Used 2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews - 134 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

Never again!
By Terri Monaghan

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

My late husband was British. Having owned a Jaguar in the past, he suggested at some point I should purchase one. I did so and have been paying through the nose on repairs ever since. It is something every month with this car and the repairs are not cheap. I have had continuous transmission issues, electrical issues, air shock issues etc. The list goes on....a new code every week. About the time I think I will sell or trade the car, a new code, a new repair. My advice is unless you just have money to spend, stay away from a Jaguar! Sure wish I had.
I have been asked to update my review. Oct. 6, 2018. My Jag is currently in the hands of a 2nd mechanic. The 1st one had it for 2 wks. and never could get the car to stay running. All kinds of codes came up, but couldn't resolve any of them. 2nd mechanic reprogrammed the computer and I was notified the car is running beautifully now. I hope it continues to do so. I really do get frustrated with this car, but I do not want a car payment. I am comfortable with using my Jag for local use, but I am not sure it is trustworthy for long road trips. I still hold to my feeling that I would never buy another Jag.

I was hesitant for years
By Jeff K

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I was the guy that always admired these cars for years when I'd see them on the road. Friends thought I was crazy, that it was an old man’s car. So, I would just end up leasing a new BMW 5 Series every 3 years. I got so bored of the 5 and all the other new European sedans I'd see on the road here in LA. Finally, I said 'that's it!', when the next pristine 2004-2007 XJ comes up for sale locally I'm gonna jump on it and throw my 5 Series up on Swap-A-Lease. That day came in August of last year and found myself an 04 Vanden Plas with 41k miles on it. Paid a little over $13k for it. Just like most used cars, especially ones this old, you have to expect to do a little sorting in the beginning. I spent about $1500 in the first few months and it’s been smooth sailing ever since, just routine maintenance. The car is an absolute joy to drive. Quiet, comfortable, plush, luxurious but also light on its feet and handles amazingly well. I thought I would miss all the latest technology and convenience of a new car. I don't at all. Find an awesome independent mechanic that specializes in these cars. The dealers are way overpriced and are used to working on the modern cars. For anybody that's on the fence don't be. Just get a good one and you'll never look back. Oh, my friends that used to make fun of me now love it as much as I do

JAGUAR XJ8 was a great choice for me!
By COOPER W NORMAN

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this car used. It had been a condo-car in south Florida for all of its ten year life, and CarFax showed that some years it had only been driven 1400 miles; was regularly serviced and was still in warranty when the guy before me bought it and put nearly 10,000 miles on it in a couple of months and then resold it once the original warranty ended at 50,000 miles. Purchase price was outstanding and I had some money to spare to take care of the inevitable used car issues. Some things on cars fail simply because of age, and this was no exception. A couple of thousand dollars to get a good mechanic to take care of those issues returned the Jaguar to top condition and I haven't had to do anything but change oil and filters for nearly three years now and the cat keeps on purring. Love this car.

My 8th Jaguar
By Alex

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJR 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

I wrote a review for Edmunds on my 7th Jaguar which was a 2004 XJ8 a few years back. My , how i lOVED that car, always dependable, reliable , incredible gas mileage, comfortable , and so exclusive. But i always wanted a XJR, so i sold my XJ8 and bought my XJR, took me 2 years to find the Jaguar Racing Green / oatmeal interior combination with low miles . Wow, talk about power !!!!!!!! 0-60 in 5 seconds and 13 second quarter miles times, back in 04 , that was pretty impressive for a 4 door sedan, even now , that is pretty respectable for a 12 year old car. I want to choke people when they say that Jaguars are not dependable, they have been THE most dependable cars i have ever owned . Yes , i have owned BMW ( the Ultimate maintenance machine ) and Mercedes Benz, ( expensive to repair ) Just look at the reviews of Jaguar owners, and see what they say about their cars. I bought mine used with 70K miles, the only problem was a part in the A/C unit, my mechanic fixed it with a Genuine jaguar part , that cost much less than an after market part. I take mine on long journeys, and get anywhere from 27-29 MPG at 75 MPH, and that is with a 400HP Supercharged V8. In town, typical mileage is 22MPG. Take care of your Jaguar, do the required maintenance , and your jaguar will take care of you for many years, with a wonderful driving experience. The 04 -08 Jaguars are the last of the traditional Jaguar design models , before they were changed. They are an incredible bargain for a classic, dependable automobile.

So much fun!
By Dale

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJR 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

This car is so much fun for the money. Many people will say its ok or why a Jag , but you always can see they really like it in there face. The car would seem high priced to own but it is very reasonable. Big brembo brakes , all aluminum body and chassis and 400 hp it packs a punch! It rides on air bags, it has covette like handling, and style like royality. You slide into that rich leather and find its really a drivers car. I was looking at BMW, Camaro ,and other cars and the XJR BEETS THEM ALL HANDS DOWN. You will love it.