Used 2004 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used Optima for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...32

Pros
Cons

2004 Kia Optima Great Car

Cptterry, 03/29/2010
LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car new! Have had no major problems at all. Key to any car performing to your expectations..... Maintenance, follow the schedule. I have replaced tires once at 60 K along with timing belt with required maintenance. Oil and filter EVERY 3,000 miles. 2 head lamp builds an 1 set of brake pads ( Front ) I will buy another Kia again! I worked for a GM dealer for 21 years .. thought we built great cars..... NOT!

My best decision

Suhail Sood, 08/26/2010
LX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it used with 67,948 miles on it. Replaced transmission fluid and stock Infinity stereo with pioneer DEH- 2200UB and boom it sounds great with stock speakers and tweeters. Engine goes silent after 5 minutes of drive. I get about 23-27 mpg on regular commute. My Optima has California state emissions and don't have to worry about timing belt change until 105,000 miles Last time it averaged 30 mpg on my way to philadelphia from pittsburgh, 356 miles on a v6 and 30 mpg, what more do you want?

GAS MPG

analyzerlx, 10/02/2006
EX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The odometer reads 34,400 so far and going strong. I commute pretty often now and I've been going from Georgia to Maryland, VA or NC. I recently checked my MPGs and was pretty happy to see it is around 32.4 MPG. I think that's great since the EPA highway is only supposed to be 27. The car has a few mysterious dings. Other than that it has been a very comfortable ride. I believe it should reach 100,000 with no problem. I plan on fixing the timing chain at 60,000 and will see if I have a problem after that.

2004 KIA Optima V6 Owned for almost 7 years

brandvegn, 07/02/2017
EX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Originally purchased from auction in 2010 for 2,500 USD with 125K. I did a CarFax check and it was a former rental, which can be a problem, and was owned by a private owner for less than a year after it was part of a fleet. Belt squeak and no air conditioning when I bought it, I knew it was a gamble. That gamble paid off. V6 is the preferred version of the Optima. The 4 cylinder had numerous problems. Bought a cheap can of R134A. Air conditioning done. Belt squeak stopped mid-trip home from the auction. Spark plugs replaced and fluid change in 2010. Spark plugs and all hoses changed in 2014 as well by mechanic before driving to a new home in Florida from Alabama. Car drove like a dream until probably 2016. Mid-2015, the CV Boots finally leaked and there is creaking as I drive. I have purchased both axles and struts and shocks. Brake changes 3 times since purchased. Compressor leaked out refrigerant 3 weeks ago. From my receipts, I have paid about 2300 USD in parts and labor for the last 7 years including oil changes. All work except for the checkup before my move were done by me. 191K on the engine. Rear windows stopped rolling down in 2015. No need to fix. They roll up fine once down, but I use this primarily for commute. Interior issues, none. Seals still intact and no air leaks. No tears in cloth upholstery from wear or other issues. I keep the interior clean and do a deep clean about 1-2 times a year. Steering, Braking and Acceleration are great. Only issue is timing for low gear to high. There is a small amount of lag when shifting into low gears sometimes, but the pickup is great. Exterior looks good. Door handles and door trim are plastic and the paint has chipped off as time has gone by. This is not a big issue, but it effects the uniformity of the exterior, but it is a 13 year old car, so I can't complain. Overall, a great purchase. About 685 per year outside of gasoline for purchase and maintenance. I am satisfied and this is a good, solid used car for everyday commutes.

It's No Honda Accord

Eric, 10/19/2018
LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I got this car a couple weeks after a tree fell on my 2005 Honda Accord, crushing the roof and totaling the car. When I did purchase this Kia, it turned out to be a lemon, but I managed to get the problems fixed. The car did its best to show me it can be a dependable car, but it also showed me it was an old Kia. The Optima's Mitsubishi motor was loud, but slow, the suspension was responsive, but soft, and the doors love to lock themselves whenever I get out of the car and my hand is nowhere near the lock switch. Whoever replaced the left headlight did a terrible job at it, as the lens is cracked and the brackets are completely broken, so they drilled a carpenter screw on the rubber seal and into the bumper, so it would "stay" on the car - I didn't find this out until recently (and I had this car for over a year), when I was replacing the low-beam bulbs and removing the headlights is the best way to get to the bulbs' retainer springs (the bulbs don't twist off). I would only recommend getting this car if you're needing a budget car and you cannot find a Honda or Toyota in your area - just be aware you're likely to have problems sooner or later, if not present.

12345...32