ( $800 ) minus rebate ( $2500 ) all close to $24000 aproximately

Unmatched Value

Greg, 06/02/2019
EX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

I would like to start my review off by saying that I have never owned a mid-size sedan before, and most vehicles I have owned in the past have been old used cars, or low trim new economy sedans. I do have four years experience working on cars though, so I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly first hand. I mention this because of the simple fact that this vehicle, based on it's pricing, made it possible for me to start driving a near top level trim of what I believe is one of the sharpest looking cars on the road under $30,000. The ride is so smooth, and I really love the sound dampening windows on the EX trim. It makes a huge difference on highway driving and really allows you to enjoy the radio. It's not as "engaging" as some of its counterparts but I'm not the type of driver that drag races people to the next stop sign/light. With that said I have given it some throttle and did feel it had a decent punch, thanks to the turbo. I love Android Auto because I can turn an 8" display into a nav system with Google maps, I can listen to and browse (to a degree) Spotify or iHeartRadio, and best of all I don't have to struggle to tell my system to call Mom, and it respond with "Did you mean to call Work?" This is made possible by the Google Assistant which is ages better at voice recognition than standard Bluetooth systems, and also has years of my own personal voice history stored. Speaking of the radio, I'm not an audiophile but I am pretty picky when I comes to sound. The base system is about average for a non-premium, but I do hear rattling in the door panel even without the bass cranked to 11. I live in Upstate NY and so the heated seats will be a welcome luxury for me, I've even used them on a couple of cooler spring nights and found they heat up fast. Overall, as most reviewers have stated, the cabin is just really well composed and easy to use, something a lot of vehicles fail to do. Overall I am very happy with this vehicle. I've received a lot of compliments on the look. And knowing the vehicles I've driven in the past a lot of people have been surprised I could afford it.

Crazy Road Noise

Willie G., 08/18/2019
S 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Have brand new 2019 Kia Optima S. Road noise was really annoying. Dealer switched out Kumho 18" tires for Hankook 18"tires. NO DIFFERENCE. I then partially paid for a better tire (Continental LS). Road noise still can be heard. Something else wrong. I think the car has sport tuned suspension. Dealer says, no! Going to test another vehicle at a different dealer to compare noise. Be aware of this problem. Owned 2 Optima's before and had no problems with road noise. Stay tuned.I will write again with my findings.

Great ride for the price

Pavel, 11/02/2019
LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Very nice standard features like reverse camera, lane assist and collision warning. Very spacy interior for its class.

Nice

David, 07/28/2019
LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Was always a little leery about bargain brand cars. Was surprised at first Optima I drove, then again when it was restyled. Almost bought one, but bought 2014 Sportage instead. Liked. Now drive 2019 LX dark blue. Really nice. Great UVO infotainment center. Nice motor/at combination. Willing to wind out satisfyingly if you ask it too. Stylish. Only one usb port, however. Not a deal breaker. Love Android Auto. Maps are really nice, etc. Less muscular than it used to be, but more sophisticated.

2019 Optima "S"

Ron Bell, 10/16/2019
S 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Love everything about this car. Performance, comfort, style and great MPG. This is my 3rd Optima. Had a 2013 EX, 2016 SX Turbo and now the 2019 "S". Strongest suit is the drive train. Replace the weak headlamps and you'll have the perfect ride!

Met my high expectations

DHB, 01/12/2019
EX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

Been wanting one for a few years and glad I was able to get it at a good price finally. I’ve been a long time Hyundai owner but Kia seems to become a bit more upscale than the Hyundai. Very satisfying purchase thusfar.

Good but not perfect

Sam , 08/24/2019
LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The steering wheel has a highly reflective surface that is very distracting when sunlight hits it .The Ac fan goes from 2 to 3 and there is no inbeween which is crap at adjusting the temperature

Great Value in Good Looking Package!

