Used 1996 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

A Great Luxury Highway Car 5 star
By Richard

1996 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I love my 1996 Jaguar XJ 6 Vanden Plas. Karden Premium sound system - Long wheelbase -118k miles. This car is loaded. New $70 grand ! Sapphire Blue, cream interior. A real head turner. Immaculate condition like new. Garage kept. I drive only in the summer. Irreplaceable ! Service twice a year. a 5 star mechanic - like my Jag. A great Highway Car. Now a collectors car. JR

First XJ6 last car-- ever
By Bruce Kuda

1996 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

this is with out a doubt the finest car I have ever owned. Workmanship is as good as or better than my old S-1 Bentley. The car practically drives itself except when you want to drive it then it will do just about anything you want it to. It is Easy to work on- the mechanicals make sense- not like some of the new cars. I bought my 1996 Vanden Plas Jag used, it is a one owner and was well loved- the car was almost perfect. The mileage was 146,000 when I got it. Initially I had some trouble with vibrations and wheel wobble in the steering wheel. had tires balanced, put new front rotors and checked pads- replaced blown shock- checked wheel bearing, tie rod and ball joints all was fine but still had intermittent wobble. Checked tire pressure 36PSI all around. Finally I checked the owners book- it said tire pressure was supposed to be 36PSI~~~~~ unless you had unapproved tires- I checked mine were not approved it said unapproved tires should be 44PSI-- aired them up and trouble went away. ~~~~~~~~~~~ Best part is the car cost me 2995.00 off the dealers lot- wow what a bargain- Prices on these are so reasonable I may look for another one to keep under a tarp until this one is all used up in the next 200,000 miles or so ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
okay it is 6 months later- when this car is running it is still the best, BUT, many little issues , electrical ,heater ,brakes rust floor boards~~~ all cost money even for a DIY guy like me--- Had to buy a second cars ) not a Jag) so I could be sure to make it to work--- its a great hobby car- but mines not a reliable daily driver- it is 21 years old

jAGUAR Fun
By David R. Snyder

1996 Jaguar XJ-Series XJS 2dr Convertible

FIND ONE THAT HAS BEEN LOVED AND TAKEN CARE OF OTHERWISE YOU WILL SUFFER TOO MUCH TIME AT THE SHOP AND I RECOMMEND 1993 OR NEWER. Wonderful dependable automobiles.

*CLASS & DASH*
By mongoose4

1996 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ6 4dr Sedan

Owned now for 4 years, found it on local Craigslist wanted 6K, got it 4.5K. Mint body (9+), Int 8, new tires, subwoofer. Engine compartment look new. Had a few issues mechanically-wheel bearings, frozen brake caliper. Put 2K into it, rebuilt throttle body + previous mentioned. Cant beat the looks, performance. Really where can you get this for <7K today & 3 years from collector plates ;)

What a great car for the $$$
By fritzthecat1

1996 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 8 months. Purchased with 90K and currently has 101K on it. Immediate repairs when purchased were minor. Rear seal replaced, front shocks replaced and a new set of tires. It has burnt NO OIL between oil changes which I do every 8K due to type of oil used and filter used. After 8K the oil still looked clean. MPG for the area(hilly) is not bad. It gets compliments everywhere I go. It is actually easier DIY repair that I ever thought and parts are cheap if you shop for them.

The list of features are numerous, all are great. Love the heated seats for those chilly days. Rear Fog lights are very safe for those dismal grey days in the north east.

NONE