Used 2003 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews - 326 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Nice stuff
By Gary Bader

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

90000 miles and 14 years old still working and I never get stuck in snow.

Powerful off road capable suv
By Dylan

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great little suv with a good amount of power. Its offroad capabilities are quite impressive too. Unfortunately, my particular vehicle is very unreliable. Its seems something always goes wrong no matter how much care goes into it. The driving experience is very enjoyable though. I would recommend buying one with low mileage and only if its cheap because something will likely go wrong while owning it.

Good value if well looked after by previous owners
By BritInPhilly

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2003 Liberty with around 125k miles. It's been a good car for the last 18 months of ownership. It copes well with poor road conditions and has been really great in the snow. It's comfortable and the trunk space is pretty good too. My only gripes would be that the gas mileage is poor and the build quality is lacking in certain areas. The engine in these really needs regular oil changes to keep it in good shape and be wary of a Jeep that's been driven hard as it could end up being expensive. I've driven 15k miles over the 18 months and so far had to replace 2 window regulators (more on this later), as well as rotors all round and transmission solenoids. The window regulators are a pain and a common problem on these cars. They are badly designed and manufactured with cheap materials, so you're likely to be replacing at least one a year and finding yourself with a window jammed open at the most inconvenient times. The part is around $65 and it's a fairly simple job taking around 30 minutes to replace. Otherwise, expect to pay a garage $600+ for the replacement. The paintwork on these seems to suffer with peeling clear coat, particularly with darker colored cars and mainly on the roof. Mine's peeling but doesn't bother me so I'll leave it. Overall it's a good car and always feel solid and safe.
*Update at 135,000 miles: Another window regulator at 130k miles, the O2 sensor went around the same time (which halved the average gas mileage down to around 9mpg) and wheel bearings starting to rumble recently. I took the car in for an oil change and tune up and to get an estimate for wheel bearing replacement and a new AC compressor. The repair shop seem to want to dissuade me from pouring money into the car every time, which makes me nervous. The AC compressor was damaged when another car backed into the Jeep in a parking lot, so not a build quality issue. I figured out that I'm spending maybe around $1800 annually in repairs and maintenance over the last 2 years and, assuming I'm into the same over the next 3 years then I'd still say the car hasn't been bad value at all.

Lean mean and green
By ErinK

2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

From the first test drive i was comfortable and happy as if i had it my whole life . I am in love. only thing i had t adjust to was window controls in the center and not on the door. nothing average about this ride . Im 5;1" its not always easy to find something that's comfortable that you can adjust so many ways . dint expect it to have so much electronic xtra. its a jeep thing and I DO understand,

One owner comments
By Ssteve Bernstein

I purchased my Jeep Liberty Limited in Dec 2002
It has been a great car now with over 189,000 miles still runs great
I have towed boats for years and driven all over the country
If it only got better gas mileage
Average is 17 city and 19-20 hwy
I would recommend this suv to anyone