Used 1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

Stand out in the Crowd but get credit card ready!
By Mike Marshall

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ8 4dr Sedan

If you can't afford to drive a $70K car then don't and this applies to used/older ones. I'm 55, a car nut since a kid and buy cars based on looks but that can be expensive. If you want reliability you'll have to buy an ugly Japanese car but if you want something "cool" well this Red 1999 Jaguar XJ8 with chrome wheels is gorgeous BUT buy one from someone else who has already spent thousands of dollars on the many repairs that come with "being cool". I bought this car around 2012 from Orig owner with 61K miles in San Diego in show room condition but was APPALLED to see all of the repair receipts from the original owner on a car with only 61K miles. The receipts totaled well over $12,000 and YES you will replace those plastic timing belt tensioners (orig. owner paid for that thankfully!) The only reason I bought this is because I'm retired so don't drive much and have only put 5,000 miles on it and hoping for now more expensive repairs but have had one of the 8 expensive coils replaced, windshield wiper reservoir leaks, oil pan gasket just replaced, smog issue fixed. Potential head gasket leak as of now. Front shock blown. All that in Just the 5000 miles that I've driven it. SO on the positive side, it is a classic beautiful car, drives and handles like a Corvette, great power esp. when sport mode is set. Quiet and nice to drive, took it up to 110 mph thru Camp Pendleton one night late with no traffic around and was quiet, felt safe, stable, solid and was very impressed. Interior is nice quality except cheap cup holders and no storage space. Tight back seat on this short wheel base model. If I bought one again I'd def. have gotten the XJR after seeing the almost 400Hp and foot lbs of torque and 0-60 in 5.2 seconds (better than my former 1999 Mercedes S600 V-12 by a full second!) Those are even worse in reliability/repairs (NEVER touch a Mercedes built after 1991!) So, like anything in life, "you get what you paid for" and got a great buy at only $5000 BUT can see why these cars are so cheap because of terrible reliability but will enjoy occasionally driving it and it gets TONS of compliments from both old and young people as it really stands out on the road. Ford improved it in 1997 but would not recommend this car to anyone on a "budget" as "it pay$ to be cool" but for $5K in this mint condition I do love the car and I've owned 60+cars. Remember, if you buy...........look for orig owner WITH ALL REPAIR RECEIPTS AND MAKE SURE TENSIONERS HAVE BEEN REPLACED AS IT IS "DNA" DEFECT AND WILL COST YOU SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS TO REPAIR. The last receipt I got from the old guy/orig owner was for $4900 for misc stuff that should NOT break! **My mechanic says best to get a 2000+model as it works better with the newer computer analytic repair tools that mechanics use. Also, helpful hint, if your message center comes up with "Stability control/ABS" not working, don't automatically assume you need the expensive main computer module, mechanic says each 4 wheels has a single monitor and even just one going out will give out this message BUT way cheaper to replace just the 1 or 2 individual wheel sensors VS main computer module which may NOT be the problem. Also just disconnecting the battery to "reset" it works often. As mentioned, electronic issues are one of the main problems on these cars. ON the good side, car saved my life when I swerved harder than I ever have to avoid a car of the freeway that cut out of bumper to bumper traffic right in front of me as I was going by at approx 50mph, this Jag handled like a "go cart" and handled beautifully and went right around that car with no squeeling, leaning, rolling over. IT DID EXACTLY WHAT MY EMERGENCY REFLECTS TOLD IT TO DO AND AVOIDED A HEAD ON COLLISION!! THANK YOU JAGUAR!! (and I still look cool in it!!!) I get offers to buy this car often!

Love to drive it
By sansui

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ8 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Jag in Sept and knew it had problems, but was going to take that in stride. It had a bad ignition coil and when I got that fixed it purred like a kitten with a power meal. I still have a couple of problems to take care of then it's off for some long drives. It drives like a luxury vehicle it is, and at 75 it just barely hums along the interstate. It averaged 23 mph, which I thought was a little poor until I l read the specs. I don't like the way the brake and gas pedal are so close to each other in that I can't get my right foot in between them while on cruise. The seat sets a little bit low for me, in that I have to almost pull myself into the seat. All said, I love it.
Now, after more than three years, it is starting to show lots of stuff that are needing repaired. I am thinking the previous owner(s) only had one thing in mind when they purchased it. To drive and have fun. I drove it to British Columbia, 3000 miles plus, having faith it would take me and bring me back. One small problem came up, but with the help of a repair shop along the way, I made it. It averaged 24 at interstate speed, and a little better on the highways.
I have replaced the seats, front and back, installed new speakers in the doors, put on Pirelli's, of which I love, and have bought some small items of which I think I can replace.
Right now the sunroof went out on me, and along with that, the felt liner has become loose. Also, upon furhter inspection, I was told that the valve cover gasket's are leaking. So, I have yet another problem. Or two. I can't seem to find anyone that can tell me if the accessory lights in the luggage compartment are supposed to be there or if someone added them on later. The lights are just dangling there, and they don't work.
So, as you can read, it's been a very frustrating time for me. If I had known back then, what I know now, I would have spent that money into a sport, like an XKE. Well, wish me luck in getting it back on the road...

Wow
By rainere

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ8 4dr Sedan

I've had my xj8 for about 6 months now and it just got past 1000 miles that I put on since I bought it. What can I say? It's an absolute amazing car, just got in a wreck with a Jeep and held up like a champ, I felt completely safe and secure in that car and believe me the same can't be said for the Jeep. The car is a tank, I love it, it's peppy and fast and sexy on the inside. So happy with the results of my purchase. I'm sad that the car was hit, but she is being repaired by the best shop I know specializing in British imports. Love my car, she's the best. Never getting rid of her.

Interior wood graining, overall sleekness of the body, of course the little jaguar on the hood.

A little more head room would be nice, I'm tall (5'10"), don't always brush the top but sometimes it can't be helped.

26 Days of pure enjoyment
By bconno2003

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ8 4dr Sedan

My First Jag I had gotten the '99 XJ8 late Sept. 2012 with 109,000 miles on it and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately financed it (separate issue altogether) and got plates about a week before the temps expired. 26 days later exactly on my Cousins wedding on my way to there a deer was hunting me and ran out in front and messed up the driver side fender and totaling it out. pretty much had a 26 day test drive on the vehicle since I got a check after the deductible and loan paid off lol.
Gave me a taste of the big cats and my replacement is going to be another Jag this time paid for with CASH! Whoo Hoo! Here Kitty Kitty! PS I'm in my mid to late 20s

4.0L V8, Sport Mode, Stability Control, 6 Disc CD Changer (in the boot), The power, the performance, the grip and road feel (except on Ice was very squirrelly but could have been the tires), three driver memory settings, and the electronic tilt steering column that tilted all the way up when pulled the key out and went to the adjustment when you put the key in.

tiny bit cramped for us americans that are slightly bigger. Massive Battery located in the Boot (Truck for you Yanks out there) Cheap Cupholder built into top of Center console that kept popping off of its hinge.

Not very reliable
By Jimmy

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I have had this car almost 2 years now without much luck. Unless you have plenty of money to put into it look elsewhere. You can bet you will need a new timing chain kit somewhere starting at 60,000. Poor, poor design on the chain and guides. This is an expensive fix!! Very!! Fixes...Power antenna (of course), driver seat power switch, rear view mirror, vacuum lines, brakes (warped rotors). The check engine light is always coming on, different problem each time. Transmission fluid is $65.00 a quart. No owner service. The car is good looking and very nice to drive, but the problems with it are horrible. There are a lot of nice looking cars out there...I would choose one of them!!

Looks, ride