2017 Kia Optima Plug-In Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Kia Optima Plug-In Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews

EX 2.0L 4-cyl. Hybrid 6-speed Automatic - (8 reviews )

In the shop for more than 1 week. What the?
By Alan Higashi

2017 Kia Optima Plug-In Hybrid Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I am leasing this car for three years. After 3 months, I took it in for a recall (something to with the battery voltage protection device) and first oil change. The service department notified me that there was a milky substance in the oil. They could not diagnose the problem and had to call their own tech support for help. To make a long story short, my car has been in their repair shop for a week now. Hopefully, I can get it back in a couple of days. The service department took 5 days to diagnose the problem and they are replacing a high pressure pump. Even with this replacement, they aren't sure if this will solve the problem. The irony of this is I really intended on getting an all-electric vehicle because of the low maintenance required of electric motors. I settled on this plug-in hybrid because it allowed me to drive in all-electric mode for up to 29 miles. My commute to work is only 24 miles so the all-electric range was acceptable. I have driven the car for 3 months and still had a full tank of gas when I took the car in for service. I can't understand why the ICE engine has this major problem when I haven't even used the ICE engine when driving.

Update: 7/10/18. I got my car back after being in the shop for a week. See the previous paragraph. After driving for a few weeks, the warning indicator light begins to blink on and off. The Hybrid system warning light also turns on. The manual recommends that I get the car back to the Kia Service Department. Again? You've got to be kidding me. I have driven this car for about 4 months and it is telling me it needs repair. Also, when charging the battery, the fan turns on and is quite loud. The fan never turned on before the warning lights started flashing so I'm assuming when charging, the battery is overheating. Pretty scary! I hope it doesn't catch fire. Anyway, I scheduled an appointment with the Kia Service Department and they can't look at the car for another week. I hope this problem is solved right away and the car is not in the shop for another week. So far, terribly disappointed in the reliability of this car.

Fantastic Choice/vehicle
By Paul G

Car gets great gas mileage, plenty of room and comfort, and all the bells and whistles you need. Averaging nearly 80mph!! The only minor flaw with this vehicle is the undersized trunk space. Other than that great choice with nearly $13,000 in rebates!

Great car on a cheap lease
By Big Al

Huge rebate made the car very affordable. The information system allows me to drive efficiently. Very roomy interior.

Let Down by Poor Technology
By SeikoD

I am an automotive enthusiast used to driving more sports-oriented cars but wanted something better for the environment as I live in a city with terrible air quality. To that end, the car is working exactly as advertised: for my frequent around town trips, I use almost no gas (I think 7 gallons over my first 1,000 miles of driving). So, while I love the car for its electric range, appearance, and comfort, the infotainment system is driving me absolutely crazy. I wouldn't have thought a poor touchscreen experience would be a big deal before I bought the car, but just imagine having to wait 15 - 30 seconds for it to boot up before you can adjust the climate control, use the backup camera, or listen to the music you want. Infuriating! Also, you have to plug in your iphone to use apple car play (no bluetooth capability in 2017? give me a break). Also, the app is a joke, it takes FOREVER to connect to the car for monitoring battery charge, security, and turning on climate control (so long that I usually sign in and walk away from my phone because I know it will take an eternity to connect, and even then it still fails quite often). On top of that, the Kia financing website where I pay for my lease is a joke as well, always seeming to have some excuse as to why I can't set up auto payments (again, unacceptable in this day and age). So overall I am enjoying the car for what it is, heck, even the acceleration and handling aren't too bad, but all of Kia's tech issues are going to scare me away to another manufacturer for my next car.

Incentive couldn’t be passed up.
By Rich

Have a Tesla 3 on order. With the EV credit in 2018 in jepody, I couldn’t pass up on this deal.