Used 1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Great engine and transmission but rest sucks
By Vance Jochim

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV

I bought my 1997 Jeep Laredo 4 Dr Cherokee used in 2010 for $3400 with a busted odometer showing about 75,000 miles. Now it is Feb. 2018 and the odometer shows over 100k (it is underrecording mileage, but does work). I am retired and am the only driver, and drive it mainly 3-5 times a week for local meetings, with the longest trip being perhaps 60 miles. It still has the original shocks, 6-cylinder engine and automatic trans. The engine and trans still run well, but everything else goes to hell and it is only 20 years old and not abused. I had to have the starter replaced and it cost over $500. Compare that to my 1965 Mustang where many more parts still work vs this Jeep. The speakers go in and out - not sure if they are stock. The headliner has fallen out, so I had to pull it all out after trying to glue it back up. The 4WD didn't shift right in 4WD after I got it, so I have been afraid to use it since then. This Jeep didn't have a tow bar, so I installed one and was surprised it cost over $400. Then Jeep had a recall due to gas tank safety, and the fix was to install factory tow hitches, but I already had one. The dark green paint clear coat has "crizzled" so it is flat (it does sit outside). The rear two door electric windows failed soon after I got it, and it cost me $400 to fix that. The mechanic said Jeep cheaped out on the switches so they always fail. The horn has failed, and apparently it is because the switch is in the steering wheel airbag, and you have to replace the costly air bag to just ensure the horn works. The dome lights go in and out. The return spring and bushing in the driver door hinge has fallen apart, so the door squeeks each time it is opened. It is on a welded fixture, so can't easily be replaced. The left rear door window just fell out of the track and down into the door. I finally had to just wedge it to stay up and had to disable that switch I had put in earlier. The driver seat material has failed and ripped. I hit a truck with a trailer hitch at about 5 mph and the entire front plastic bumper fell off. Had to re-attach it with screws. The bumper "black" finish has gone ugly flat. Apparently, like the paint, it wasn't designed to last past 15 years. I recently had to tow the vehicle becuase a fuse blew, and found there was absolutely NO tow hook or place under the front of the vehicle. So I hooked the chain to a steering bar for a short 8 block tow and bent the rod, costing $600 to fix. So, I will continue driving this until the engine or trans fail then junk it. I will never buy a Jeep again because their quality control and longevity of many lesser parts and electrical systems suck. They are great to drive in the heavy Florida rains, but not that great to put up with bad quality in a lot of small things. Before buying a Jeep or any other vehicle, be sure to check for Federal government recalls to know what they are.

Own a Jeep !
By Own a jeep

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV

Very very good car

Great Jeep
By R Fox

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Endless reliability internally, falling apart externally
By Jack Nelson

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Country 4dr SUV

I've had my cherokee for roughly 4 years now, bought it used at 120,000 miles, and I have yet to even touch the motor in terms of repairs. It is a modern day sherman tank mechanically. I've obviously had to replace my share of wear and tear parts such as the alternator, tie rods, brakes, etc. But never anything on the motor, or even the transmission for that matter. Unfortunately, as with all cars, it is falling apart at the seams in terms of appearance. The bumper fell off the other day for no reason, and it has a crackle when idling (most likely the catalytic converter). Its a pretty big gas guzzler as well. All around I'd say it is the perfect "point A to point B" vehicle.

reliable, structurally sound, 4wd is awesome in the winter, good towing capabilities.

What do you expect, its from the 90's. You won't get a better vehicle from this era in terms of performance

Love my Cherokee
By dylanc

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Country 4dr SUV 4WD

Absolutely love my Jeep Cherokee. It has 230k miles on it and no serious mechanical issues. The automatic transmission is fantastic (AW4). I used to hate Jeeps, but after having this thing I want to buy more and more. It isnt the most comfortable SUV, but if you're looking for a reliable, good looking Jeep then look no further. The 4.0L is notoriously reliable. I have a 2006 Commander with 100k miles and my 230k Cherokee gives me less problems. When things do go wrong, parts are cheap and with an afternoon pretty much anything can be fixed. If you can find one in the South you dont have to worry about rust. I will never get rid of my Cherokee, maybe just buy more. My favorite Jeep every made

Bulletproof 4.0L. Snappy fantastic transmission. Great looks. Front seats are very comfortable. So many aftermarket parts for it.