Oldgoldtop, 11/30/2019
SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I used to have to get high end cars get the convenience tech features I wanted. Phones, keyless start, BT, GPS, vented/heated seats, blind spot monitoring and other such options were once reserved for luxury brands. I have had several BMW, Audi and Mercedes which first offered these amenities that have increasingly been made available on less exclusive brands. Fantastic! Now retired, I no longer can deduct my vehicles so have been looking at some “more affordable” makes. I chose this 2019 Kia SXL Turbo because it offered pretty much most of the options I will not do without, plus a few others. Rear seat heaters and 4 camera surround view monitors were two options I wanted that many others in this class did not offer. I miss the remote push button trunk lid operation on the 2017 Lincoln I had been driving. This “smart trunk is “okay” though. Also Kia seems to be doing away with garage openers too. I had to purchase a small 4 button fob I have placed on the visor to open 3 doors. $12 on Amazon. The operation of the radio/media and GPS navigation is superior to ALL of my previous vehicles. And the Kia UVO also is superior to Android Auto mainly because Android still does not have wireless capability in this car and requires connecting with a usb cable. Texting by voice commands while driving through the UVO is great as is searching for a destination (“navigate to ____ animal shelter”), still I am uncertain if I will be willing to pay the high fee for the necessary UVO subscription after the one year included “trial” expires. Many states are enacting laws to require hands free cell phone use. When not connected to Android Auto, I can always use my voice to send texts via my smartwatch, and I had the dealer install Kia’s remote start so I can rely less on the UVO app for that. And I can always rely on my phone with Google maps to input destination searches. The other UVO features are not worth paying for imo. The “smart cruise control” is great and the operation is simple and intuitive. The Lincoln with just “regular” cruise was cumbersome and annoying to operate with too many buttons. (Wake up Ford!). This car also comes with many safety features like collision avoidance and lane keeping (plus more). Also a 5 star safety rating. The 2.0 4cyl turbo is peppy with a nice note when accelerating but the ride is a bit stiff though not unpleasant at all. The controls are generally well placed, easy to use and do not overly rely on the touch screen, which is nice. I find that I prefer the hard buttons for navigating directly to the menu I want. I have had several touch screens that require precise touching or risk touching the wrong spot. The interior is tasteful with decent materials but will not be confused with a high end luxury car. I am getting over 27 MPG just driving around town, but I am intentionally driving conservatively to test how efficient it can be driven. No doubt that number will decline with my more typical driving. Perhaps there could be a bit more sound deadening material or absorption insulation put in. I notice I could hear some dishes I had in transported in the trunk rattling, sounding like they were in the back seat. The sound when closing the doors and trunk lid seem less solid than I am used to. Minor quibbles really. I do not find the highway noise too bad really. I have had quieter cars but this is more than acceptable. Perhaps my hearing is not what it used to be? I really can’t believe I am driving a Kia! But they seem to be building great cars and the price differential from a more “prestige” brand is significant. And I was able to score a great deal on a leftover horizon blue 2019 model (it looks fantastic!) for $10k below $37K MSRP. Timing is everything and end of year deals are what I typically look to negotiate on. I will see how it goes over time but right now the honeymoon continues. Maybe I should have looked at Kia before!

Optimaistic

Alyssa, 04/18/2019
S 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Kia is an amazing brand. I love my Optima just would like something bigger but for the size and payments is great!

