Used 2009 Jeep Patriot Consumer Reviews - 76 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Jeep Patriot Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

Patriot
By Chris

2009 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Worst car I ha e ever owned. CVT from Jeep is the worst implimentation of a transmission

Going on 3rd Transmission
By Linda Pompliano

2009 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Having 3rd Transmission (rebuilt this time) put into 2009 Jeep Patriot. Can't even trade it in unless it is running. Very disappointed in Jeep.

Good little SUV until it hit 100,000 miles
By Aaron Kelts

2009 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car brand new and have meticulously maintained it. We have been happy with it for many years and is a comfortable daily driver. We have had problems with the transmission overheating throughout the years. It seems that the filter and fluid needs changed every year instead of the dealer recommended 60-80k miles.

It gets better fuel economy around town than the highway as at high speeds the little 4 cylinder works pretty hard to keep it moving at over 70 mph.

Recently though, we had the check engine light come on (even though the car still runs and drives fine?) and I replaced what should have been the faulty part and the old code cleared but a new code came up. We took it to a shop who again replaced the part and they could not get the new code to clear for them either. They diagnosed it as a fault in the computer and recommended a new one. I installed a new computer and the code will still not clear. We are dreading taking it to the dealership as the local Jeep dealer is a con artist and it may cost a quarter of what we could sell the car for to get it fixed. Depending on what the dealer quotes us for repairs we may be looking for a new vehicle instead, but it won't be a Jeep SUV that is for sure.

Piece of Junk
By Mike

2009 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a new 2009 Jeep Patriot . The dealership replaced the transmission after 3 years due to overheating and noise. After I reached the 50k mileage mark, I have replaced most of the front suspension i.e. (Upper/lower control arms, etc.) a few times every 15k miles. I have heard from various mechanics that all low priced Jeeps are constantly in the shop with issues. I will NEVER purchase another JEEP or Chrysler product.

versitle car
By Rick

2009 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Jeep new in 2010. It now has 76k on it. The tires lasted 60k miles. Mostly routine maintenance. I still enjoy driving this vehicle and take it on long trips in comfort. Because of the miles ,year and good resale value I will probably get a new one.. I think this car has the best bang for the buck in its class. My son used to drive this car when he was on leave from the Navy. He enjoyed driving it so much he talked me into selling it to him and he still owns it with about 98,000 miles on it. The only issue he has had with it is when he was deployed to Djibouti Africa it wasn't driven for about 6 months and when he got back the transmission had seized up. Probably caused because its a sealed transmission but by rocking it and driving it slowly to get the trans fluid circulated it freed up. I replaced the Patriot with a new 2016 Dodge Caravan which i also think is a great car for the money $22,203 out the door.