Used 2008 Jeep Patriot Consumer Reviews - 217 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Patriot

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

Great SUV
By KYPatriot

2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Patriot brand new in April 08 and I love it. Forget what professional reviewers say about it compared to the Escape, Rav4, etc., this is comfortable and handles great. Kentucky got hit with a terrible ice storm in early '09, and the Patriot acted like it barely noticed it! The biggest knock on it is the cheap interior materials, but seriously - how often do you touch your dashboard?

Beautiful layout and design. Comfortable leather seats. Handles great! 4WD is flawless. Average about 22.3 MPG city/ 28 or better Hwy. Autostick feature is fun on winding roads. Chrome door handles and gear shifters are lovely.

Interior doors scratch easily. The backs of the rear seats should be plastic, not carpet. 6-disc changer lacks an MP3 player input - what the heck??

patriot lover
By val smith

2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've got over 30000 miles on my patriot already and am very pleased. I live in the N Ga mountains and drive 65 miles one way to work. I'm getting 26 mpg which I am pleased with considering the terrain. The brakes are holding up well as as are the Goodyear tires. I bought the base model but wish I had spent the extra money for the 4wd. I thought the front wheel drive would be adequate enough and it basically is but I do miss the 4wd. This vehicle will see well over 200k miles before I trade it for a new one. Love the lifetime powertrain warranty and will definitely consider another patriot.

Exterior styling and handling

A different material for the cargo space. Items tend to slide around on the hard plastic.

Junk Jeep
By Chris

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This Jeep is alright at best it drives well enough however they leak very badly and this is a common problem if you go on any forum. Jeep doesn't seem to know how to solve the problem. Having said this it does drive well and has decent power, the interior is comfortable but the dash is very cheap looking plastic which jeep is changing in 2009. The console also heats up quite a lot where the heat adjustment knobs are. This has potential to be a very good vehicle however Jeep has to look at it and fix the design flaws first.

Folding seats including Passenger side front seat. Good stopping power and handles nicely. Decent acceleration for a 4 Cyl.

Jeep has to review there build practices and the design flaws with this vehicle as it leaks terribly. I have the pictures to prove it.

08 Patriot FWD AUTO-CVT
By gwapo-gorilla

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my patriot used. I wanted a fwd thinking it would get better gas mileage and I needed an automatic for the wife. I am getting about 23 mpg..and the cvt feels weird. When I let off the gas, the trans mission slips into a lower gear slowing the car down. I suppose it helps save on brake pads, but I really don't care for the feel of it. Other than that, it's great car. Plenty of pep for a 4 cyl. but I really wish the wife could drive a stick!

Hugs the road good. Does not drive like a van.

CVT needs improvements, seat belt are in a bad location...hard to buckle.

jeepers creepers!!!!
By fmjumps

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

From most of the previous reviews owners either rave or rant about their patriot.I have found the vehicle to be trouble free in the 11 months/ 17K of driving i have owned it. The gas mileage is as advertised in 50/50 driving. at 6'3" there is plenty of room in the vehicle. It handles great, has plenty of power for merging without redlining it, the only caveat to this is when it was fully loaded. I have only needed the 4x4 a few times in a record snow fall season in upstate ny. The vehicle is very surefooted and stable in all kinds of weather. the only fit/finish issue i have had is the fan/air direction knobs do not line up with the symbols on dash, small annoyence. Would purchase again

gas mileage. stereo is very good. plenty of nooks for small items.

Arm rest and doors are rock hard, some padding for elbows would add alot towards comfort. seats may be somewhat short for tall drivers on long rides. the tailgate does not rise high enough to walk under w/o hitting head. door locks should ALL unlock when hitting unlock button ONCE!