2019 Optima SXL (Limited Package)

Michael SXL, 01/01/2020
SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love this car! Up front I will say that at 6.7 seconds 0-60mph, it’s not the fastest in its class. HOWEVER, the trade-offs you would have to make for similar class models with a faster 0-60mph time just aren’t worth it. The Optima SXL-Limited Package isn’t as well known as the base SX model. You can’t find many pictures/videos about the SXL online, but there are a few out there. The Limited Package adds about $4,000 to the MSRP. I got the Aubergine color combo. The Nappa leather seats scream luxury, and aren’t as tacky as the basic red/black SX seats. Also, other features are more plush such as the suede headliner, heated rear seats, and the rear window sun-shades. The “Birdseye” Surround View Monitor (only in SXL) is super cool, automatically comes on when reversing but can be turned on as long as you aren’t going faster than 9mph, which comes in handy. You can view all cameras at once, or select cameras individually to view. The SXL model has upgraded 18” Dark Satin rims with red painted brake calipers. The side mirrors are the same color as the car (black on the SX), and they automatically fold in/out when you lock/unlock the doors which is kinda cool too. There are added chrome accents to the side sills, and of course there is the “SXL” tag on the back of the car with the letter “L” in shiny red. I LOVE the panoramic sunroof and it is a must get option for this car! I think it adds about $1,000 to MSRP. Safety features galore! The Lane Keep Assist will literally steer the car to stay in your lane without you even having to touch the steering wheel. As long as there are well painted road lines, this car will steer for you, even driving over 60mph. Obviously not recommended to use like this lol, but it works! Several different crash avoidance systems, like automatic emergency braking, blind spot warnings on the side mirrors, parking assist, rear cross traffic assist, lane departure warning etc. This model has it all. The premium Hardon Kardon sound system with subwoofer and surround sound is amazing. I had the 2017 Regal GS with the Bose system, and the Hardon Kardon blows it away! The car feels like it has zero turbo lag which was always apparent in my 2017 Regal GS. The Optima SXL takes off with virtually no turbo lag, and I can certainly tell the difference when driving in Sport mode. According to the specs the Regal GS beats the 2019 Optima SXL at 0-60mph in 6.2sec versus the Optima at 6.7sec. But honestly, it doesn’t feel like it to me! All around, the 2019 Optima SXL has a great design and sporty look inside and out. With all the added safety features and limited additions, best car in its class at this price range. $37,410 for my car after charges for White Pearl paint job, wheel locks, carpeted floor mats etc. Pretty hard to beat!

I LOVE MY KIA!

Dwayne Wells, 04/16/2020
S 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Thai car for the price is such a incredible value! I had a 2015 optima and traded it in on my 2019. The car has so many features, great fuel economy, cheap to insure, maintain and I put a set of 20's on mine and its turns heads, and earns front row parking with the valet! lol I've owned BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes, and even Lexus! But I looooove my Kia a lot more

Former Mercedes E350 Owner

Satisfied with Kia, 05/15/2020
EX Premium 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

After the lease on my 2016 MB E350 was up, I decided to finance something much more economical, but as close to the same ride and creature comfort as possible. Well, after driving my 2019 Kia Optima EX 1.6T for a few days I really didn’t miss the Benz. The ride, quietness, refinement, and seat comfort weren’t much of a downgrade from the E-Class. Seriously. And it has SO many more standard features, at more than half the price. And more room. The one con I have is the Dual Clutch Trans. I hate it. I understand its theory, but it’s too much like a manual, with the lurches. And it’s downright awful in stop and go traffic. Otherwise, it’s a great car.

Great 4 door sporty car!

Tony Parole, 05/16/2019
S 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I am on my 3rd Kia Optima (2012,2016 and 2019)and it is such a great vehicle. Stylish ,sporty looks yet a practical 4 door sedan. Well priced and with Kias best warranty it’s a great car. I have never had any major repairs on any of these vehicles. I was disappointed that my favorite feature( the drivers memory seat) was no longer available. This feature automatically slid the seat all the way back when you parked for easy exit and entrance and after entrance would slide the seat to a (set by you) memory position. Still a very enjoyable car to drive and a great sleek look

Good but not perfect

Sam , 08/24/2019

Noisey?

Fallini, 11/12/2019
S 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This is in response to one reviewer that complained about road noise in his 2019 Opt S. I only test drove this model and as I accelerated, this was the first thing I noticed. Road noise is pronounced. My '17 Forte is quieter than this thing! Too bad. Would have purchased it on the spot.

2019 KIA Optima LX